Any info would be great!

Hi,

We are in the process of buying a house in DR and am being told by our realtor that the 10% deposits are normally non refundable and we are reading different online as we wanted a financing contingency as well as the inspection contingency just in case our very solid financing fell thru for any reason where we would pay a 20% penalty to the seller and would be refunded the rest. It does not make sense to me and I am reading its not even legal from a lawyer down there at this link...Any thoughts?

Thanks!

dominicantoday.com/dr/expats-corner/2023/07/05/understand-this-before-you-reserve-real-estate-in-the-dominican-republic

Also, does this apply to only new builds or resale ?

You already found the answer. Real estate is often shady business here, especially pre-construction. Even with ”solid” contracts they will try to squeeze more money out of you and often with succes because going to court is often not worth it. Delays and higher material costs are common. Do not assume you get refunds in this country.

That is so depressing.....how can they expect to do business that way. Hopefully there are exceptions.

In all articles and info received it's important to understand the source of that info.  Meaning confirm everything and don't believe everything you read.

Real estate can be a crap shoot.  This is the time to pay for great legal advice

As a realtor working in Punta Cana for over 5 years, I can firmly tell you that I have never once seen a developer refund that initial $5000 USD reservation fee. That fee is non refundable, and whether that is "illegal" as the article states, I have not once seen a refund take place if the clients decided not to go forward with the unit. That is why I always tell my clients to be 150% sure when making a purchase and I only work with trusted builders who have a relationship with the banks here, so that the issue of not being approved at closing does not arise. Things work very different here, and unfortunately not everything that is published reflects what actually happens on the ground.

@Mdcf5

don't put any money down till your sitting at the table signing the contract .

who will you go to to get the money back if they pull out of the deal , the courts wont  help yer , and your Realtor will split the money with the seller , and bring in another ”Mark “ next month ,  remember you have no friends here to help you through the process  so keep your money in your pocket  till the ink is on the paper