Existing visa / DUI

I obtained Spanish residency via golden visa (property purchase) around 1 year ago, valid for 2 years then to be renewed.

This weekend I stupidly got caught drunk driving in Spain (the morning after drinking) after a collision with a wall. I blew 0.51 and expect to go to court in a few months. Is this likely to impact my residency status? 

Thanks

@petersteel

Bad boy!

My understanding was that the criminal record check was for your initial visa. I'd guess that if you still have the property, you should be able to renew.

I'd recommend a consultation with an attorney both to find out how to respond to your DUI, and whether is likely to impact your visa situation. DUIs are serious offences, so I doubt you want to handle this on your own in a Spanish court.

The 0.5 doesn't sound too terrible, if you're talking mg/l in a breath test (vs. limit of 0.25). It might be this is a big fine/points/ban, rather than imprisonment.

Although... of course... 0.5 in the morning AFTER the night before... that sounds like you had quite the sesh.