Healthcare?

hi guys,

we are moving out in June and have a 1 year old. I just want to know what I need to prepare to get healthcare in Malta? I have seen someone mention a card, ehic? but to be honest I have no odea how I get one...do I even need one if I'm not a tourist?

what do I need to sort out for my little girl?

many thanks!

the normal UK/EU European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) is only valid as a tourist, but it may get you by for the initial three months - but once you have moved here and are resident here it is no longer valid as a means of getting healthcare...They can be obtained prior to leaving UK and are available from the dept of work and pensions i think. george can correct me or clarify. If you intend to work and thus paying NI and tax you will be entitled to the same level of healthcare as the maltese. You could of course always transfer your UK NI contributions to Malta too...Private healthcare is available through several insurance brokers here minimum price approx 20-25 euros per month each

Hi kirsty,

here is the official nhs website text on living abroad :

If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Room TC001
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm).

The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care.

When the cover on the S1 (or E106) expires, you cannot get any further medical cover from the UK until you receive a UK state pension. It is up to the country's authorities to decided whether you are eligible to join their healthcare scheme.

You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit other EEA countries besides the one you are a resident with.

That should cover you for the beginning until you find work and pay NI contributions in Malta or insure yourselves privately.

Be aware that private insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions.

Cheers
Ricky