Volunteering in Costa Rica

Hi everyone.  I am going to be volunteering in Costa Rica for the month of April.  I will be staying with a host family and working at La Marina wildlife sanctuary, located near Ciudad Quesada in the Alajuela province.  I have some questions for anyone who has traveled in Costa Rica.  I would like to visit some other areas of the country while I am there.  Is traveling alone by bus relatively safe?  I have heard drinking the water is not a problem, true?  Basically if anyone has any tips, suggestions of places to go I'd be glad to hear them.  Thanks!:D

Traveling by bus should be safe though watch for pick pockets at the bus stops.. the larger the city the more you have to worry about that.

Visit Arenal Volcano and plan so you can stay long enough to see it erupt at night.

I would really like to hear about your experiences volunteering in Costa Rica.  I have a simple website that lists charitable organizations, but I would like to add actual feedback.  If you would have time to share this info, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Visit my site for free and low cost volunteer opportunities in central and south america.  http://www.vaops.com

I don't understand why people volunteer in other countries especially in fields for which they have no training. I recently had contact with two people who volunteered in Costa Rica. One was a 19 year old female college student that was not studying nursing who was volunteering in a medical clinic. The other was a 35 year old male computer scientist volunteering in building housing. The woman paid something like $700 for the volunteer experience and I don't think that this included airfare. She knows very limited Spanish and spent her days doing unskilled activities. The average hourly wage in Costa Rica is $1.00 per hour for most skilled jobs such as clerk, and blue collar jobs. She could have hired a group of  Costa Rica nursing students for 50 cents to a dollar an hour to work in the clinic and when she left they would still be benefiting from the experience and she could have spent her time at the beach and everyone would have made out better. The computer scientist could have provided computer training which could be helpful such as training local people to rebuild thrown away computers from the U.S. to create jobs. Rather than working as an unskilled labor which can be had in Costa Rica for under 50 cents an hour. When both of these people returned to the United States they could have volunteered in New Orleans which has people as poor as or poorer than anywhere in Costa Rica.:|