Hello, and a question...

Hi everyone!

My name is Roxie, I live in the US, and I came to this site to help bridge the cultural gap between me and my new friend/lover, who just happens to be from Denmark. :)

This is going to be a really odd first question.

When Danish guys go for STD testing and pee in a cup, WHAT SPECIFIC DISEASES does the doctor check for? When someone walks in to a clinic in Copenhagen and asks to be checked for koenssygdomme, what does that include?

The reason I ask is that he told me he got tested "for everything". To me, that means a blood test for HIV and syphilis, and culture tests for bacterial infections such as gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc. I tested negative for these and others. I asked him what his results were...and he doesn't even know in Danish what he was tested for, let alone the English terms!! So apparently, he and I have very different definitions of the word "everything"! :(

Please help me quiet my mind...what do Danish doctors check for when Danish guys don't care enough to ask??? I hear you have an excellent and thorough health care system...please prove to me that this is true!

Thanks in advance,

A very worried Roxie

While I don't know the answer to this question, it should be easy enough for this friend of yours to call up his doctor and ask for a print-out of the report of what he was tested for.  The Danish healthcare system is very good at keeping records and having those records available.

Thank you, actually I didn't think of that!

I just e-mailed him. We'll see what he has to say when he gets it. He can be a bit stubborn at times.

Grrr...how can someone live to be almost 30 in a country with great healthcare, have plenty of experience, and not know what STD testing involves? I get the feeling something's rotten in the proverbial state of... :(

Rox

Not a word from the Dane. And we were communicating daily. Oh, I could choke him!

Lesson learned...don't take their word for it...take them to the clinic myself before taking them to bed...

Thank you anyway, ThisGirlSaysOw. It was worth a shot.

I was reading about health requirements for US entry on cdc.gov, but I still don't understand if they are truly mandatory or if they can be waived. Ah well. Time and re-testing will tell. 

Rox