Drivers license

Is it easy to change a canadian driver's license to a brazilian one?

Would I need to retake any sort of tests?

Doing that now...you will need to see the dr and do an easy psch testapparently. You need to go to Detrans, pay the fee but first take a copy of your license n get it translated...along with all the notes. They have zero clue about our classes... class 5 weight n lets you drive 2 axled vehicles n scooters. Detrans are nightmares depending where you are. If you're  in a small city like me it got sent twice to detrans in SP...2 months almost n still waiting for them...n it's getting to be 2 weeks until my 6 month time limit is up for driving in my license. Depending where you are i got a good translator who did all the notes for me. I can send to you. Dm me or join the expats in brazil fb group n hit me up on fb messenger (Kozman Yogui)

It is complicated in going to all the right places but very easy to go through and have it done. The test itself is an all day affair and will be in Portuguese, obviously. Being the only North American to probably go through the testing where I was at, I would say they would have bent over backwards for me, if needed, but in all it was a piece of cake.

I couldn't have arranged it all without my Brazilian wife running down all the places to have to get clearance through, that was the pain.

@Cserebogar I will have to renew my license before I go first. I will bring a driving abstract with me as well. I will be staying in SP.

@Brazil Bill I contacted the place that issues licenses here and they said if I returned to canada they would just transfer my from a brazilian on back from a brazilian one to a BC one. It might make sense to renew it every 5 years in canada. Haha

My wife sent me this link. It seems straightforward.

https://www.detran.sp.gov.br/wps/portal … HSjDjQA!!/

One other thing as well is to go to a AAA outlet to get an international driver's license issued. I believe it was good for 6 months here which would buy you time to get a Brazilian one.

I know the first time I lived here my US license expired and when I went back they made me go through everything in the US again from book testing to road testing. I was 48 at the time and had never done all that since I was 16.

Good luck!

It is not easy. I exchanged my Ontario license for a Brazilian one. From the day of completing all the steps, it took 150 days to get it, which is much longer than the promised two weeks or so.

After I didn't get any results at first, I:

• Harassed the Detran and Poupatempo over 100 times with emails
  • Contacted reporters and gave an interview for a newspaper
  • Started a Twitter account harrassing the Poupatempo and Detran nearly every day
  • Filed an Ouvidoria and a ReclameAqui

I finally contacted the president of the Detran on Twitter privately and surprisingly, he asked for my CPF and after a week it was resolved. The Detran and and the Poupatempo themselves were extremely unhelpful and often ignored or didn't read my emails.

It was only after intense harrassment of them in public did I get any results. It was the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

@UhOhDetran that is the same in canada if you want something done you need to go public and it magically very fast.

I already have a CPF but that was a Hassel and it was issued after I left the country.

My wife currently has the original.

You must get a Brazil driving license within 6 months of moving here, but I did not find the process too difficult, just very bureaucratic! However, before you go back home, get the international version (lasts 2 years, or until your license expires), that way you can drive and in your home country, but not pick up any pernalty points on your home license! Just pay the fines!

My husband paid the fees for his Brazilian license, but they gave him a written test in Portuguese, which he could not complete. They would not allow for a translator. Is this legal? Does he have any recourse? Natal, RN.

@ClaudiaMonica

I must admit this is the first time I think I have heard of a written test here (I believe they have now dropped on the on-line course). Normally you get a license on a like-for-like basis, plus an eye, medical and psychiatric test. Was he maybe trying to get a license for something he was not allowed to drive at home?

But if a foreigner emigrated to the US, for example, would you not expect them to at least learn some basic english?

12/15/23   My husband paid the fees for his Brazilian license, but they gave him a written test in Portuguese, which he could not complete. They would not allow for a translator. Is this legal? Does he have any recourse? Natal, RN.

-@ClaudiaMonica

Good morning,  @ClaudiaMonica.  There is a legal requirement for a driver's license to be able to communicate in Portuguese,  but it's very unevenly enforced.  Unfortunately, your husband drew the short straw.

The easiest thing to do now would probably be for him to get it through a driving school, which will effectively act as a despachante and get his license for him, at some expense to you.

12/15/23 Normally you get a license on a like-for-like basis, plus an eye, medical and psychiatric test. Was he maybe trying to get a license for something he was not allowed to drive at home?But if a foreigner emigrated to the US, for example, would you not expect them to at least learn some basic english?        -@Peter Itamaraca

I had to pass a test to identify road hazards, traffic signs, and so on.  It mainly consisted of matching pictures in a plasticized book, but the test instructions, answer sheet, and any notes were in Portuguese.  Maybe that was what hung him up.

As the final step of the process, I was given the choice of taking a written test on the DETRAN rules of the road booklet, or attending an ungraded class, an hour a day for five consecutive days, and receiving my license automatically on completion.  I  did the class.

@UhOhDetran that is the same in canada if you want something done you need to go public and it magically very fast.
I already have a CPF but that was a Hassel and it was issued after I left the country.
My wife currently has the original.

-@Canforbra

Not my experience. I got my Australian license exchanged for a Canadian one in 2 weeks and they gave me a temporary right away. In fact, I've used a lot of government services in Canada and I've always received outstanding service.

@Peter Itamaraca

He was not trying to get anything "fancy", just the run of the mill driver's license. Yes, it would be great if he knew Portuguese well enough, but that isn't the case. I believe in the States they have more accomodations, though comparisons are futile.

I will accompany him next time, being his wife and knowing the language, though not proficient, they may have more mercy (i am a hibrid, jejeje). He just needs to keep trying, that's my belief. Thank you for your input.

@ClaudiaMonica
I must admit this is the first time I think I have heard of a written test here (I believe they have now dropped on the on-line course). Normally you get a license on a like-for-like basis, plus an eye, medical and psychiatric test. Was he maybe trying to get a license for something he was not allowed to drive at home?
But if a foreigner emigrated to the US, for example, would you not expect them to at least learn some basic english?

-@Peter Itamaraca

I had to take a written test 2 years ago. It was NOT like an English (American) one in that I found it overly simplified and should prove no problem to anyone with rudimentary Portuguese which I had at the time. The psychiatric test was about the same. I just mentioned that my Portuguese wasn't the best and they helped all they could. Overall, it was a very simple experience and I already had the same type license in the US for over 40 years.

Now renewal I hear is something else altogether!

@ClaudiaMonica

I completely agree with you - go with him, and help him. Good luck!

@Peter Itamaraca
He was not trying to get anything "fancy", just the run of the mill driver's license. Yes, it would be great if he knew Portuguese well enough, but that isn't the case. I believe in the States they have more accomodations, though comparisons are futile.
I will accompany him next time, being his wife and knowing the language, though not proficient, they may have more mercy (i am a hibrid, jejeje). He just needs to keep trying, that's my belief. Thank you for your input.

-@ClaudiaMonica

They would not allow my wife to attend much less help in any way but each place may be different. Speaking personally, he may just need to learn to lean on others, in this case those Detran workers, since I find most times people are amazed when dealing with (American?/Canadian ?/ others?) and will do all they can to help. I allow them the opportunity to do so.

12/15/23 Now renewal I hear is something else altogether!

-@Brazil Bill

Last time, I was able to renew online.   I think that I needed to get a new eye test, then just picked my new license up at DETRAN.  Check your DETRAN's website to see whether that's available to you when the time comes.

Thank you! Wilç do!

Now renewal I hear is something else altogether!

-@Brazil Bill

No - it is pretty easy. Apply on line, pay the fee, take a medical and eye test, pick it up or download it...

@Peter Itamaraca

He has most of it done, when he gets back from a trip, we will jump on it. Will let you all know if we were successful, thank you for all the tips!

12/15/23 Now renewal I hear is something else altogether!        -@Brazil Bill

Last time, I was able to renew online.   I think that I needed to get a new eye test, then just picked my new license up at DETRAN.  Check your DETRAN's website to see whether that's available to you when the time comes.

-@abthree

Also Peter Itamaraca...

Good to know some things get better!

In canada if you have a license from let's say China, they will switch it over no issues. If your a new driver you they have tests in multiple languages, no need to know English.

Eye test is done on the spot.

No need for medical unless you have a condition.

Never heard of a psychological for a road test before.

@CanforbraI heard from Detrans today...they want MRE info that what I already gave them... they want # of passengers for class5 weights of trucks you can drive...for the love of God!! I went n did a declaracao saying forget all the other BS just give me a regular drive a car class B license...it's been over 2 friggen months already.

@Cserebogar the class 5 is the standard license in bc

@Canforbra, it is for all of Canada. It's  a real pain in ass since detrans wants a shitload of info for it. You would think they would keep a copy of the other country's equivalencies.. but no. They want everything... truck size,truck weight, how many ppl n max weight.. pain in the ass to get n then have it all translated. Save yourself alot of grief... ask for the declaracao for the brazil class b which is just for cars... i will prob have to wait a 3rd time another 2 months for an answer from them.