Living the visa nightmare

After a year of waiting for my life partner visa, I have now been informed that home affairs have lost my application.
I am in dispair! I am thinking that it would be easier to go back to the UK to apply there but need to know it y south African partner needs to be there?
I heard a new law was passed two weeks ago stating this, I'm just finding it hard to find the proper information!
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Hi Katiet,

I'm not 100% sure about this - say 98% - but no, you do not have to be with your partner to apply for an LPP from abroad. As far as I know processing times if you do so are much quicker but you will need to show you are actually together. The one thing they seem to dwell on is a shared bank account which is bull. Administrations seem to regularly "lose" applications or documents - happened to my friend here in Canada a few weeks ago. She actually went to the local elected official and asked for help - which she got. You might want to try that approach.

Am actually trying to get myself to SA so I understand your situation. Gotta share if we're gonna make it. Now if you can tell me where to get the forms...

All the best,

M

Hi,

Sorry for such a hectic situation dealing with your visa! No you do not have to have your partner with you to apply from your country of origin. I just returned to states from South Africa and am applying here.

This link points to most any visa/ Life Partner Permit forms.
http://www.dha.gov.za/

My current understanding is that the Form BI-1738 (Form 8) is the correct one for a LPP.
I want to confirm this again, but since there is no 'LPP' box to check, you simply cross out 'Relatives' and put 'Life Partner Permit' in that space. I am submitting mine to the South African Consulate in Los Angeles and hoping it will be efficient!

Also, is having a copy of a shared Lease Agreement AND a shared bank account a necessity?
What about letters from family and friends confirming your long term monogamous relationship?
Do they care about photos of the South African resident with said foreign 'Life Partner'?

Thanks for any experience/feedback here.

Thanks ZANM,

For confirming the no need of a partner on site to apply for the LPP and site address for forms. They do make it confusing. I can't answer to the shared lease agreement - it doesn't seem to make much sense and certainly doesn't apply to other "western" style countries.

What you will probably need is a letter of intent from your partner saying he/she will be responsible for you during the first years of your stay. That goes mostly for medical and unemployment.

Any documents, letters, photos, that you have, especially pictures - you know the saying - will probably be more instrumental in getting the permit than most administrative documents. It's true in any country you want to apply to for residency.

Of course you are also dealing with Africa (in the wider sense) and if you know someone on site who can grease the wheels you'll be that much closer. I've heard of a couple of immigration providers but they are way too expensive. If you have any contacts in the Townships (buyer beware though) you can get a deal. After all, half of Zims are in the country on LPP's. On the other hand the expensive immigration offices provide plenty of documents...

I don't mean to belittle the country I've known for thirty years and love - yes, it was bad back then - but it remains a reality. Such a beautiful place to live. And do. For all.

M