ICF Home Construction …

Are any builders building ICF home construction in the Dominican Republic ?

ICF stands for Insulated Concrete Forms.

Thanks

There is some construction with M2 panels here, but I've never seen ICF.

There are some using this in Santo Domingo.  I indicated on another thread I will try to find the company doing it.

This is the M2 thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=773011

Comparing the two methods in their basic form:

ICF uses a foam mold in which a concrete core is poured. Rebar can be added to the core.

M2 uses a foam core sandwiched between wire mesh rebar. concrete stucco is sprayed on the outside and inside wall.

So they have a kind of opposite order of using insulation and concrete. That does affect the final finish.

My view on both methods: If you want a stucco finish inside/outside the M2 system is faster and more simple. After spraying concrete stucco it can be finished quickly. ICF after concrete pour will need wire mesh/stucco, or wood cladding or a wall added on the outside and a drywall inside to finish off the foam. The solid ICF concrete core 'might' be stronger than the thinner outside concrete of the M2 system. I get the impression ICF is more suitable for colder climate building and may be overkill for the DR. But this is just my interpretation... I have been in a full M2 built house (top to bottom, 2 story) in the DR and I was pretty impressed.

Thanks guys.  As i understand it, ICF brings superior insulation which would benefit in both the cold and extreme heat of the summers in the DR, Hurricane  proof for sure, but also the added bonus of being sound proof in the event of noisy neighbours, loud cars and motorcycles.

@Ian1272 A couple of things to keep

in mind when considering something other than what is regularly used here: Cost and  availability of materials (locally), and availability of knowledge and know-how for proper use. Knowledgeable workers will be needed for initial construction as well as any maintenance/imprpvements made over time.

Also, “soundproofing” only goes so far! You will likely have a lot of doors and windows in your home, to take advantage of the view and the breeze. These will most likely be open during the day, unless you plan to air condition your entire home.

Agreed with ddmcghee.

About soundproofing indeed doors and windows will be the limiting factor, even if they are closed you would need double glass to match the benefit of the extra insulation.

Also keep in mind temperature differences are likely bigger in colder climates. If you compare a 20C living space temperature to the DR's maximum of 30-35C and a colder climate with -10C minimum it is already a factor 2 difference. That's why I mentioned ICF might be overkill in the DR.

And I'll also agree with the windows.  You'll need to spend big $$$ on double or triple glazed PVC windows, with thicker glass, from a vendor who actually knows what they're doing.  When we priced out windows for our new build, single glazed PVC was double the price of aluminum single glazed.  We are in a very quiet area, so noise was not a part of the considerations, but price certainly was.  And we also had a M2 house built and lived in for several years.  No difference in sound from a block home, but I believe it was cooler inside.  Cracks and settling maybe were a bit better than a block construction, but that's only my impression.  But do not go with a flat roof.  Anything but a flat roof!  That, we had never ending problems with.

Great input.  Thanks :)

But do not go with a flat roof.  Anything but a flat roof! 

-@UncleBuck

We have a flat roof and it does have its pain points. You have to continuously seal it with an elastomeric paint. Actually any horizontal concrete surface on the structure will need to be treated to keep the water out. We wanted a flat roof for rain water collection, but I think you can accomplish that with an angled roof.

How frequently are you having to treat the flat roof and horizontal surfaces?

I would say about every 18 months.