Successful job interview in Argentina

Hi,

passing a job interview in Argentina can be a stressful moment, especially you are not familiar with the cultural and professional codes of the country.

How to successfully pass a job interview in Argentina ?

What happens during the interview ?

What are the do's and don'ts during a job interview in Argentina : what to say or not, what to wear, how to behave ?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience with us !

Julie

I can only speak from a NZ/UK perspective in respect of police clearance documents.
I have had two interviews and gained two jobs, so so far 100% rate.
Firstly, my story is that historically I suck at job interviews in the UK. For what ever the reason I am more laid back and the age old saying to just be yourself comes so much easier to me being away from the UK interview game. 
Legalized documents for Argentina are an absolute must if you are in for a serious job and praying for sponsorship and to gain a CUIL number via the prospective employer, in general, birth certificate, qualifications, driving licence if applicable, degree certificate, relevant certifications, ACRO police document (has superseded the old SA1 Subject Access check), references from previous employers and anything else you deem necessary ...
The ACRO form from the UK askes what other countries you have been in and if you are a traveling sort this can be a real pain. NZ police however for me was a case of fax the form, receive the clearance te next day, free of charge ....the best service I have had for a long time. UK ACRO, takes for ever

Anyways, I digress, back to the thread topic

Both successful occasions I have told the absolute truth about everything, displayed confidence, warmth, smiled throughout, dressed smart casual (shirt, jumper, trousers, shoes) and most importantly WANTED the job.

Both interviews were double interviews, like NZ I get the feeling that in Argentina the first interview is a personal one, do you fit in to the company, are you a bore, are you a risk etc...

They have liked intelligence and loved it if you have a broad world knowledge and are up with current affairs.

One question you will ALWAYS be asked is, why Argentina and how long are you planning to be around.

The answer to this is simple, tell the positives and the truth about this amazing country, I spent a good majority of one interview talking about things I did not like (not to get into it but was regarding the elections) Still got the job, honesty IS the best policy. And above all, you are here for a long time, not just a good time. Ask the question who will seriously give a hell about you if you hum and har to the question "how long are you planning to be here?" Or your answer is that you do not know. I would not employ you.

So to sum it up in my humble opinion
Dress smart
Have your documents in order
Tight CV
Research the company
Smile
Relax
Love Argentina
Be here for a long time

regards,

C

Hi craggles!

Thanks for your contribution ;)

Armand

To Craggles,

You seem to be the kind of person I would like to have in front of me for a recruitment interview. I have been interviewing hundreds of people who would have written the same things but I have also rejected most of them. In your beautiful demo, you always stay at the superficial level and obvious questions. Recruiting somebody is ALWAYS a risk but also an investment. As a HR manager, what I am looking for are the deap strengths and weaknesses of the people and not their smile and kindness. For sure it counts, but it's far away of being the only criteria used for candidates' selection. By the way, I am in Argentina......

An other tip for you : if on your resume, your photo is as good as the one you put on the forum, you have a problem Sir......

el escondido wrote:

To Craggles,

You seem to be the kind of person I would like to have in front of me for a recruitment interview. I have been interviewing hundreds of people who would have written the same things but I have also rejected most of them. In your beautiful demo, you always stay at the superficial level and obvious questions. Recruiting somebody is ALWAYS a risk but also an investment. As a HR manager, what I am looking for are the deap strengths and weaknesses of the people and not their smile and kindness. For sure it counts, but it's far away of being the only criteria used for candidates' selection. By the way, I am in Argentina......

An other tip for you : if on your resume, your photo is as good as the one you put on the forum, you have a problem Sir......

Fantastic, positive feedback, many thanks, the stuff of champions, you certainly make sure new people feel at home here.

My mistake about the picture, sorry about that, I forgot this was facebook, will I get banned for a picture I am proud of, I hope not?

My points were aimed primarily at a backpacker audience and were general, non specific. Also aimed at an interview for a position in any field.

I will take all your advice on board, especially being a HR Manager and all, after all, in my next interview I want to be properly prepared and not just jump in the DEAP end.

PS
What is your company called? Because, you seem to the the type of person I would not want a percentage of my wage to go to.
It does not matter to me if you were in Timbuktu.
I suggest applying for a position as recruitment consultant on Argentinas Next Top Model, there you will be in recruitment heaven, flicking your bean to superficiality.

Thank you for the Sir comment, it was friendly, cheeky and some what flirty

kindest regards,

C

The company I work for is one of the top S&P 500 and despite of the crisis, part of the best resisting ones.

Anyway, I will surely not build on what you say while I was expecting this kind of over developed ego behavior.

Have a nice carrier and good luck to the one who will maybe report to you one day.

el escondido wrote:

The company I work for is one of the top S&P 500 and despite of the crisis, part of the best resisting ones.

Anyway, I will surely not build on what you say while I was expecting this kind of over developed ego behavior.

Have a nice carrier and good luck to the one who will maybe report to you one day.

I have not found any good Indian food yet in Argentina, nor am I a cannibal.

Took a good look at the S&P 500 today, I normally stick to the FTSE or the NASDAQ, but it pleased my portfolio today, so thanks for the inspiration.

Hmmm I wonder, the company name, go on, give me a clue, where is the head office? A 500-1 shot is not a fair price.

I have you down as a chocoholic cat lover that prefers a "good book" to a good party , you have dabbled with poetry before but never versed it in public, always wanted to play the guitar well but never kept up at it, you love getting flowers but do not very often which frustrates you ...... you are not completely happy with your life, (of course this is all based on 3 conversations with someone on a text forum but hey, if you can have a go at summing me up as a person totally incorrectly, I may as well have a shot!)

Hasta luego che x