Getting Bank ID in Norway

I have just been informed by my favorite bank (pun intended) that I need to have a "permanent" residency to apply and get a BankID which will take another 2 and half years if I actually stick around for another 2 and a half years.

Anyone has any other experience in getting BankID?

I need BankID to get a few things including getting myself registered for DigiPost.

I love the fact that they can tax my income at 39% but not give me a BankID. :P I know they are two different things but still...

Any feedback on BankID would be appreciated.

i have a temporary residence permit (not PERMANENT residence permit) valid for 1 year... that allowed me to get a personal number (fødselsnummer), and eventually led to acquiring a bank account and a bank ID.. we applied for it around 4 months after i moved to Norway...

they didnt require a permanent residence permit for me to open up a bank account... i remember it was either a D-number or a personal number that they need... and as far as i can remember, if you have a bank account you can order a bank id thru them...

what i didnt get was a bank card (atm/debit card) because i get no income yet... which is fine by me, coz i only needed the bank ID for online services (altin, nav, minfastlege, etc)...

may i ask what kind of permit you have that allows you to reside in Norway?

I dont know. I just know that I have a permanent employment contract with a Norwegian technology firm. I have my Fødselsnummer, ATM card, credit card all set up but the BankID is taking forever to settle. Maybe I need to shift from DNB and move to a more flexible bank. I see that the concept of customer service has not reach Norway as yet. ;)

hmn.... i guess different banks have different policies... i remember that all i needed was a fødselsnummer (tho they asked for the actual paper i got from the national registry) and my passport... my bank did say that D-number is ok to open an account, tho i am not sure if this will also allow me to get a bank ID....

as i checked DnB website, they offer bank IDs for "resident customers"... are you here to work for less than 6 months? coz u can be allowed to work in norway for less than 6 months, even without a "resident status"... is this the case for you?

i just saw your other post here: Getting Credit Cards in Norway and you mentioned you have a D-number...

a D-number is issued to foreigners that are here in Norway for less than 6 months... this is actually different from fødselsnummer, which is only given for people who are issued with a residence permit (which is normally valid for longer than 6 months) or for EU/EEA citizens registering as residents of Norway... if what you only have is a D-number, i guess this is why you arent given a bankID... the bankID is a security feature that allows you to login to different facilities online, and the "username" is actually your fødselsnummer (this is ur birthday + 5 digit identifier in the format ddmmyyxxxxx)...

if your purpose is just to login to these online facilities and if you have a fødselsnummer or D-number, try see the option for MinID if you can't acquire a BankID from any other banks... this is the same as a BankID except that this is a bit less secured compared to a bankID (source: Electronic IDs in Norway)... and you wont get a one-time pin device, instead you order pin numbers and they send it to your registered address, or you can get one-time pins on your mobile phone.... MinID is a more accessible personal identity service, compared to BankIDs since its usually the banks who made rules/requirements for a bankID...

hope this helps :)

My bank  (DNB) also told me that I also need permanent residence to apply for BankID. Wonder if your bank Pheebz is DNB too?

Pheebz, I dont have a D number but I have an 11 digit fødselsnummer and yes I also have MinID. The MinID works for most items like tax return submission but for helfo you need a BankID to register and same is the case for Digipost.

Thanks for the help anyways. :) I am wondering if there are any other banks that offer BankID or is this more of a local law or regulation that does not give BankID to people who do not have permanent residency.

ooohh.... i think the rules for a BankID is really the bank's prerogative, whereas MinID is more of the government's.... i'm sorry to hear... :( but yea, try other banks :P and no, my bank isnt DnB, its Handelsbanken... i personally dont know anything much about that bank, like how good their rates are, rules for loans, etc... and their online banking site is only in Norsk...  :lol: and yea, they didnt give me a bank card but all i wanted anyways was a BankID so i was ok with it.. and i dunno if being in a rural part of Norway makes bank rules less strict, coz i dont have a permanent residence permit and i have only been a resident of Norway for 4 months when they gave me my bankID...

i remember when i only had MinID and i wanted to change to a doctor i prefer, i went to which then redirected me to site to do it, and their site requires a higher security level such as BankID so i couldnt get in... but then i found out that switching GPs is actually done thru which is under the NAV site (helsenorge just redirects to this site) where MinID is enough... i know helsenorge offers a lot of other services than this, just sharing coz i didnt know this back when i actually needed it, :lol:

but going back to the topic, try check other banks... maybe granting BankID rules can differ from bank to bank, coz like for my case, i got my BankID same day i opened my bank account... i think DnB is one of the leading banks in Norway, so try some smaller banks.. they will probably be more than happy to assist u in opening a bank account in them and give you a bankID... :)

Thanks a lot for all the help! Much much appreciated.

I just checked the site that you mentioned and yes I do not need a BankID to change my doctor and that is exactly what I wanted to do so thank you for helping me out. :)

glad i can help :)

Just to update anyone following up on this thread. I just had a discussion with Nordea. They will be most willing to help with BandID if I move my bank account to them. Bye Bye DNB!  :D

umairbz :

Just to update anyone following up on this thread. I just had a discussion with Nordea. They will be most willing to help with BandID if I move my bank account to them. Bye Bye DNB!  :D

:lol: at that last remark.... but thats good to know... so other banks really dont need permanent residence just to give BankIDs.... DnB should change their reqs/rules for the sake of consistency among banks, but i guess its their right who to give and refuse a bankID... i find it ironic that they do have an english website, which highly appeals to foreigners, and yet they dont give bankIDs without permanent residence... but then again, like i said, i guess its their right...

If you have a temp number, you can get a bank account.  It will help to smooth thing if you show them a copy of your job contract or tenancy agreement.

Questions and answers about the banking system

Ask your question
Opening a bank account in Norway
By Julien
Getting Credit Cards in Norway
By umairbz
Moving financials from US to Norway
By clupe212
Bible school, bank account restrictions?
By h56h65
U k state pension / norwegian pension
By Mykle
Online Money transfers from Norway to India
By prash7280

Expatriate health insurance in Norway

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Norway

Moving to Norway

Find tips from professionals about moving to Norway

Travel insurance in Norway

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Norway

Flights to Norway