House timber

hi , is there any problems with termites attacking the house timbers ?

Yes

what is the answer ?

@baxi2775 yes.  That's why we built our house with concrete and steel.  Only the door frames and doors are wood, and of course some furniture.  But absolutely nothing structural is wood.  You have to do that if you want your house to survive in the tropics.

@baxi2775

Any timber used should be well treated with Solignum or a similar wood treatment.

Coco wood must taste like candy to termites. My father in law's houses usually evolved something like this. He would build a house out of coco wood and lauan plywood. As the termites devoured the house from the bottom up he would replace the crewed up wood with hollow block.

Philippines Earthquake: 6.8 Magnitude Shake, Investigated , timber does stand up to earthquakes better ?  yes no  .

@Moon Dog  i sounds like a full time job ? les

Hi baxi, go talk to the residents in Abra and surrounds, we are a hundred plus kilometres away and here was only 5.2. Concrete rendered house shook from side to side 2 to 3 inches, stuff falling of shelves, doors and drawers opening, scary but no damage to the house.

Google the aftermath of Abra.

Cheers, Steve.

hi , used to experience that in Cyprus , big crack in the houses ?

@Moon Dog  i sounds like a full time job ? les

-@baxi2775

It was until Yolanda flattened that house. We built them a hollow block bungalow so no more worries.

Yes timber might stand to earthquakes but not typhoons...