Mothers with Babies/Children in Tokyo

Hi,

I'm moving to Tokyo in a month's time and wanted to connect with other mother with young children in Tokyo. I have many questions such as:

- are there any diaper delivery services in tokyo?
- are there any toy rental services in tokyo?
- how do I find a playgroup in my neighborhood?
- where to buy organic baby food in tokyo?
- where to find children's playgrounds in tokyo?

Hope to connect with other moms in Tokyo!

Cheers!

Hi Wendy,

Our family is also moving to Japan (from Canada) come October. I have a 2.5 year old son and not quite sure where we should reside as yet.  THe office will be in Chiba but I heard there are not many preschools and activities for kids out there.

Anyways, I am also looking to connect with some moms. Any more tips out there?

Hi Nis,

I just got back from an apartment hunting trip to Tokyo and would be happy to share my feel for the different neighborhoods, but for Tokyo only. I'm not sure where Chiba is...is it close enough to commute to Tokyo?

Still looking for good baby services though...

Cheers!

Hi Girls,

I have been living in tokyo for 3 weeks now and my wife and I are expecting our first son end of november.
I think there is few point that I can answer :

are there any diaper delivery services in tokyo?
Like everywhere you can order online - no problem... but I haven't find any english service yet.. but still you can order from overseas (+cost...)
- are there any toy rental services in tokyo?
I can't understand the question... but we find prams and bed rentals..no problems
- how do I find a playgroup in my neighborhood?
Depends where you will be settled - Tokyo is very large. I am living in Shiroganedai - Azabu-juban like a lot of foreigners.. There is plenty of playgrounds in Tokyo
- where to buy organic baby food in tokyo?
We are originaly from london and after some time we have been able to find organic food. Be carefull coz in some shops the bill can be very salted... Price are very different but so far the best I found was this one : http://www.crayonhouse.co.jp/home/index.html
- where to find children's playgrounds in tokyo?
As from what I saw during the last 3 weeks there is almost 1 for each blocks - check google map .. will amend the post if I find website.
Also there is few big parks like yoyogi parks where you can play with kids on the grass.
Good luck in Tokyo

Hi,

we are from Germany and are also considering moving to Tokyo beginning of next year with our 2 little kids (2 years and 3 months!). Is there anyone who could give us some more information about
- where best to live with kids
- food and healthcare
- childcare
- any useful contacts/tipps

Thanks a lot for your help.

Shilly
-

Fuer Shilly:

Deutsche Community
http://www.embjapan.de/forum/index.php? … e796e32dde

KinderGarten
http://www.dsty.ac.jp/ja/taxonomy/term/7/0

Hi!
I am a French student of 20 years old willing to find a job as an au pair in Tokyo for next year!!
I love children, I currently babysit and I have already been an au pair in Dublin for 2 months.
I speak fluent English and a little Japanese.
If any one is interrested or can help me to find a family do please tell me! Thank you

Hi - how's life in Tokyo for moms with young kids. I dont speak Japanese at all other than the basic words like Hello, Cute, Delicious..Although I've heard how child-friendly most of the washroom cubicles in Japan are e.g a strapped chair for babies while mum/dad sit on the potty.. Any pros/cons to share with me who is contemplating on moving there with my family for job posting reasons.

Cheers

Hi there,
I'm moving to Tokyo in April with my husband and (now) 6 week old baby - Does anyone have info on mother/baby groups or how to meet other mums? We will most likely be living in central Tokyo and I won't be working for the first 6 months..
Thanks! J

Firstly, having lived in Tokyo for 6 months it is a great place to bring up children. Our experiences so far have been fantastic! There is a reality check though that getting some babies things is always going to be more tricky than at 'home' and more costly. I can tell you that akachan honpo (in the TOC building), costco and toys r us are all a god send for gifts, toys, cloths and baby supplies. Everything here is very word of mouth which is at times so and frustrating but people are really helpful and you can get almost everything you need.

There are many condos that have a children's nursery with Japanese and English speaking staff, or sometimes with private English classes (I have two preschool classes in the Kachidoki area, near Tsukiji market).

The main areas that most foreign nationals live in are Hiroo, Azabu Juban, Akasaka, Roppongi, Shirokane Takanawa, Kichijoji, Shimo Kitazawa, and Jyugaoka -and they have different children's programs very close to stations and apartment areas. 

There are also two Gymboree locations in Tokyo: Click here for their main site with maps

Here is a list of great sites for mothers and new families in Japan:

tokyomothersgroup.com

being-a-broad.org/?p=1096

I hope it helps!

Where is the best area to live with children in Tokyo?
Is there any Norwegian kindergarden in Tokyo? Or is it only English/Japanese?