Someone looking for a little adventure while getting an education

Hello everybody.

My name is Will.  I am an American looking to take advantage of my dual citizenship with the Philippines to go to school and possibly work.

I have been in the Pharmaceutical industry within Pharmacovigilance (adverse event reporting) and Clinical Data Management.  I wouldn't mind changing careers for the time being I am in the Philippines in order to survive.

I am not looking for a girlfriend or wife. Just looking to get out of the USA during the economic downturn, for it seems there is more for me in the Philippines than there is in the USA.

Hey! Im on the opposite belief!! Coz im thinking if i can get to US i can have better career and future. Im still waiting for this stupid visa, got me waiting since 2007. Im a nurse with uS license, had it renewed 2x-without actually using it!! How crazy can that be??? Haha

welcome to the blog Will

do share your experience with all of us here

take care

Life is not any better abroad.
You will work you ass off for years and die with little or no savings. If you want to make something out from your life, there is other ways. I hope you find the golden way.

Miss1234 wrote:

Hey! Im on the opposite belief!! Coz im thinking if i can get to US i can have better career and future. Im still waiting for this stupid visa, got me waiting since 2007. Im a nurse with uS license, had it renewed 2x-without actually using it!! How crazy can that be??? Haha

petrih wrote:

Life is not any better abroad.
You will work you ass off for years and die with little or no savings. If you want to make something out from your life, there is other ways. I hope you find the golden way.

I agree.  There is a big myth here in the Philippines about how great life is abroad.  I think it's perpetuated by OFWs.  What OFW calls home and complains about how hard life is an how little money they have?  They don't.  They put on the best face and say everything is grand.  Don't want to be negative, but it makes me sad at how this myth is perpetuated.

Miss1234 wrote:

If you come here now, without a degree, there will be no opportunity.  We have a higher unemployment rate (I realize that the Philippines has a much higher rate) and people are holding on hard to what jobs they have and not giving them up. 

As for your Nursing degree, you would do fine.  Nurses do quite well but the outsourcing issue has stopped many companies from going overseas for help, no matter how much they need nurses. Also consider the fact that in the face the salary range sounds good, our cost of living gets high.  Tax rates get higher the more you make as well.  Don't be mayabang about it when you do eventually get here, because you will end up looking like a fool in the end.

Good luck...

Miss1234 wrote:

Hi! While waiting for your visa you could also explore other opportunity here in the Philippines! if ever that you would change your mind on going abroad. Inform me. [Moderated: Communicate by PM please]

I learned from a life coach that opportunity is not geographically-determined; neither is it politically-determined. Yes, factors such as these may contribute. But you know what my mentor said? Opportunity is where YOU are.

In the Philippines, people in rural areas flock to the Metro in the hopes of greener pastures. People in the Metro, on the other hand, flock abroad, hoping for the same thing. The irony is that a lot of multinational companies are setting camp here, because they say the opportunity is here.

Something to think about ;)

As for the thread starter's concern... if you have experience with Pharma companies, you might want to take a look into my company. We're also into distribution of health and wellness products which we import from Utah, USA :) PM me if you want details.

While I enjoyed reading all of your posts and believe that your all correct.  Yet, I would like to share this point of view which I hope you all will consider.

We all seem to be on the move, or want to move, because we believe that the "Grass is Greener on the Other side of the Mountain."  Okay, it may be.  Yet, I would like to share the following. 

Why not we all stay put.  Yep, stay right where we are, and figure out what we can do to make money.  (I'm certain that's why we all want in the end isn't it?)

But the problem is that we don't have money to make money, nor maybe, we have the ability, to figure out what it is that we can do to become successful.  Correct?  Let's face it, it's hard, if you don't have money "back-you-up.)  Or it is hard to visualize which business will be successful. 

I would like to propose this.  (I'm thinking as I'm sharing this that there could be even more ideas out there but we, you and I, haven't thought about them yet.)  Here we go.  Why not look in areas that you have never thought of before.  And these exist right here in the USA and in the Philippines.

Why not look into investments...  There are bonds, stocks, commodities, land, homes, condos, apartments or mutual funds.  These are but a few to think about.  (At this point, I'm hoping that you say, I've never head of some of these, or, no way, takes to much money. 

Well, again, these exist in both countries.  I'm guessing, you have never read anything about the above mentioned words.  Okay, you read about land, apartments, condos,and maybe a few others.  What about a mutual fund?  Have you heard about that.

What if I shared with you that, this investment, is one that you can invest in, and not have to think, (except to figure out which one you want) and it will make you wealthy?  What if I shared that they excist in the USA and in the Philippines?  What if I shared also, that the best one I have come across is right there in Manila.  Right next to the stock exchange in one of the towers.  And yes, there are plenty in the USA.

Now, rather than me tell you which one to invest in.  (And you shouldn't believe me because for all you know, it is a scam)  Why not, stay put and read about mutual funds on the Internet)   I challange you to do this. 

Become educated on how it works.  Also, become firmiliar with the Rule of 72  (look it up)  It will share how fast your money doubles.  (Finance rule)

After you convince yourself that you can become very very wealthy,  all you have to do is work, (I know no job) and put your money in there.

Now, from living in the Philippines for 5 years, building two homes, traveliing, I know, Filipinos are, what's the right word, worried about false information.  (That's why I shared YOU read about mutual funds and the rule of 72 in the Internet.) 

You can become very very very wealthy... all you have to do is read.  Something, (so not to offend you, something that we don't do in the USA, (READ) and certainly don't do in the Philippines.

As for the young man who wants to travel from the USA to thePhilippines, you will only make a couple of dollars a day.  That's it, and that's if you find a job that pays that.  You stay put, and work your ass off in the USA, and invest.  As for the nurse, who is waiting for her visa to travel to the USA, I wish you the best, but in the mean time, work, read, and invest. 

Reguards,  Oh, almost forgot, Look up Philequity Management, mutual fund, in the Philippines.  Then, use the drop down window to find Philequity fund.  This fund is outstanding....

Reguards, now,

Joe

As for the "grass is greener on the other side" comments, my sister moved from Chicago suburbs with nothing but green grass to Las Vegas where grass is non-existent. And she is quite happy! I kid! LOL.

I have things set up so I can at least survive. But looking toward the future I don't have to go back to the USA and end up defaulting on my loans, or at the very least work hard to pay a high tuition loan. The schools are more than reasonable, and because I am eligible for dual citizenship, I wouldn't have to pay the foreigner fee. $2000 a year for one of the high end schools versus paying back $20,000-$30,000 a year. I have friends who are stuck at near $100,000 just for their Bachelors and taking out more loan to get the masters so they can afford to make the minimum payment.

I know things are going to be hard for me. I am psychologically prepared for the worst, but still hoping for the best. I have researched for jobs with decent pay to cost of living ratio.  I have family there who are willing to help me out.  When I say I has nothing left in the USA, I didn't mean It entirely pointed to something monetary. I have deep seated personal reasons as well.I have travelled there so much and have loved what I've seen.

Sounds like you have a plan.  Wonderful, go after it, and that's that.  Just be carefull in the Philippines, it is easy to get tied down and then, you have some additional concerns, which will limit you even more, in the future.  And, as I always like to say.  "Make certain you have money in your pocket for a return flight in case you need it.  Some additional tips:

1.  Don't share with anyone your plans.
2.  If you have  problem with a girl, don't share anything, just leave. 
3.  Invest in Philequity Fund.

Alps222004 wrote:

Sounds like you have a plan.  Wonderful, go after it, and that's that.  Just be carefull in the Philippines, it is easy to get tied down and then, you have some additional concerns, which will limit you even more, in the future.  And, as I always like to say.  "Make certain you have money in your pocket for a return flight in case you need it.  Some additional tips:

1.  Don't share with anyone your plans.
2.  If you have  problem with a girl, don't share anything, just leave. 
3.  Invest in Philequity Fund.

My family in Cebu already know what I am doing, but are willing to be there for me when I do need help and refuge (just two family members I trust, however).  As for the return flight, I have family in the USA who will bail me out in a hot minute if need be.  We aren't a rich family, but we can hold our own. 

But as for Manila those I know think that I am moving there permanently and not returning to the US.

I am already in process of Nullification of Marriage in Cebu so I know first hand about being tied down.  I know it's a long drawn out process.  But the monetary cost are about the same as getting a divorce aside from the flights I have to take just to have it taken care of.

All angles have been looked over and discussed, and looked over again.  My bills in the USA are nearly paid off, credit cards are being closed left and right.  My bank account is already set up for international use so I won't have to depend on Western Union. 

I will have to think about the Philequity fund.  That is some nice advice.  If I do land a job there, it will be interesting to build some money that way.

My gugestion is you contact hospitals here in USA,if you contact them directly,ive heard of them doing everything for some pinays,and will offer you a good salary,as long as you agree to work for them for some years,reach for the starsand believe in yourself but never give up,goodluck to you.Please stay in contact.thanks.

this msg is for mism 1234

Thanks for the info borilove. I have good contacts and we're working on that at the moment and hopefully Ill be deployed soon.
I feel sorry for the newly grad nurses who couldnt practice the profession in our own country due to lack of opportunities for it. Nursing schools were shut down, lots of my nursing colleagues were laid off. Plus it has been a trend for us to pay other hospitals in the Philippines just to get a position for the training and wont be paid during the entire period. I guess that's not an attractive scene for us in the Philippines when it comes to practicing and being productive with the nursing career.
I agree it has never been easy being away from home and to work. Im an expat so I fully understand how bloody it is. Yeah there are those who become 'mayabang' then just end up being screwed, im glad I was not raised like that. My family back home is my inspiration and motivation and Ill always hold on to the values they taught me.
I love my profession and I wish Philippines can offer the same opportunity for us nurses so we dont have to leave anymore.
But on the brighter side of being an expat, it is a great life changing experience. Being alone and away from home, living in a foreign country, being discriminated a lot of times, all the hi's and goodbye's from people you had, all these hard times made me a better person. So it's not all about the money after all.

Would you be interested in trying to go into education? There has been a boom in the education industry and the need for native English speakers is growing. I work at the Tutorial and Language Center at Enderun Colleges in Mckinley Hill, Fort Bonifacio and if you're interested in opportunities with us, feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Best of luck on your endeavors!

Regards,
Nicai Cervantes

flipicaneze wrote:

Hello everybody.

My name is Will.  I am an American looking to take advantage of my dual citizenship with the Philippines to go to school and possibly work.

I have been in the Pharmaceutical industry within Pharmacovigilance (adverse event reporting) and Clinical Data Management.  I wouldn't mind changing careers for the time being I am in the Philippines in order to survive.

I am not looking for a girlfriend or wife. Just looking to get out of the USA during the economic downturn, for it seems there is more for me in the Philippines than there is in the USA.

Well being this post is almost 2 years old and Expat.com has yet to discontinue this thread then it must be everyone wants to know how you made out...Are you back in the USA or still struggling here in the confusing Philippines...

Alps222004 wrote:

While I enjoyed reading all of your posts and believe that your all correct.  Yet, I would like to share this point of view which I hope you all will consider.

We all seem to be on the move, or want to move, because we believe that the "Grass is Greener on the Other side of the Mountain."  Okay, it may be.  Yet, I would like to share the following. 

Why not we all stay put.  Yep, stay right where we are, and figure out what we can do to make money.  (I'm certain that's why we all want in the end isn't it?)

But the problem is that we don't have money to make money, nor maybe, we have the ability, to figure out what it is that we can do to become successful.  Correct?  Let's face it, it's hard, if you don't have money "back-you-up.)  Or it is hard to visualize which business will be successful. 

I would like to propose this.  (I'm thinking as I'm sharing this that there could be even more ideas out there but we, you and I, haven't thought about them yet.)  Here we go.  Why not look in areas that you have never thought of before.  And these exist right here in the USA and in the Philippines.

Why not look into investments...  There are bonds, stocks, commodities, land, homes, condos, apartments or mutual funds.  These are but a few to think about.  (At this point, I'm hoping that you say, I've never head of some of these, or, no way, takes to much money. 

Well, again, these exist in both countries.  I'm guessing, you have never read anything about the above mentioned words.  Okay, you read about land, apartments, condos,and maybe a few others.  What about a mutual fund?  Have you heard about that.

What if I shared with you that, this investment, is one that you can invest in, and not have to think, (except to figure out which one you want) and it will make you wealthy?  What if I shared that they excist in the USA and in the Philippines?  What if I shared also, that the best one I have come across is right there in Manila.  Right next to the stock exchange in one of the towers.  And yes, there are plenty in the USA.

Now, rather than me tell you which one to invest in.  (And you shouldn't believe me because for all you know, it is a scam)  Why not, stay put and read about mutual funds on the Internet)   I challange you to do this. 

Become educated on how it works.  Also, become firmiliar with the Rule of 72  (look it up)  It will share how fast your money doubles.  (Finance rule)

After you convince yourself that you can become very very wealthy,  all you have to do is work, (I know no job) and put your money in there.

Now, from living in the Philippines for 5 years, building two homes, traveliing, I know, Filipinos are, what's the right word, worried about false information.  (That's why I shared YOU read about mutual funds and the rule of 72 in the Internet.) 

You can become very very very wealthy... all you have to do is read.  Something, (so not to offend you, something that we don't do in the USA, (READ) and certainly don't do in the Philippines.

As for the young man who wants to travel from the USA to thePhilippines, you will only make a couple of dollars a day.  That's it, and that's if you find a job that pays that.  You stay put, and work your ass off in the USA, and invest.  As for the nurse, who is waiting for her visa to travel to the USA, I wish you the best, but in the mean time, work, read, and invest. 

Reguards,  Oh, almost forgot, Look up Philequity Management, mutual fund, in the Philippines.  Then, use the drop down window to find Philequity fund.  This fund is outstanding....

Reguards, now,

Joe

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT!! Anyone knows mutual funds are nothing but a scam...Only the company personnel make any money from investors...After outlandish fees and downturns in the markets over a course of 5 to 15 years the investment made loses on average over 50% of its equity....This BLOG is becoming nothing more than a place where EXPATS can come and listen to Bullshit like you have written...You mentioned SCAM right? Well put that at the very end of your companies name...

vetretreat wrote:

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT!! Anyone knows mutual funds are nothing but a scam...Only the company personnel make any money from investors...After outlandish fees and downturns in the markets over a course of 5 to 15 years the investment made loses on average over 50% of its equity....This BLOG is becoming nothing more than a place where EXPATS can come and listen to Bullshit like you have written...You mentioned SCAM right? Well put that at the very end of your companies name...

Wow, you've been a member since last April and just now found this OLD (2012) posting. Don't you think it's a bit late for such indignation, especially that the OP isn't even around anymore? (look at number of posting under his name).

While you're in the reading mode would you also read the PHILIPPINES FORUM CODE OF CONDUCT giving attention to the section regarding "OPINIONS". While you're free to express opposing opinions they should not take the form of personal attacks or be in any way abusive. Also foul language is not necessary in the forums, especially since in this case it serves no purpose whatsoever since the person you're so angry at will probably never see it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Hi,

We don't see any point unearthing old threads to indulge in useless personal attacks.
We close for now.

Thanks
Armand
Expat.com Team

Closed