How easy is it to find casual/ temporary work if you are from the uk?

Hi,

I have read a few blogs but i am trying to find;
a) how realisitc it is to find casual/temporary work in abu dhabi or dubai. e.g. seasonal work,bar jobs, construction work if i am from the uk?

b) Would they help you with a visa or do you have to be a resident before hand to get this type of work?

I have a job offer for a few years but it does not start till april 2012 so i am looking to temp before can so i can get myself settled and see if I like it out there before work starts.

Can anyone help with this?

I am contacting recruitment agencies and trying to network to see if there is this kind of work out there.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

You may also put an ad in the Dubai classifieds > job section.

I wish you good luck in your search.

All the best,
Christine
Expat.com team

a) You'll be competing with thousands of subcontinentals and far east asians who will do a day's work for a handful of rice...

b) You can't become a resident unless you have an employer (or a spouse) to sponsor you. Many expats here are working here while on visit/tourist visas, which is illegal of course....

Hi guys,

Thanks for your helpful replies. I can get a visa to work out there but i'm not overly motivateed to work for a handful of rice! Do most casual jobs offer accommodation as well because this seems to be the next issue?

thanks

Si

Simon_Limpus wrote:

Do most casual jobs offer accommodation as well because this seems to be the next issue?

Sure....you'll get a nice bunk bed in a room in ICAD or some other labour camp which you'll share with 6 or 7 others