Setting out to retire in a year or so

Hi I'm Kurt.  Setting out to retire in a year or so.  My wife of 17+ years is from Pampanga so we are planning on making the move in short order.  We have nothing keeping us here in the US anymore so the move would be permanent.

Our current plan is that we would both go this summer and take our two dogs (that might be the most difficult aspect of this) and then I would return after a few weeks to settle affairs here (dispose of of household) and ship whatever we want to send to her.  Once that is done, give my notice at work and then I'll be leaving for good.  We'll start off renting (probably San Fernando area possibly) but would ultimately like to buy something in Pampanga, Pangasinan or Nueva Ecija.  Close to relatives but not too close.

I've been going through this forum for some time and appreciate the resource.

Welcome Kurt, sounds like you have researched your move, know what you want.  There are others on here who live in La Union, could answer any specific questions you may have.  Do not know if your wife is a duel citizen, but it could help if you are gonna be there permanently.  When you enter the country together you can get a visa free one year visit.

Welcome Kurt, sounds like you have researched your move, know what you want.  There are others on here who live in La Union, could answer any specific questions you may have.  Do not know if your wife is a duel citizen, but it could help if you are gonna be there permanently.  When you enter the country together you can get a visa free one year visit.

Wife will be a dual citizen shortly.  First time we'll arrive together.  Then I'll leave and return hopefully only after a few months permanently. 

Wife will be a dual citizen shortly.  First time we'll arrive together.  Then I'll leave and return hopefully only after a few months permanently. 

-@kjwilde

Welcome Kurt!

Hopefully you've spent plenty of time in the Philippines already, so you know what you're getting into, before selling everything.

Hello everyone,

Please note that this new thread has been created on the Philippines forum from your posts for better interaction.

All the best

Bhavna

Hopefully you've spent plenty of time in the Philippines already, so you know what you're getting into, before selling everything.

Haven't been in quite a few years but I'm well aware of the Philippines many 'challenges' at least as far as an Americans sensibilities are concerned.  Having travelled for work for decades I've long sense learned that being rigid is a road to misery.  As far as possessions are concerned, well that is just stuff.  Other than a few personal mementos, I'm not particularly attached to anything. It's amazing how much crap we've accumulated over the years.

Study your resident visa options carefully.  The 13a done in the states is much easier than if you do it in the Philippines and you don't have to change from probationary to permanent(which makes you do it twice).  SRRV seems to have some advantages(the Philippines retirement agency pays for agencies to assist)(veterans have a low deposit)(travel expenses appear to be less).  I did 13a at Chicago consulate and it was pretty tolerable.