Healthcare for chronic disease

Hiya all
I am 24 old girl from Denmark who is trying to finish my Academy Profession (AP) Degree in Chemical and Biotechnical Science.
And I been planning to take my internship in Malta to gain more experience and also because it's pretty hard at the moment to gain a internship in Denmark so I might as well try outside the boarders as well.

However, I got two chronic diseases
Ulcerative colitis (UC)
Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)

Normally I got a controlvisit at the hospital every 2 month. Luckily my Ulcerative colitis have been pretty calm since I got it treated after it was diagnosed around3 years ago. And my PSC isn't that bad, only a little ichining from time to time and a major but surviable “stomach ache” 1 or 2 time a month in average, sometimes more if I am stupid enough to eat "bad" food.

But as with all chronic diseases it can be a little unpredictable when an outbreak will appear... if it does appear.

So I was wondering if anyone knows if I need any special insurance or if Malta hospital even is able to control these diseases or “treat” them in case of an ourbreak.

I am talking with the hospital I am connected to at moment about it. But there are no harm in getting as much information as I can on the matter. Especially from some of you guys who are living down there.

Anyone who can help me with this?

Thanks

Hello MarleneH.

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope members will give you some informations. :)

Aurélie

Hi Marlene,

these conditions are certainly treatable in Malta. The treatments are standardised and depend on the exact stage and individual responses.

The question that arises is about the cost and coverage of costs if treatment becomes necessary during your internship in Malta. From the information available through your other post your are responsible for your own health care coverage.

That would mean you require private health care coverage for your stay in Malta or risk having to pay all expenses yourself. Depending on the medicine that you require that could be very expensive.

From my knowledge of private health insurance it is not possible to get coverage for pre-existing diseases. Maybe it is possible to make an arrangement with your present health insurance provider in Denmark to cover your costs if neccessary.

What advice is your regular hospital in Denmark giving you ? You should bring all the existing diagnostic and treatment info with you when you come.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks Aurélie :)
And thank you Ricky for the response :)

I have done some further investigating and I seem to have found a solution... In Denmark you are able to apply for an EU health insurance(which is free) there will cover the expenses in case of my disease acts up or need a control.
However, I am going to contact them to be absolutely sure first.

Been talking to the hospital, however they don't seem to be able to provide me with any useful information in this matter :S
They suggest I can have my controls when I come home from Christmas and my birthday.

Oh well I just have to keep digging in the pile ;)

Hi Marlene,

just be careful that you are not referring to the EHIC ! That will cover you as a tourist (for free if you are entitled to the card) but it will not cover you if you come to Malta to work or on an internship.

I'm not aware of any health insurance worldwide that would cover new members for pre-existing diseases free of charge!

Private treatment is not that expensive in Malta. Expensive drugs would be a problem.

Cheers
Ricky

Hmm odd it does says it cover an internship and it does cover the chronical diseases. But like I said I am gonna contact them to make sure it covers what I need covered.

Well in Denmark you get free of charge health care for chronic disease. However, you pay atleast 40% in taxes for it.
Then again most education are free, you only gotta pay for books and small fee for materiale.

I do get expensive drugs but my plan is to get a medical passport and buy all the medicin I need for that year (might be less), because I got grants for the medication here in Denmark.
And then take it with me to Malta.

Marlene

Hi Marlene,

then make sure that you don't get an ID card ( will mean paying higher rates for buses and so on)!

Bringing the medicine sounds like a good idea, just make sure that it has a long expiry date. Hope you don't need it and can take it back and put it to use before it expires.

Cheers
Ricky