Hello! Looking for information about IT jobs

Hi,

I am a french engineer and I have been working in Web Development for more than 3 years for an international company and I am planning to move to Singapore.

Is there someone working in IT who could give me details about what companies are hiring there? What is the salary I could expect?

Thanks!

Unless you have specific and rare skills, you'd be competing with lots of Indian web developers, who might have more experience and are willing to work for lower wages. Don't expect to get much more than S$2000/month - and that is not enough to rent your own private place!

I see... :( Thanks for the information.

Do you think that the top French engineer schools are recognized and could be a way of getting a better position?

For all companies, you'll have to bring something valuable that others don't to justify hiring you (especially if you want more money than them). In addition, the company has to prove that they cannot find a local for the job, otherwise you won't get a visa.
French language and experience might do the trick, but probably only at French companies. Ask at the French Chamber of Commerce!

Oh, I forgot to mention:
You have to be in Singapore and give a local phone number when applying for jobs here, otherwise you'll never get a reply (companies here don't want to pay for travel to interviews).
You should be prepared (and have the money) to stay here several months and return empty-handed if your search is not successful.
Otherwise, work at home in a company with connections to Singapore and, with some luck and hard work, you might get a transfer after a few years. That's the path most Expats went.

Haha ok. This looks much more difficult than I excepted :/
Actually my girlfriend is also looking for a job there from Manila.
It might be easier for her to find first, then I will directly try to find something there.

Thank you Beppi ;)

The same I said above is true for Philippinas.
Most of them work as domestic helpers for below S$600/month and have to pay the first six months salary as fee to the agent who got them the job (despite it being illegal for employment agents to charge jobseekers in Singapore!).

Actually she has a good position as a market manager in a big pharma company, I don't think she would transfer to a domestic helper :)

Do you think it is possible to go there with a 3 months visit visa and find a job?

Getting an EP (work visa) takes up to a month, and many (especially big) companies take a month or more to decide on a candidate. If you add time for the application process and possibly contract negotiations, three months is probably the absolute minimum possible - IF you are lucky!

But if you meant legally possible: Yes!

You might want to get an EPEC (Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate) before coming. This means your background is checked and will not be reason for an EP application to be rejected (other factors, e.g. the employer, can still lead to rejection), thus it decreases the employer's risk and increases your chance to get a job offer. You can also get a (6 month, I think) visit pass (LTVP) with your EPEC.

watzup

Thank you Beppi for your advices!

Hi Turtle Beach,

maybe this link might help...here's a list of IT positions available in Singapore

sg.dimension.jobsdb.com/career/Default.asp?GID=121&Action=Submit&PID=1&AC=ContactSG&EC=CONSG&GC=G1&LID=1&SP=1&SGB249729555845261

Thank you

im also an IT here in SG and im filipino, in my experience i just visit here as a tourist, within 1month staying i gotta job as web designer,

so u should try to visit here as a tourist with your gf as well.

in my advice

The authorities stopped issuing EPEC with effect from today (Dec. 11, 2011).
Existing EPEC holders can only get a one-time non-renewable 3 months LTVP for their job search.