People's names in the Philippines

In another posting, brother danfinn writes ..

"Sanskrit was one of the mother languages of the Philippines long before Magellan arrived and claimed them as property of Spain. In fact, many Filipino Tagalog words find their roots in Sanskrit — such as, salita (word) or dalita (poor), or guro (teacher) or maharlika (of noble blood). And even their original writing system, called Alibata, was based on the Sanskrit form of writing.'

This is interesting, and has got one wondering about Phils names in general.

So, why are there so many Philippine locals with odd, unusual or humorous names?

For instance, "Bong Bong" seems quite common? Any more that people have heard?

For instance, in easily findable YouTube videos one can find normal Philippine people named: "Drink Water", "Sincerely Yours", "Macaroni", "Spaghetti", "Mission Impossible", "Patass", "Tamato" and "D*ck Long". All are currently the names of Philippine folks.

Anyone noticing this?

`

Nick names are used all over the world.  I grew up with Egg, Citizen, The Man, Bertstine, Pittsburgh, Turnstine, Woj, Fuzz, Gig

Our plumber we used down in Cam Sur was called Bimbo (yes his correct name) Other workers called Ding dong also Dong dong, regardless this is normal here, Look at some Australian names modeled on our indigenous cousins. 

What I see here is most surnames are of Spanish origin, probably normal after 350 years of colonization, probably never had surnames prior.

We named our 2 black Labrador puppies Cole and Char, boy and girl, we only have to yell charcoal and they both come.

Cheers, Steve.

Nick names are used all over the world.  I grew up with Egg, Citizen, The Man, Bertstine, Pittsburgh, Turnstine, Woj, Fuzz, Gig      -@mugteck

`

Yes agree matey .. but the Philippines seems to tend to take it to another level.

And often the unusual name is also their official-birth-certificate actual names.

Have you, or others, noticed this? Or are we surrounded by odd-named circles?

`

Our plumber we used down in Cam Sur was called Bimbo (yes his correct name) Other workers called Ding dong also Dong dong, regardless this is normal here, Look at some Australian names modeled on our indigenous cousins.  What I see here is most surnames are of Spanish origin, probably normal after 350 years of colonization, probably never had surnames prior.We named our 2 black Labrador puppies Cole and Char, boy and girl, we only have to yell charcoal and they both come. Cheers, Steve.       -@bigpearl

`

Ahh, thanks Steve.

We're glad to hear you are also surrounded by Bimbos, Ding Dongs and Dongs.

My wife grew up with a Bong Bong next door. Fine gentleman, services our cars.

His wife was planning to name one of their pretty young daughters, Crystal Bell.

From what you say Steve unusual names seem quite common in the Philippines?

`

Usual here Col, unusual for us westerners here. Matters little if you don't call them late for dinner.

Cheers, Steve.