Opening a bank account in Norway

Hi all,

is it difficult for expats to open a bank account in Norway ?

Which documents are required to open a bank account in Norway ?

How long does it take to open it ?

Is there any restriction for expats regarding the services (loans for instance)  ?

Which bank would you recommend ?

Thanks in advance for your participation,

From my personal experience I can tell that as long as you have a valid permit to live in Norway (work/residences/any other) opening a bank account is pretty easy. All you need is a letter from Skatt/NAV in which your Social ID number & name is published (IS A MUST) and then your Passport. In some of the private banks the account is opened in 15-20 minutes flat and is also operational the very same moment. Off course the debit card & internet banking credentials take couple of weeks to be facilitated.

Recommendations - If you have a need to withdraw money at ATM's frequently I would certainly recommend DnBNOR or Nordea. If not, then you have many options to choose (Fokus, Cultura (Social banking), Sparebank, etc). But I know from experience DnB has a wonderful Net Banking portal and above all every little stuff is published both in Norsk & English.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for these tips vingori!:top:

I lived for 6 months in Tromsø in 2011, now I came back to Italy, but I will be back in Norway next year.
In the meantime I want to open a bank account (I didn't need it during my first stay), before I move back to Tromsø. Does anyone know if foreigners non-residents in Norway can do it? (I would assume not, but you never know...).
Tusen takk!

Hi  need help!  Got my D Number sll good ! Now witch bank is easier?  No more teller all by internet Outch!
Please Help need it soon!!!!!!🇨🇦👧🏽

Questions and answers about the banking system

Ask your question
Getting Bank ID in Norway
By umairbz
Getting Credit Cards in Norway
By umairbz
Moving financials from US to Norway
By clupe212
Bible school, bank account restrictions?
By h56h65
U k state pension / norwegian pension
By Mykle
Online Money transfers from Norway to India
By prash7280

Expatriate health insurance in Norway

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Norway

Moving to Norway

Find tips from professionals about moving to Norway

Travel insurance in Norway

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Norway

Flights to Norway