Ordinary Residency

Hi If i get Ordinary Residency and have an ID card will i be covered health wise to use the hospitals for treatment and doctors without private health care.  I am fit and well at the moment but you need to know about these things.

Hi ladyowl,

with the ID card you do not get free health care. To apply for ordinary residency you have to show that you have health care coverage.

In the UK free health care is based on residency but not in Malta. Here you have to pay national insurance contributions or show that you are entitled to free health care.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi

I am from the uk and work at the moment so i pay national insurance contributions in the uk.  How will i need to show that i am entitled to free health care in Malta.  Will I need to get a job first and pay national insurance contributions in Malta.  I have saving what if i do not work?

Check out this recent post about health insurance. I think you will find the info and answer there.
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=144592

Cheers
Ricky

if you do not work you have to get Private Health Care.

I work so I am covered via the National Insurance way and my wife is covered via me although she has started working now so is covered through her work

Julian

scubaboy wrote:

unless of one of the following applies
(1) retirement age
(2) UK passport so can use reciprocal agreement
(3) for up to 2 1/2 years can use credits built up in your home country
(4) pay national insurance on voluntary basis

georgeingozo wrote:
scubaboy wrote:

unless of one of the following applies
(1) retirement age
(2) UK passport so can use reciprocal agreement
(3) for up to 2 1/2 years can use credits built up in your home country
(4) pay national insurance on voluntary basis

And could you tell me how can you pay national insurance on voluntary basis and what is the amount? I am working so it isn't a problem for me but my fiance isn't at the moment and nobody could tell me if this is possible or not of if yes than how?!
thank you so much!

if you are married, or in a relationship over over 2 years (and can prove it) she is covered by your contributions, otherwise I believe has to pay the self employed ones, which are about double employed (as for an employed person the employer pays the same again)

just for clarity GnG - when you refer to retirement age  - is that UK retirement age or the malta retirement age.

ah - it depends - in the first instance its the UK retirement age, but once you get permanent residency in Malta I think it then becomes the Maltese retirement age

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcare … broad.aspx

If you move to an EEA country to live but not work and don't receive a UK benefit, you may be eligible for up to two-and-a-half years of state healthcare, paid for by the UK.

You will need to apply for form S1 (or form E106 if you are moving to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland) with the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle). You also need to prove that you have worked in the UK and paid National Insurance contributions up to three years before your departure.

For further advice, contact the Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle):

Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle)
Room TC001
Tyneview Park
Whitley Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1BA

Phone 0191 218 1999 (Monday to Friday 8am-5pm).

The S1 (or E106) will entitle you to treatment on the same basis as a resident of the country you are moving to. This may mean that you have to make a patient contribution toward the cost of your care.

When the cover on the S1 (or E106) expires, you cannot get any further medical cover from the UK until you receive a UK state pension. It is up to the country's authorities to decided whether you are eligible to join their healthcare scheme.

You will also be entitled to a UK-issued EHIC, allowing you to visit other EEA countries besides the one you are a resident with.

Hi,

Quick question in regards to health insurance.

I will be moving to Malta soon and work as self-employed based from home. I will for sure be paying for NI and I know that I will be entitled to free health cover. Now, I have been together with my partner for about 15 years and from what I read, if I can prove that we have been together for over 2 years, she will be covered through me.

My question is, how can I prove to the Maltese authorities that we have been living together for more than 2 years. We also have a 4 years old son together, would that be enough?

And also, if I have to pay for a private health cover for her, do you know more or less the prices of a comprehensive/standard health cover, or maybe a ruffly idea?

Thanks in advance!

Antonio

google sana healthcare via gasanmamo

What the rule about "2 years and covered insurance"? Never heard about it.

Private health plan is around EUR 200-300 per year

Hi Antonio,

the general line in Malta to get a partnership recognized as a 'durable relationship' for at least 2 years is for you have been living together in Malta for more than two years.

Proving it outside of Malta will be very difficult and having a 4 year old son together does not change much.

If you get your partner recognized as a 'family member' then she will probably qualify for health coverage through you.

Cheers
Ricky

Spiridonov wrote:

What the rule about "2 years and covered insurance"? Never heard about it.

This:

georgeingozo wrote:

if you are married, or in a relationship over over 2 years (and can prove it) she is covered by your contributions, otherwise I believe has to pay the self employed ones, which are about double employed (as for an employed person the employer pays the same again)

Spiridonov wrote:

Private health plan is around EUR 200-300 per year

Does it needs to be paid yearly or you can set monthly payments?

ricky wrote:

Hi Antonio,

the general line in Malta to get a partnership recognized as a 'durable relationship' for at least 2 years is for you have been living together in Malta for more than two years.

Proving it outside of Malta will be very difficult and having a 4 year old son together does not change much.

If you get your partner recognized as a 'family member' then she will probably qualify for health coverage through you.

Cheers
Ricky

Thanks ricky,

Will see what I will need to do to have her recognized as a "family member" when I get there.

Cheerio ;)
Antonio

Have applied for my new E-ID card. Been working and paying NI in Malta but have been told to take out a health insurance policy before my card will be issued. Why?

Are you still paying NI in Malta ?

Yes I am.

In that case, that is your health cover - so you are applying for the eResidence card as employed, and not self sufficient ?

Yes . I have applied as employed but was still told to buy health insurance.I have been paying NI since 2012.

just take your evidence of employment and paying SSC and Tax to the dept that should suffice.

Thanks but they have already had my employment contract and still say I need health insurance . I have now bought a policy against my better judgement.

This is very strange - 1000s of people have got their eResidency card without needing private health insurance, but using their SSI contributions as evidence of cover

Cat Lady4 wrote:

Thanks but they have already had my employment contract and still say I need health insurance . I have now bought a policy against my better judgement.

Like George, I think you have been seriously misinformed.

Yes ,it is so annoying to have to pay out when I have been employed and contributing .Why I have needed to, I don't know.
I did ask at the Social Security Office and they also said I needed it?

If you are employed and paying SSC and Tax then you dont need private healthcare at all. you are covered for healthcare through social security system here - the same as a maltese citizen. you have been misinformed and i think you should make a formal complaint and attempt recovery of the costs

you could fo course cancel the policy once you ve got the card.

There is either something unusual in your situation, or you have been given the wrong info

Me too!!!!!

Thanks . IF I get the card I may well do that.

What I do not understand is if they have accepted your application and it is being processed then you must have satisfied their requirements. Therefore to tell you that you need this AFTER accepting your application does not make any logical sense.
Personally, I would not wait for the card to be issued, that could take some time; I would cancel the insurance immediately.

totally agree Red

redmik wrote:

What I do not understand is if they have accepted your application and it is being processed then you must have satisfied their requirements. Therefore to tell you that you need this AFTER accepting your application does not make any logical sense.
Personally, I would not wait for the card to be issued, that could take some time; I would cancel the insurance immediately.

having thought about this some more - i seem to recall that some applicants have been rejected even after an initial acceptance of the documents.

Just checked the application form C.
Apart from Employer's details etc the only supporting documents required are:

Original and copy of passport / Foreign ID card (Bio data page only)
 Original and copy of ETC engagement form issued by ETC or work contract

So why health insurance documents.

Like toon says I have heard of people who's documents have been accepted but then they have been asked to supply others at a later date, also it  does say the following at the bottom of the application forms:-

NOTE: Original documents will be returned to the applicant; Copies will be retained by the Department.
The Department reserves the right to request any other additional document to process the application.

Thing is though that Private Health Insurance is not required if paying SSI contributions, unless someone has changed the requirement without ministerial permission because I have not seen any published information regarding that.

redmik wrote:

Thing is though that Private Health Insurance is not required if paying SSI contributions, unless someone has changed the requirement without ministerial permission because I have not seen any published information regarding that.

I agree with you, I think they are wrong in saying Private Health Insurance is required, I was just addressing the issue of them asking for more documents after the application has been accepted.