Sending new Samsung Phone from US

I'm about to pull the trigger and order the newest Samsung S24 Ultra cell phone for release Jan 31st. I can basically get it for $400 usd with my carrier (T-Mobile) and then toss a sim into my old phone and get a Philippines number.

Then a thought came to mind. With it being sent to my US address and sister in law sending it fed-ex to me, will it get nailed for a high value VAT of some sort? How should it be "declared"?

Also, any thoughts about dropping a Philippines sim into my current US based Samsung? Would it create any issues?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

They will collect vat how much no one knows.  I sent a old phone to my niece I declare 50usd they charged us 170p.  My son sent me my VA meds and it was 160+-pesos.  I ordered some car parts FedEx handled the shipping declared 105usd. Paid +-400p.  Philpost/USPS for the other ones.   Years ago I sent a computer worth 400us they charged 3000p. 

Doesn't seem to be a accurate way to guess. 

Make sure it's unlocked

TMobile can put a esim in it.  I did that with a pixel 7a and put a local sim so I have one phone two lines.  But it has to be unlocked

Make sure it's unlocked

-@Fred

why?

My new one would not be unlocked. My old one, (where I'll drop the phils sim) is the one that would be unlocked.

TMobile can put a esim in it.  I did that with a pixel 7a and put a local sim so I have one phone two lines.  But it has to be unlocked

-@smithta63

Ohh, that's interesting. Can I Esim my old phone and put the Phils local sim into it? My old one is unlocked by tmobile. The new phone would include a 24 month contract and locked. But basically I get it for $400 usd so I'm totally good with that.

@Larry Fisher google to see if it's dual sim card and if one is esim.  Not sure if TMobile will set us esim while you are overseas. 

Smart has esim.  My son is visiting and has a physical TMobile sim and went online and got a esim from smart. 

@smithta63

Thanks for responding here! Gave me something to look at! The new phone, my old phone, both on T-Mobile networks support dual sim via one physical (Tmobile) and Esim. That makes that part work out much easier!

Makes me wonder how to pack/ship/declare.

1. It will be shipped directly to sister-in-law by T-Mobile.
  2. She won't need to open it even.
  3. Fed-ex and declare as ??????  ....Warranty replacement? just a thought.

Larry,

I don't know about phones but I know the first P10,000 is tax exempt. Have your sister-in-law send it FedEx and when she fills out the forms state the true cost.

When FedEx delivers the phone they will collect any applicable fees that are due.

If you don't mind being stuck on smart(globe says esi mis coming soon to both prepay and postpay) and your satisfied with your old phone save the money and hassle and get a esim from smart.   

Larry,
I don't know about phones but I know the first P10,000 is tax exempt. Have your sister-in-law send it FedEx and when she fills out the forms state the true cost.

When FedEx delivers the phone they will collect any applicable fees that are due.

-@Enzyte Bob

So I just called T-Mobile back again. Philippine call center of course. I didn't get the same representative as a few days ago when this conversation was starting. Originally I was told that if I upgraded my plan to a newer plan, on a 24 mo contract, AND adding a line, I would basically get a $1300 phone for $400 up front and a $10 per month increase in my monthly plan. I would have three lines, but I don't have to actually install the sim (or I could) in any of the phones. I just have to "have a new line". NOW, the new rep is trying to say the new plan, and phone, would cost me $90 more per month with the new line and new phone. HA! NO WAY! So I explained how far off she was on what I was told and now I'll wait for that original rep to call me back tomorrow (yea good luck with that).

I ain't paying T-mobile $1000 per year MORE for a new phone. I'll just pay cash and buy one here in the Phils or direct from Samsung on a US setting and put my SIM in the new phone before doing what the new rep said. lol

As you have experienced, using call centers is a VERY hit or miss operation. Much better to buy from an authorized Samsung dealer here. You'll pay more than $400, of course, but will probably be unlocked (as long as you don't buy from a carrier here, I'm pretty sure...).

If you feel like you NEED a new phone, I suggest getting last year's model. It will have many of the features, but be substantially cheaper without a contract.

Consider a model with the capability to handle 2 numbers.

Wireless service here can be sketchy on one carrier and fine on another. Survey the area where you will be. Most likely the locals will have already figured out which one is best. This is especially true in the Province.

@Enzyte Bob

And if he tells a porky I guess Danno would 'Book him'  1f923.svg

I never had a problem putting a Globe or Smart SIM in our iPhones but my phones are never locked because I pay for the phones when I order them. If you want to bring a newer model iPhone from the US they are eSIM only. I don't know if Smart or Glode does eSIMs at this time?

My wife ordered her latest iPhone from Singapore so it has a SIM tray. My sister in law bought the same phone in the US and it is eSIM only. I like the eSIM thing. When my plane landed in the US I was able to get a US number right away using the eSIM process.

Ever hear of Jailbreak? Back in the states had phones unlocked for $20.

@Moon Dog

Smart and Globe both have Esim.

I don't do Iphone. I'm a Samsung guy.

I can and have paid cash for my phones before. But I am keeping my US carrier and US phone number I've had for 15 years. With T-Mobile I also get free MLBTV subscription and I can watch all the MLB games I want at no further charge. As well as free AppleTV. So if I can get the new Samsung S24 Ultra which has some massive upgrades in abilities from even my S22, and not pay nearly the $1500usd selling price by buying it from the carrier with a "add a line" and $15 monthly service upgrade for 24 months I'll do it. If the savings isn't there, I'll buy the phone outright and keep my existing service.

Ever hear of Jailbreak? Back in the states had phones unlocked for $20.

-@Enzyte Bob

I may be wrong but I think jailbreak was a term only used for  iPhones. Further, the jailbreak was overwritten if you allowed Apple to update the OS firmware OTA. Then you would have to jailbreak again if you could operate the phone. To unlock other phones you usually just entered the unlock code given by the provider, which they would do after you reliably paid your bills for 6 months or so. Not so with greedy Apple. Here in the Phils I believe many cellphone shops can jailbreak but make sure not to let them update or you may have a brick in your hands.

I was in the Philippines in 2018. They could not unlock my Sprint phone. Things are different from other carriers.  They mentioned it might wind up unusable.

Here in the UK it works out cheaper in the long run buying your phone outright and then choosing the service provider of your choice. That way your phone has not been 'captured' by the phone company. Many punters are seduced by the complete package with phone upgrades along the way for 'free'

@Lotus Eater

After a few more calls it seems the 1st call center rep was giving me programs that were not available. The best I could do was about $65 usd per month more than my current plan. With no service benefit that I don't have already. And the phone would be locked still.

If I were in Manila Samsung would give me roughly $1000 trade-in value on my current phone (unlocked already). But the window for delivery of the new phone is a 10 day window (depending on supplies) and the courier would wait for me to "smart switch" all my passworded programs and delete from trade-in phone. But I obviously am not going to camp out in Manila.  In Cebu,  even with corporate stores they don't offer anything.

So I either pay cash roughly $1400 usd or pass entirely.  Oh well.

@Larry Fisher

When shipping internationally, declare the Samsung S24 Ultra as a personal electronic device with a lower value to reduce VAT charges. Using a Philippines SIM in your US-based Samsung should work, but ensure compatibility with network bands. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 3 months ago
Reason : Irrelevant promotional link - SEO = ban
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I always buy my phone outright... locked phones are a huge hassle, been there did that.

I am a Samsung guy, buy A model phone for less than a third of the S model with 95% of the capabilities. 

Buy international model to maximise compatibility with different areas.  My Canadian phone would not work in Hong Kong or Thailand but was great in the Philippines.   Learned from the Hong Kong agent that international models give you universality.

Good luck.

Donald

I always buy my phone outright... locked phones are a huge hassle, been there did that.
I am a Samsung guy, buy A model phone for less than a third of the S model with 95% of the capabilities. 

Buy international model to maximise compatibility with different areas.  My Canadian phone would not work in Hong Kong or Thailand but was great in the Philippines.   Learned from the Hong Kong agent that international models give you universality.

Good luck.

Donald

-@AlbertaDonuts

Heya Don, I am going to buy outright. I was hoping to get to trade my S22 Ultra in for a big discount. But to do so with my US carrier they want a 24 mo contract. F-that. Then I saw Samsung.Ph is offering trade-in value. Basically it ends up being half price. IF I LIVE IN MANILA! Yea, to facilitate the trade, they have courier delivery to you, and he waits for you to complete your software swaps and sim and whatever, even if it's a couple hours. They do not have trade-in in Cebu. 1f62a.svg

So, I think I'm going to buy the S24 Ultra and give Delia my S22 Ultra.

@Larry Fisher

I like to have a backup phone so always save my old one... then give my even older phone away to my son who drops all his phones and breaks them, lol.

I buy my international phones on Amazon for a great price.  $500 each for my last 2 phones, both were less than 6 months old

Donald

@AlbertaDonuts

I'm still holding on to my Samsung Note 10+1f60a.svg