Driving license in the Philippines

Hi all,

Can a foreigner take the driving test in the Philippines?

What are the formalities to get a driver's licence in the Philippines?

Do you need special or extra documents being an expatriate?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for participating ;).

Armand

If you have a current drivers licence in your home country it is good for 30 days in the phil. Once there youll need to go to the office that issues licences, take a drug test, fill out paperwork and pay the fee. As long as your home licence is current there is no exam involved, to the best of my research.

Thanks for your post scotth!;)

Harmonie.

scotth wrote:

If you have a current drivers licence in your home country it is good for 30 days in the phil. Once there youll need to go to the office that issues licences, take a drug test, fill out paperwork and pay the fee. As long as your home licence is current there is no exam involved, to the best of my research.

Further, i think you can convert your license in our home country to a driving license here. I had my driving license in Saudi and then i converted it here. No exams needed. I guess it would be applicable for foreigners as well.

Good luck!

What about scooter driving here? Do I need licence for up to 50cc? What else do I need except my helmet and scooter itself? Cheers

I'm afraid u need one as long as the SCOOTER is classified as a MOTORCYCLE. :D

Cheers Seeker!

I would like to refresh this post...

I read that the international driving license is valid for 90 days in PH (and not 30), is it correct?
And to convert it into a PH License, what are the details steps as I read/heard different versions depending on which LTO's office you choose...

Thanks

scotth wrote:

actually I believe the foreign license is good for 100 days after arrival. then you are required to have either a Int'l or if a permanent resident a Philippine license

Thanks, I will always travel with my international license but will do what is necessary as I will be permanent resident.

I went with my wife, who is a Filipina. The entire process took 1 day. The first place we went was in a mall where we presented our passport and California drivers license and paid some pesos.  We then went to a medical where we gave a urine sample and took an eye test and paid some more pesos. We then went to a couple more locations, our photos were taken, we paid more pesos and were handed our new licenses.  We got to see a lot of the area and were lost much of the time. I choose not to drive past our local area because the Philippine drivers are morons and do NOT follow any rules as the police do not enforce the rules so they drive any way they want.  Not many accidents, because it's difficult to go very fast with so many rude drivers cutting you off and stopping in the middle of the road (the Jeepneys and motor-tricycles especially ! ! !)

easyrider wrote:

I went with my wife, who is a Filipina. The entire process took 1 day. The first place we went was in a mall where we presented our passport and California drivers license and paid some pesos.  We then went to a medical where we gave a urine sample and took an eye test and paid some more pesos. We then went to a couple more locations, our photos were taken, we paid more pesos and were handed our new licenses.  We got to see a lot of the area and were lost much of the time. I choose not to drive past our local area because the Philippine drivers are morons and do NOT follow any rules as the police do not enforce the rules so they drive any way they want.  Not many accidents, because it's difficult to go very fast with so many rude drivers cutting you off and stopping in the middle of the road (the Jeepneys and motor-tricycles especially ! ! !)

No more drug testing...

I just got mine so this is the update (from the office)

Youours from your country is valid for 6 months. No drug test but in cebuI had to go to this doctor and read an eye chart (extra money). Process took me 2hs but they no longer issue for a 4 wheeled and a motorcycle on the same day (so you must pay twice) you must come back the 2nd day and pay again but no doc. And then you can drive anything with four wheels or less for service only (no taxi/jeepney/trike if it is lisonsed as hire) all and all I think less then $150 (6000) but i don't remember for sure price.

penoy have a full day waitI was in and out fast

It cost me less than 800 pesos total to get my license in San Juan, Manila metro and only took 3 hours but that was over 2 years ago..

last month i had my european license fotocopyd and this copy translated by a oficial translater in english
than i went to LTO in Davao after filling in the documents i went next door for medical clearance and once this clrearance was atached to my documents i got my pinoy license (no frug test was aquired)
costs medical 200Php,LTO 617Php
so very cheap
as i dilike fixers ,i told al those who presented to help me by telling them i woold raport them to the autority so they woold get prosecuted for coruption  ,that worked like a dream .
hope this was of help to al who want to get there local license.
greets Dirk

From what I understand now you have to have 1 year left on your visa, that would prevent those on tourest visa from getting a driver's license,

Yes you are right your licence is good for 90 days in the Philippines for those who extend their visa.
The driving information is on the Philippine Consulate website. I printed a copy of it to produce at check points as some Police are ignorant of the law.