Price of cigarette?

every time I went to get some cigarette, seems like every shop has its own price.

As i know, price of cigarette usually fixed by Federal or central or regional government, but seems like it is not in VN.

Am i correct or am i just being ripped off by owners?

Andy_k,

Nothing is fixed here, bro!  That is especially true when it comes to prices of cigarettes, particularly the smuggled ones.

But, to avoid being ripped-off, you should find a nice and nearby vendor, then just buy it from him or her.  After he or she has seen you for a while, you will get the fair market price.

Wild_1 wrote:

Andy_k,

Nothing is fixed here, bro!  That is especially true when it comes to prices of cigarettes, particularly the smuggled ones.

But, to avoid being ripped-off, you should find a nice and nearby vendor, then just buy it from him or her.  After he or she has seen you for a while, you will get the fair market price.

Thanks

No wonder prices had been up and down :D
It is not really ripped off prices, just 1-3,000 VND differences.. I was just curious :D

Either way, its dirt cheap in Vietnam.:D

But I aint buying anymore. I quit.....

Andy_K,

I have found that if a foreigner is asking in vietnamese what the price of things are, chances are you won't get ripped-off, because they think that if you can speak you also know the "real" price.

OTOH it depends where you buy. Obviously in places like Nguyen Hue a vendor needs to charge higher prices to be able to pay his rent. Same is for remote areas where the distribution chain is longer than in cities.

But I agree with Wild_1, try to become a freequent customer at your place of choise. Or even better quit smoking, I also just stopped (on my 8th day now after nearly 20 years of smoking).

On a side note, cigarettes in VN are distributed from the manufacturer to wholesellers without regulated retail or end consumer prices.

If you think you may be ripped-off, ask what the price of Craven A (Meo) is. For Craven A (as an example), a wholeseller with an output of 1-5 mio cigarettes per week may currently pay about 15,6-15,8K (per pack) and sell it for +/-16K (to anyone, regardless of amount) and sometimes they sell without making any direct profit at all.

IMO it's OK if a street vendor charges 18-20K for a pack of Craven A, take into account that he needs to make a living out of it and gets non of all the goodies that wholesellers do, besides it being a dangerous and not very nice job, sitting out on the street, in the sun or rain.....

(If you find anyone selling this brand to YOU lower than 16K they are most probably black market products, smuggled, stolen...).

Anyway, may I ask what brand you smoke, where you buy and what you pay (just curious)?

Sanke77,

I mostly smoke Malboro light (they probably changed to gold, but not sure) or Mild Seven light.

price of Malboro gold that I bought was vary depend on vendor. While I was living in Da Lat for 6month price was from 20k to 25k. In Long An (surb town of HCM) where I am doing internship now, I am just going one vendor which cost me 20k only.
Mild Seven light was 20k to 25k in Da Lat, but I am paying only 19k in Long An now.

I rarely buy Craven A, it was around 20k if i remember correctly. probably was ripped off! :)

andy_k wrote:

every time I went to get some cigarette, seems like every shop has its own price.

As i know, price of cigarette usually fixed by Federal or central or regional government, but seems like it is not in VN.

Am i correct or am i just being ripped off by owners?

I think the best way to feel free to smoke, is that u should buy a whole pack of cigarette and save it, its alot cheaper. I always buy them in Tran Quoc Toan street, along this street there are full of cigarette wholesales shops, and seriously with wholesale price :)
Peace !

Go late at night for cheaper prices like around 2-5 am. Or at least I think so. :/

Marlboro Gold is 23000 at a circle K....a mom and pop store could be had for between 18,000 and 21,000.... the most expensive are the girls with the briefcases full of smokes... they quoted me 35,000 recently.... also a hotel in Hoi An charged 55,000 in their lobby...

Dear Andy & friends,
You were not ripped off. For the price of cigarettes. Even Vietnamese have to buy same as how much your are quoted.
Hotel & Cafe' will quote higher price while cigarettes booths on the side walk is nearer producer price, each booth is different from others is around 1k - 5k VND.
So, now you are in Vietnam, this is Vietnamese life and something is different from yours.
I think, if my country and yours are the same, nobody travel here for discovery about people, culture & life.
Hope you have better mood when living here friends. :)

Anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 VND depending on the brand.

It's so cheap in Viet nam and its not fixed price :)

Hey there
The price is different, not fixed.
Its up to many things, the location of the shop, the size of the shop...
It is the same with everything at here, not only cigarette. Even the price between other super-market are different too

Phi Long wrote:

Anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 VND depending on the brand.

UK = 200,000 VND and rising..

If you buy ciggerettes in Vietnam, you will save lots of money. Because you die younger.

$14.00 Canadian for a pack of 20 and rising!🇨🇦

This afternoon, at the local VINMART. Again a cashier typed in a phony price. I had added up the purchases and voila, she overcharged 3,000 d.

This time, I made a little scene, very politely, acting confused, consulting the displaced prices... The manager was quick to collect the correct amount.

How much are your cigs and are they okay to smoke? You smoke a local brand? Ever tried the pipe thing people use to get ONE big lung full?

KruChris wrote:

This afternoon, at the local VINMART. Again a cashier typed in a phony price. I had added up the purchases and voila, she overcharged 3,000 d.

This time, I made a little scene, very politely, acting confused, consulting the displaced prices... The manager was quick to collect the correct amount.

13 cents US can add up, I guess.

Best,
Aidan