Cost of Living - Milan

Hi everybody,

I am looking for some information about the cost of living in Milan and was hopingsome one would be able t provide me with up to date prices for the following:

What is the estimated cost of renting a one bedroom apartment in the city centre of Milan?  Does anyone know of any websites that give clear information on this?  i am looking for a long term rental....

What are the costs of public transportation fares bus/taxi/train?

What is the monthly cost for utilities? And what is the current price for petrol?

What public holidays are there in Milan and how long will businesses be closed for?

I would be so grateful for any information you could give me

Thank you!

Welcome on Expat.com lfinney,

I have moved the discussion to the Milan forum ;)

Hi!
I was born in Milan and live in too so I can help you with your questions.
Forgive my English please!
The costs of renting are depends on where you decide to live.
There are many suburbs in Milan, near the centre prices are very high (about 1000 euro per month). I suggest you to consider to live in the provinces (as Rho that is about 20 minutes by train to Milan).
Costs of taxi are high so I suggest you to buy a season ticket or a pass for bus and train (it's about 30-50 euro per month).
Cost of utilities are about 50-100 euro per month.
Petrol: 1.50 euro per liter
I think that holiday are the same of England less or than.

If you want more information, feel free to write me.

I found my room through easystanza.it, although there are probably lots of other good sites. Rent is expensive, mine is around 600 euros but includes all bills etc. Transport is cheap here. Alcohol is expensive. I get the same amount of holidays as I did in Scotland.