Access to healthcare

My husband and I took early retirement last year and we plan to move to the Girona Provence ( nr Platja D'Aro)in May. We do not plan to work and it seems you can only get a social security number ( to register with healtcare)if you are working.We can get cover thro a S1 form for a limited time only and have been advised that I'll find it very difficult to obtain private cover as I have a pre-existing heart condition.We are in our 50's so will be a long time till UK state pensions kick in before we can access state healthcare in Catalunya.
Would appreciate any help/experiences from fellow early retirees!!

Yes after your limited period of UK cover expires there is no automatic right to free health care unless you are working in Spain as the system is contribution and not residence based (unlike the UK)this is a major problem for early retirees. So some pay private insurance whilst others pay as they go (and hope they don't get seriously ill) Needless to say some scam it by not taking out residence to keep UK options open. Others use their EHIC card and claim to be tourists. There was talk of cover for all but since the crisis that has gone quiet. For more see here
http://ukinspain.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for … ealthcare/

Many thanks for your reply and info.Very helpful

No problem.

BTW Only one family member need be making contributions to the Spanish system to get full health cover for the entire household.

On another point but related - you will only need 30 years UK NI  contributions for a full UK state pension - the level of which could be set to rise to a higher level. I am an early retiree but have made up my contributions and so will qualify for a full UK state pension when my time comes.

Thanks to changes in EU law this has now changed and those (EU citizens) who were resident in Spain prior to April 24th 2012 and have padron etc can now apply for cover via 'sin recursos'

I am publishing an article in my local magazine in February - more on this in the Alicante forum.