Moving to Guatemala

I am exploring the idea of moving to Guatemala sometime next spring and would like to know a few things related to the country.I am single.The most important to me is Internet providers because I am making my living using my computer.Here is a list of the other important things I'd like to know:

-Banking system.ATM service.I am paid by wire transfer from US but to my bank account I still keep in US.
-Housing and prices.What can you rent for ex with $400 a month???
-What cities are safer and closer to nature possible?I don't need to live in the center of a big city for ex.IF I have an Internet connection at the outskirts of a city it would be fine.
-How far would be food stores/supermarkets/markets?Is there necessary to have a car?Is a bus system available?
-Can I renew the visa every year?
-Is there an American Consulate or Embassy?I am an American citizen.

So far these would be for now my questions.I'd appreciate if somebody can give me a closer to reality answer.Also if any of you lived in Yucatan/Mexico,how much it differs living in Guatemala than Mexico?

Thank you very much,
best

Hello kukulcan56.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope other members will be able to help you.

In meantime, you can go through the other threads on the Guatemala forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Dear Member,

Living here permanently I can fill you in for some of your questions.

Internet
The easiest is to rent a house with a hard phone line.. You can get different size I use 1 gb
it cost $70 per month very stable and fast.
Some cities and villages have internet cable not so fast but it does work
Now if you are in the wood we use also a USB modem that work over the cell phone system
You pay $ 45 per month for 8 gb for a month and if you use it you can refill it.
If you really need fast system you can have a satellite system cost of installation and then $ 65 to $ 265 per month

Banking
The Guatemalan banks the 3 best one (Banco Industrial, Banco Agromercantil, Banco GyT) are very stable and conservative banks.
When you live here you can open a bank account in Dollars either a saving account or checking account. Then transfer your money to your account in Guatemala the fees are around $ 15 per transfer.Then you get US $ or Guatemalan Money Quetzales

HOUSING
Cost of housing are depending of the city you will choose
Guatemala city for one bedroom apartment more above $ 600.00
Antigua high demand and wide range of prices but if you go to the villages near by
price drop
Lake Atitlan you can have a good house for $ 400.00 but average $ 500.00
Quetzaltenango more in the $ 500.00

CITIES
Guatemalan cities are small. buses in Guatemalan and Quetzaltenango
Antigua, Atitlan moto taxi tuk tuk

VISA
If you come under the tourist visa you have the right to stay 3 months renewable and then
need to get out the country for 3 days and start all again.
To renew after 3 months you can do it in the city or use the services..

In Guatemala you have the full services of your embassy.

Let me know if you need more info..

Armand, very good info! Thank you. Once you live in GT for 3 months, can you then apply for residency? And what are the next steps to acquiring a full passport/citizenship?