What to Bring, What to Buy

My wife and I are planning to move permanently to the Philippines this year.  We are planning on shipping some things there and buying everything else there.  Looking for some suggestions about what is easier/cheaper to send than buy.  Some of my ideas for things to send:

• Hand tools (already have)
  • Battery powered portable tools (already have)
  • Clothing and shoes for myself (I'm 6'1", size 11 shoe)
  • Computers (mostly laptops), monitors etc.
  • TV?  Not sure about that one.  I've heard different opinions.
  • Guitars and mandolin.
  • Electronic items with 240vac capability (power supplies, radios, etc.)  Electronics and ham radio are hobbies of mine.

Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

@kjwilde

i plan on moving over in july selling all my tools here as very cheap in ph i have looked into

Drill bits (metal, wood, and masonry) complete sets.

Large size clothes and shoes.

The hand tools I have are generally high quality, purchased years ago.  Unlikely they would be easily or cheaply replaced with most of the current Chinese crap that is mostly available in the US and elsewhere in the world.  Drill bits are a great idea.

Yes kj the Chinese knock off brands are rubbish, you have to pay like anywhere else for quality, also remember here is 220 volts and 60Hz.

The only power tools/equipment we sent from Australia (240 volts 50Hz) had to be rated 50/60Hz which meant we sold over half before we shipped, We sent a 20ft container with all we wanted to keep as to replace the same quality here is very expensive and aside selling in Australia would be give away prices.

We have also sent 5 Balakbayan boxes as well with things we can't buy here over the last few years.

The other thing to bring is tolerance and a sense of humour.

Good luck with the move.

Cheers, Steve.

What to bring - As little as possible

What not to bring - As much as possible

I gather there may be restrictions on amateur radio equipment so check that.

If it runs on 110v only - Don't bother

Don't forget your 30 year old water heater.

LOL and a sense of humour.

Cheers, Steve.

You dont really need to bring anything other then your personal items, you can find 90% of what you need here. The key is patience and learning where to look. Google is a good friend

The hand tools I have are generally high quality, purchased years ago.  Unlikely they would be easily or cheaply replaced with most of the current Chinese crap that is mostly available in the US and elsewhere in the world.  Drill bits are a great idea.

-@kjwilde

Quality tools you bring! It's a lot of weight of course. But buying quality is not so easy here imo. That being said, almost everything I had in the states was normal US sizing, not metric. And from what I've seen here, everything is metric, which I assumed before moving. I cannot tell you if Fords here are metric or not when it comes to cars. But my Mitsubishi I bought here certainly is. So I left all my American sizing tools at home and gave them to my nephew (that's dangerous, does he even know how to use a ratchet?).

I brought my metric Allens and Torx stuff, and my $500 USD Snap-on digital multimeter. I think it also offers sexy-time for that price but I haven't found the right settings.

For rechargeables, I only brought my 3 battery alike tools. Air pump (good for cars/motorcycles), drill, angle grinder. Bring a bunch of cut-off/grinding discs if it is a larger diameter locking adapter. My HART (Walmart branded) tools angle grinder is odd sized for the local small suppliers here. So I have to look around for discs. But bringing extra lithium batteries and all being the same with an extra charger is a good idea.

FOVAL 220v-110v adapter with multiple plug-in adapters for different countries (Amazon). I have two and they work great. I have two new 110v six outlet 6 foot extensions with voltage protection for my chargers and 1-2 110v items.

Circular saw, if you're going to be doing much woodwork, and have a good one, bring it along with those 110v adapters above and a long 3 prong grounded extension cord. A lot of home wiring here is UNGROUNDED so be forewarned.

If you're loading a container, and have the room, and also have a electric pellet type meat smoker, bring it and load way up on pellets! You can get Amazon here, but shipping is free or expensive as hell, depending on the item.

POTATO PEELER! Buy TWO! I don't think there's a quality sharp potato peeler in the entire country that's for sale!

Same goes for high quality kitchen knives like Wustof. If you got em, bring em. You will pay dearly for shipping and duty if you try to order them online after you've arrived. Also heavy duty kitchen can opener, get two!

If you're a coffee hound like me and prefer to grind your beans, I suggest bringing a good supply of beans and a stainless steel French Press, so it doesn't break on you if dropped. I found good beans finally. Coffee Buddy on Lazada is my go to and I order two kilos at a time. They're in Manila and I'm in Cebu. But I landed with 12 lbs and another 8 pounds in my balikbayan box I shipped over. So if you have a coffee back home that you just love, I suggest you bring plenty. Coffee grinders are dime a dozen, don't fret over that.

Got a favorite underwear/brief? You may as well stock up unless it's tighty whitey. Same with pocket Tees. I like cheap old Fruit of the Loom or Hanes cotton pocket tees and can't find them here. Time to ask family to put together a care package Balikbayan box!

Big-ass feet require big-ass flipflops! Good luck! Bring many! and indoors slippers, you might want a few pairs.

Just a few things that come to mind. Hope it helps.

Nice Larry.

I remember being in Walmart some 15/16 years ago in California and buying a (if memory serves me right as the name brand has worn off with cleaning) a Faberware Potatoe peeler and has never let me down and will most likely outlast me. Best investment. Bring what you know and like as you probably won't be able to purchase here locally.

I feel lucky also as Oz and PH are the same voltage and most things work as long as the right frequency (Hz)

Also think about building materials available here. We knew we were going to extend the house and wanted a white roof, every one here puts dark colours for some reason, regardless we could buy a white colourbond roof but only anodized roof fixings, why no coloured screws I asked the company as you sell 6/8 colours of roofing. Sir we just hand paint them to suit.

We had 5,000 roof and tek screws, 1,000 pop rivets sent from Australia, all white in a Balakbayan box with lots of other goodies (fill them up) and the workers here were amazed with the quality and heavier gauge with no need to paint.

Learning all the time. Still those companies won't get coloured roof screws, sad way to run a business.

Cheers, Steve.

Excellent point on hardware and material.

My wife's potato peeler can't peel a boiled potato! 1f923.svg1f923.svg

I'm thinking if I had to do some Balikan Boxes over I would add:

(1) A couple years supply of prescription drugs.

(2) Same for high quality Fish Oil

(3) Same for Krill Oil

(4) Same for 81mg Aspirins

(5) Trader Joe's Seafood Cocktail Sauce

(6) Sam's Club Balsamic Vinegar

(7) Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce

(8) Black Licorice

(9) Red Man Golden Blend Chew

(10) Skoal Snuff

I'm not a user of tobacco products but once in a while I would like some Red Man or Skoll when writing replies on this forum.

@bigpearl I feel lucky also as Oz and PH are the same voltage and most things work as long as the right frequency (Hz).

Oz frequency is 50 Hz but PH frequency is 60Hz. For some reason PH copied Europe/ANZ for voltage but USA for frequency, meaning that PH is fully compatible with neither. I suspect PH as a US colony used US transformer 220V designs (110/220 in the 1930's) where the magnetics are optimized for frequency. Part of Japan is 60hz as well. PH didn't bother to split into double 110 because that was more expensive so we ended up here with USA old time 1930's outlets (rectangular, no ground pin) but operated at 220-230 volts instead of 110/115 which has resulted in countless destructions of 120 volt US appliances, sometimes unsafely. However, for the most part, appliances rated 50hz +/- will run ok at 20% higher 60 Hz without noticeable difference but if you have an Aussie clock with a small AC motor, the clock designed for 50 Hz will run 20% faster here.

@Fred

hi Fred cant you get 110 transformers over there

i was over there in december bought a t shirt and it was like shrink wrap on me so ive bought a lot of tops here to bring over 😃

@Fred
hi Fred cant you get 110 transformers over there
i was over there in december bought a t shirt and it was like shrink wrap on me so ive bought a lot of tops here to bring over 😃

-@renegadesric529

Most all the t-shirts I buy here are 100 % cotton, made in the Philippines, and cheap.  150 pesos for a t-shirt I know is gonna shrink, always buy 2 sizes bigger than in the US, I get XX Large if they have it here, large in the USA fits me well.

renegadesric529

My house wiring has 120V outlets in the kitchen & bedroom.

I sent our existing 120V appliances to the Philippines in Balikan Boxes. Eventually they break from old age, the only 120V appliances still working is a four slice toaster, an electric perk coffee maker, Kitchen Aid mixer and my HP printer.

mugteck said. . . . Most all the t-shirts I buy here are 100 % cotton, made in the Philippines, and cheap.  150 pesos for a t-shirt I know is gonna shrink, always buy 2 sizes bigger than in the US, I get XX Large if they have it here, large in the USA fits me well.

Well if you use that two size larger formula many Expats would have to buy 5X to go along with their bald heads, gray beards and 46 inch waist size.

Actually I bought named brand boxers & t-shirts from the states and had them sent here. The quality stinks and I would never do that again.

My stepson, a nurse in UK bought me M&S boxers & t-shirts and the quality was excellent.

@Enzyte Bob I'm not a user of tobacco products but once in a while I would like some Red Man or Skoll when writing replies on this forum.

I like Skoal (Copenhagen or equivalent) but it is not available in Dumaguete or Cebu. Once a Filipino friend in Siquijor took me to a market where they actually did sell aged tobacco leaf. I purchased a small amount. I also heard the same was available in Cebu and probably here in Dumaguete. One person (expat) lets it soak in some juice like Apple juice and refrigerates it in preparation for chewing. The leaf that I got was aged but rather unclean and later I think I spotted mold on part of it. The only way I know of to consume tobacco here without smoking it is to buy clean, aged leaf at the mercado and prepare for chewing but that seems like a lot of trouble. I never tried it. But when I go back to America I do tend to get back into that old habit and find it enjoyable. It is just something I must give up here although many years ago I saw Skoal being sold at an obscene price at a kiosk at NAIA airport in Manila; I think it was popular because smoking had been banned on planes and Skoal was a way for long flight travelers to get a nicotine fix in the air.

Yes Dan clocks and timers will run faster or slower depending on the frequency they were designed for. As for induction motors while yes they will run and work on a reduced or added frequency Hz if the wrong Hz either way will quickly shorten the life of what it was designed to do, I have experienced that so many times working here and shipping into country the wrong pumps or A/C units designed to run 50 cycles and then subject to 60 cycles. The same for 60 cycles sold here running on our brought in 50 cycle generators to run a 300 people camp for filming reality TV. The frequency difference is very detrimental especially with induction motors.

The reason I never bothered to bring anything rated at only 50Hz to the Philippines. Electronical gear never seems to be a problem though and just a thought why did my 3 year old TV's die seems the technicians can't give an answer, like me getting old?

Cheers, Steve.

Pinto Beans. Ain't none here. Bring 4-5 lbs and plant 100 in the yard. 1f60e.svg

@Enzyte Bob My house wiring has 120V outlets in the kitchen & bedroom.

It turns out that most of the outside transformers on power pole here are center tapped like in the US, at least the ones sold at our supply store in Dumaguete and the transformers installed by Noreco II. That means you can have an experienced electrician open the transformer and access the 115V wiring (230V split in 2) and run it right to the house. In my case the transformer is really far away, about 100 meters, so I just use 120v step down transformers where I need them. Bob, in your case the transformer is likely easily accessible making it practical to install 115 or 120V wiring in your condo.

@bigpearl and just a thought why did my 3 year old TV's die seems the technicians can't give an answer, like me getting old?

The same happened to me. When I was able to get them repaired it was usually some sensitive circuit that blew out due to our nasty power systems. A regulator may but is not guaranteed. Our power system here has big surges, sags (from brownouts taking down and resuming power), PLT and lightning strike. My USA TVs have lasted several years with regulators but eventually they die as well as the regulators due not protect against all power line disturbances. Western manufacturers usually test their designs for PLD immunity but only PLDs typically found in  1st world systems. They would never spend the money to make products immune to Philippines PLDs lol.

Hear what you say Dan and now we are off grid I hope/see we have a stable regulated supply, I see we don't get the power outages and the only lights in the district with a black out until the generators fire up with neighbours.

Intermittent supply and spikes are nasty for a lot of gear even with surge guard protection. I wonder if any are worth the investment.

Cheers, Steve.

Pinto Beans. Ain't none here. Bring 4-5 lbs and plant 100 in the yard. 1f60e.svg-@Larry Fisher

You can get dry Pinto and Kidney beans from Lazada.

@bigpearl Right. Absolutely. Your system should be far more stable. You are very fortunate to be off grid in a place with one of the worst grids in the world. Nice to be able to give them the finger and maybe sell them some power as well.

Maybe Somalia's grid is worse than PH. Not sure.

Interesting Dan, many countries worse than the Philippines power grids.

Though of topic I brought with me a little knowledge of solar systems to the Philippines, though for several years while I contemplated costs we had a pretty stable grid system but the last 2 years did my head in. trying to sleep at night with no fans or A/C, the refrigerator off for a day or more, we purchased a generator to fill in the gaps but at 2/3 times the price of an unsuccessful grid we but the bullet and shut off the grid power. Installed solar.

As I type at 5pm we have produced/used 51+ Kw and saved some 640 Pesos for the day and batteries @ 95 %, normally 100%.

I used to think that sliced bread and V8's were the ants pants.

Just hope to find decent beef and lamb here, 100 Lb gas bottles as well.

Cheers, Steve.

danfinn said. . . . I like Skoal (Copenhagen or equivalent) but it is not available in Dumaguete or Cebu.  ***********************************

Yes, I should have said Copenhagen, a flavor I enjoyed was Raspberry, but doing a google search (thank you bigpearl) I wasn't able to find it.

I'm enjoying Stokers Long Cut Mint as I write this, purchased on Shopee.

There are a lot of Ham radio operators on this forum. My primary interest was contesting. Many years ago in the CQ World Wide Contest, a 48 hour contest. I had two bottles of Snapple, one to drink and the other to spit. Well I grabbed the wrong bottle and spit. A hour later I took a swig from that bottle.

@Enzyte Bob Thanks for the shopee tip. Now that I know I must check it out even if it is a bad habit...it is life-fulfilling and very enjoyable haha.

Regarding solar and batteries: What kind of quality batteries and what are their costs in the Philippines?  Here, (US), a lot of the inexpensive LiFePo4 batteries are absolute junk that are build with used, unmatched cells and sold on Amazon.  I have a 20Ah that really can only reliably be considered a 10Ah.  Prices here vary wildly.  For a 100Ah, I've seen them go for anywhere between $250 - $900.  I suspect those at the lower end are junk.

I've heard people say the quality of certain electronics and appliances in the Philippines is low.  Wonder how true this is or if it is a function of poor power quality?  Perhaps some of both.  I'm thinking those things that are rated 120/240 (lots of wall  wart power things and those using switching power supplies) I would ship.  Fortunately being in the US we are at 60Hz so that at least is a non issue,

Many years ago, when I worked in the UK, all the power tools were 120v double insulated, same as the US.  We had these encapsulated transformers that we used to power them;  waterproof and nearly indestructible.  If I had a few of those I might consider shipping a few power tools I have like circular saws, sanders and such.  I don't expect any of them to break and most I've had for decades.  I even have a pad sander from the 1960s that I still use, it was my grandfathers, and I expect that to outlast me.

@kjwilde

There has been some great input here from members, nice to see and I've learnt a few things also.

As for batteries we have LiFePo4 batteries, 4 x 10Kw each and yes the most expensive part of going off grid, represents about 60% of the investment. Guaranteed for 10 years or 8,000 cycles but I'm sure over the years their efficiency will drop. Time will tell I suppose.

You can go grid tied solar and no need to buy batteries, we are off grid but can throw 4 breakers and go back on the grid at any time much to Luelcos disdain but as long as we pay them 3 pesos a month for the meter connection we are sweet.

Cost was 1.4M, around 800K for batteries, 11.4Kw of panels, 2 x 5Kw invertors linked/load sharing and installation another 600K.

Not looked back so far, our bills used to be 10K per month but now the system is giving us 18/19K in savings per month as we now run an extra 2 A/C units all day to use the excess power, nice not to worry about power costs.

Yes spikes and voltage fluctuation can be detrimental especially when the power drops out 2/3 times a week and who can tell the voltage when they flick it back on.

Waking up at 2am sweating because the power went off at midnight and returns if lucky by 8am.

Bringing your favourite power tools is a must but remember the voltage differences and the need for transformers or a rewire as some members have achieved.

Good luck with your move.

Cheers, Steve.

AA batteries are also junk here. don't last long. Ford here is made in China therefore likely metric. At least my Territory is. Thats why its cheap and not imported from US which would make it uncheap.

If you like fish and chips like I do, then bring Malt Vinegar! Can't find it anywhere here even S&R.

Plumbing supplies and that two can sealant stuff. Fixtures are not as good quality here and US stuff is much more expensive.

I thought about bringing guitar and musical stuff however Im not sure it would survive the journey. I can imagine a guitar, unless packed in one of those expensive touring cases, flung around inside the container, even wrapped it would sustain damage. Actually how do they pack these containers such that stuff doesnt move all over the place inside?

@danfinn

Will a voltage converter + surge protector not be adequately safe for a US flatscreen?

Are generators and voltage converters better to buy in US or PH? Hate to get there and find out nothing is in stock or reasonably priced ...

AA batteries are also junk here. don't last long. Ford here is made in China therefore likely metric. At least my Territory is. Thats why its cheap and not imported from US which would make it uncheap.  If you like fish and chips like I do, then bring Malt Vinegar! Can't find it anywhere here even S&R.Plumbing supplies and that two can sealant stuff. Fixtures are not as good quality here and US stuff is much more expensive.I thought about bringing guitar and musical stuff however Im not sure it would survive the journey. I can imagine a guitar, unless packed in one of those expensive touring cases, flung around inside the container, even wrapped it would sustain damage. Actually how do they pack these containers such that stuff doesnt move all over the place inside?

We used a full 40 ft container and packed many fragile items sensitive to shipping. Our shipper offered the service of professional packing which we purchased. Among the fragile items were a large Miller standup grandfather clock with weights and pendulum. Also included were sensitive amateur radio equipment and HD TVs and a large refrigerator. We did ship one mandolin and an electric guitar and ukelele (I don't play that anymore but my nephew does lol). Even the grandfather clock arrived in good condition. I think the container shipment is not much worse than surface shipping cross country in the US and our container shipment also involved a little of that in the US as well plus a bumpy ride from Cebu to Dumaguete. The key is professional packing at point of shipment...cost a little extra; a day's pay for 3 packers, cannot remember cost but not cheap. The other thing is that these packer had it so that almost every cubic inch of volume in the container was occupied. Fortunately Customs here did not empty the container but believed the shipping manifest as it was (it was true) and we had a small duty of about 150k php. We had come in on Balikbayan visa waiver and I believe that reduced Customs charges somewhat.

Thanks for sharing Dan, our 20ft container we loaded/packed ourselves in ,Oz floor to ceiling and front to back, manifest supplied but no values asked for , 8/9 pages typed on A4 and no duty nor taxes were asked, forwarder here in Manila shifted it 6 hours north from Manila and 5/6 guys unloading, we simply directed.

From memory one thing broken in the whole 8 week debacle.

@jozica

While only my experience and limited knowledge seems most if not all electronics will run on 110/220 volts as it's simply a power supply feeding electricity into a regulated DC power supply to the appliance.

Others I'm sure will correct me if wrong. Most 110 appliances don't like 220 volts but electronical gear seems to cope.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

Things with motors or heaters will be a problem going from 110 to 220.  However many electronics items now a days have dual rated switching power supplies.  You can check an item in question and the required supply voltage will be listed.  All that would be needed is a different chord or an plug adapter.  Every single laptop power supply I have and nearly all my monitors are dual rated

mugteck said. . . . Most all the t-shirts I buy here are 100 % cotton, made in the Philippines, and cheap.  150 pesos for a t-shirt I know is gonna shrink, always buy 2 sizes bigger than in the US, I get XX Large if they have it here, large in the USA fits me well.
Well if you use that two size larger formula many Expats would have to buy 5X to go along with their bald heads, gray beards and 46 inch waist size.
Actually I bought named brand boxers & t-shirts from the states and had them sent here. The quality stinks and I would never do that again.

My stepson, a nurse in UK bought me M&S boxers & t-shirts and the quality was excellent.       

-@Enzyte Bob

The 3 Ex Pats you watched on you tube the other day would be better off buying tents instead of T-shirts to wear.

AA batteries are also junk here. don't last long. Ford here is made in China therefore likely metric. At least my Territory is. Thats why its cheap and not imported from US which would make it uncheap.
If you like fish and chips like I do, then bring Malt Vinegar! Can't find it anywhere here even S&R.
Plumbing supplies and that two can sealant stuff. Fixtures are not as good quality here and US stuff is much more expensive.
I thought about bringing guitar and musical stuff however Im not sure it would survive the journey. I can imagine a guitar, unless packed in one of those expensive touring cases, flung around inside the container, even wrapped it would sustain damage. Actually how do they pack these containers such that stuff doesnt move all over the place inside?

-@Filamretire

A guitar in a hardshell guitar case should be fine or go to Guitar Center or Box City and get a carton to put the guitar & case inside. That's how they ship from the factory.