New expat in the neighborhood

New expat living on Negros seeks accurate info. on using US driver's license in Philippines (as much detail on this, please).  Would appreciate any help.

Hi and welcome to Expat.com SteveUSA !

This thread might help i guess: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=172129

Regards
Armand

That will be no problem in Vietnam.

Hi
ur licence is valid in Phils for 3 month after u arrive
so if u went home every 3 mths u would never need Phils licence
just keep a copy of ur passport with entry date with u
I've been here 3yrs so far on Aust licence
Pete

Thanks Peter , useful info.

blueoakey wrote:

Hi
ur licence is valid in Phils for 3 month after u arrive
so if u went home every 3 mths u would never need Phils licence
just keep a copy of ur passport with entry date with u
I've been here 3yrs so far on Aust licence
Pete

I need to correct regarding this unless someone else is reading the thread also.

It's true that an American drivers license is valid for 90 days upon your arrival stamp to the country. But if you're from another country, kindly check beforehand from Philippine LTO since it really depends on your country, validity is either 30, 60 or 90 days.

Your drivers license also needs to be in English language, if not it needs to have a translation from your own home embassy with embassy authentication.

Thanks, just wanted to add.

NICE TOPIC!  :) I'm learning here..

Thanks all,as also learning from this topic.

Thanks for the info. Cheers.

Foreigners can drive for up to 3 month with their International Driver's License from abroad in the Philippines. If you stay longer, you should get a local driver's license from the Philippines.

To get a Philippine Driver's License, you have two choices: You can convert your valid foreign license into a Philippine one or you could make a new one.

If you decide to make a new one, bring the following papers to your local LTO (Land Transport Office):

Duly accomplished Application for Driver's License
Passport and copy of it
original ACR (Alien Certificate of Registration) & copy of it. (available at Immigration Office)
Permit (VISA & stamp) to stay in the country for at least five months and has already stayed in the country for at least one month
Medical certificate
Negative Drug Test result (Drug Test and medical can usually be done at some units near the LTO)
Make sure to dress in long pants, shirt & shoes when you go to the LTO or Immigration office. No slippers, short pants and T-Shirt!
You will first receive a Student license which you may upgrade to a "Non Professional License" after at least one month. The total cost for all fees and charges is about 340.60 Peso!

If you decide to convert your foreign license, you will also need the same papers as above plus the original & a copy of your foreign license. If your license in not written in English, it must be translated by the embassy or consular offices.