Bayahibe new condo project

Hi everyone, new here. How do we check the validity of an advertised condo project? Is there city hall we can contact or a land registry we can search?

we are from Canada interested in purchasing a condo in a project that hasn't broken ground yet. Want to make sure we aren't being scammed.

thank you in advance!

Hi I own a conda in Bayahibe, do you have the project name? Constructor?

Its seems like you are new here to this site.   I am Canadian myself.  Can I give  you a word of caution.  Nothing is the same here in DR.  In a way, thats good.  Otherways its bad.

Many projects are started and never completed, even by large developers who have a reputation.  Some start building and then they are stopped because they dont even have permits or they run out of money. Legal paperwork likely protect builders more than buyers.  Even if you wanted to take them to court if your project is delayed or shut down or on hold, that is a nightmare, takes forever, and costs alot of MORE money too.  The courts are not in your favour.

Also remember, while there are some legit brokers and professional people, they dont require a license.

Therefore, to avoid any large loss of your money, just buy something already built or build your own home.  This advice comes for many who are here, and they say, rent something nice in the area you like, and see if you like it there.

Therefore, to avoid any large loss of your money, just buy something already built or build your own home.  This advice comes for many who are here, and they say, rent something nice in the area you like, and see if you like it there.

-@Karin1

This is good advice. I would never buy into a construction project here. As I have told others personally, as foreigners or expats, or whatever you want to call us, we have very few rights here and very little leverage.  If you read enough of this forum regarding this subject you should consider yourself warned.

Agree. No realtor license is required to sell property, and most of the projects are not financed well and rely totally on payments from buyers to keep the project going, with no real protections for buyers. There is no such thing as transparency as unlike in many other countries the builder, developer, and agent can all be the same person, attorneys are also connected to these projects representing both the builder and buyers.

@Carpediem0615 - walk away and look into something that is built in a near completed project with a title available.  Too many people buy the dream and wake up to a nightmare...

@Carpediem0615 make sure your contract includes payments due as milestones and include a statement that the builder must submit pics or videos of progress to get a payment. for example:

x% as a deposit

x% percentage when foundation is complete

x% percentage when first floor is completed

x% percentage when second floor is completed

x% percentage when roof is completed

x% percentage when framing is completed

x% percentage at closing

@Harris Levinson thank you that is the breakdown they are requesting  thank you

@youngpong thank you for replying the project is called Blend And the contractor is from argentina,  carribean berlin development group  please let me know  thank you!

@DominicanadaMike thank you, how do we check titles?

@Carpediem0615  If it's a new project, they may not have individual titles yet.  If you are set on buying new, get your own lawyer (not theirs) to review the promise of sale, the final contract, the payment structure, delivery date with a penalty clause for non-delivery or delayed delivery and have either your real estate agent or hire a third party to inspect the progress prior to paying the next installment.  The inspector should provide you with a written statement of progress along with photos and recommendations.  Funnel your payments through your lawyer or real estate agent.

@DominicanadaMike thank you  yes I was planning on doing that  will go through the contract with my lawyer  do you live in Dr?  this project is called Blend its in Bayahibe  thank you for your reply 

@DominicanadaMike

Additionally, ensure you review total building plans that include electrical layout, ie: 110 and 220 drop points in the house, plumbing, etc. They ALL are known to take the cheapest way for supplies and electrical lines.

Good idea, its a 200 condo complex but i will enquire  thank you

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 That's correct Chris.  However, in this country you can look at all the plans available and end up with something completely different.  If you want or expect something specific, put it in writing and let your "inspector" know to keep an eye on this.  This is a country that does not have the words: standard, preventative, planning, by the book and similar in their vocabulary.  Do not take anything for granted.  Another reason to buy already built and not because you will get what you want but because you will get what you see...lol

@Carpediem0615 Yes, I have lived in DR for 10 years now.  I manage and maintain several properties and have been involved with several legal disputes related to real estate development.  I am the President of an Owner's Association in a large apartment complex.  I am retired so I am not looking for more work but try to consult and assist when I can.  I am in the Punta Cana area and I am not familiar with this project "Blend".

@DominicanadaMike...agree totally, as a residence of 20 years. My point is recommended check again and again what you expect!

If you are unable yo supervise any construction, installation, etc..hire a "trusted" project manager for your major contruction events..or any other checks and balances personally you may want and require on your situation.