Baguio City

We decided to spend 4 months in Baguio this trip, moved in Sunday, 11/5/23.  Got a two bedroom apartment for the first month, will be moving into a single bedroom place for the last three months, same apartment building.  Price is 25,000 pesos a month, includes all utilities, WiFi and a huge smart tv.  We had visited Baguio previously, but there is nothing like moving into Lower Rock Quarry Barangay.

It is very similar to our barangay in Manueva, roosters every morning, barking dogs at all hours, plenty of cats hanging out everywhere, 12 sari-sari stores on the main drag.  There is a curved path with 24 rock steps leading up to the city roads, while 4 blocks away the level street connects with the same city road.  The whole city is up and down hills everywhere, listed at 4800 feet above sea level, the high every day is in the high 70'sF, while at night it sometimes gets as low as 60F.  We do not use any fans, there is no air conditioner nor heater.  There is a water heater attached to the shower.  The walking is tiring, but there are cabs everywhere, and very cheap.  The hail price is 40 pesos, and the price is usually about 100 pesos, largest so far was 105 pesos getting home from the SM Mall at 5:30 PM.

There is a large market here open 7 days a week, got some good boneless tuna for 400 pesos/kg, and many other fresh whole fish are available.   The cathedral has Sunday Mass in English at 11, 12,1, and 2.  We attended noon mass, and were surprised it ended at 1:05 PM. As everyone left, it filled up, and two minutes later the next mass began, all are broadcast to the outside.  Been to many masses in Santa and Vigan which lasted 80 minutes, went to a Friday mass in Vigan 4 years ago at 5 PM which lasted 24 minutes.  Only two bible readings, for the sermon the father said he believed the daily gospel and so should we.

Looking forward to exploring more of Baguio,  population over 300,000 and spread across the mountains.  Got some very good vegetarian spring rolls next to the cathedral, only 25 pesos each, 3 was a meal for me. Looking forward to next Sunday.  Have seen a few obviously retired white guys at the SM Mall, have not met or talked to any expats yet.  If there are any meeting places I would appreciate finding out.

@mugteck

Tks for that update Mugtech.

I visited Baguio around 2008 - 2010 when you could fly into what is still the most charming airport (effectively an airfield) I have ever flown into.  Asian Spirit were the sole airline and had a turbo prop on the route 4-5 times a week. It was a very picturesque landing. You felt that you had arrived in somebody's backgarden. Equally charming was the Elizabeth Hotel on Gibralter Rd (about 3KM from you) where I stayed. I was the only foreigner there and the Bakla manager took a liking to me lol. Talk about being treated like a king with a traditionally furnished period room on the top floor. They had a big party of government employees there so I was seated in the conservatory for breakfast on my todd; a considerate touch by the management.

I was there about 5 days and was bedridden with a type of fever for a day. It went as quickly as it came and my guess is that it was the altitude coupled with the appalling air quality. The air is thinner at 5000ft up and the belching emissions caused by the Jeepneys at full crank up the steep hills I don't think helped. I am not an asthma sufferer and don't normally  get chest conditions so go figure.

Quite rainy on my visit and ended up buying an umbrella! In terms of where to meet expats I came across very few. I did however stumble across a great Swiss Deli coffee shop (if there is decent coffee to be found Lotus will locate it ;) ) half way up Sessions Rd. I doubt if it is still there but it was on the right hand side walking up.

Still have my beloved colourful Baguio broom that I purchased at the local market in my Kitchen in Bath :)

Had our 32 year old nephew visit, along with his family, last weekend.  He had to work Saturday morning, so he and his wife and their three children, aged 2,4,6 got on a Florida Bus in Laoag, Ilocos Norte at 1:30 PM.  He brought his mother in law along for babysitting purposes.  We only have one extra bedroom with a bunk bed in it, was curious to see how they were going to sleep.  We drove from Laoag to Baguio in our van in 5 hours 30 minutes.  Their trip made a lot of stops, took 8 hours and 40 minutes, ariving at 10:10PM.  They took a taxi and made it to our apartment in 10 minutes.

After everyone got settled in, they decided they still wanted to go to the night market, is open until 2AM.  So Nephew, his wife, and my wife set out for a 20 minute walk at 11:20 PM  night market is next to Burnham Park.  I passed, markets under artificial light are no more worth viviting than sunlit markets.  Lola got the kids to bed, they were tired, and I went to sleep.

I got up was amazed all six slept in the tiny bunk bed room.  It took everyone all morning to get ready for church, while I entertained the kids with all kinds of videos by Disney, Shakira, Marriah C. And some other animated stuff.

Finally we were out on the road trying to wave down a taxi, got one at 11:35, but he said he can only take 4 passengers, as is written on the side of the taxis.  The night before all 6 got in a taxi plus their luggage. We got to the cathedral at 11:55 for noon mass, every seat taken.  After Mass we walked up to Upper Sessions Road and had lunch at Tokyo, a Japanese fast food place.  We got the senior discount, they did not want to accept my passport, but my PA drivers license did the trick.  Our bill for 8 of us was 1630 pesos, save 100 pesos with our senior discount, food was fast quality, enjoyed my shrimp.  Three blocks of Upper Sessions Road are blocked from traffic on Sundays and this week they had costumed dancers with live music, it made the videos the kids had been watching seem real.

SM City Baguio Mall is right at the top of Upper Sessions, so we spent a few hours doing mall stuff.  There are some nice views of the city from the upper levels of the mall, called Sunset Terrace, as it faces west.  Suddenly it was time to rush to the bus station to catch the last bus some, the 6:05 PM .  Just made it in time, nephew bought the tickets, he had to stand for the first part of the ride.  Later they informed us they got home at 1AM Monday morning, that they really enjoyed the weekend.  They would like to come back for Christmas.  Told them on 12/4/23 we move into a single bedroom apartment, won't be having overnight guests.

@mugteck

I like Baguio and we visit 2/3 times a year, some fantastic places, green in mind and all seems to be clean at a rubbish level, some great facilities but doubt I could live there though, too many people, traffic and in downtown pollution. The drive up and down is better these days compared to 10 years ago which is a plus.

Hope you enjoy your stay mate.

Cheers, Steve.

Went to the SM Mall this week, thought I would check out the bookstore.  My history with bookstores in Vigan and Laoag has been disappointing.  They are more like school supply stores, with plenty of tablets, paper, pens, pencils and rulers.  The books are text books, childen's books, young adult books, and a few history books plus a few classics (Mark Twain, Tolstoy).  Contemporary fiction almost nonexistant.  I spoke to the bookstore in Vigan and they ordered some Lee Child and John Grisham.  Said it would take two weeks, went back in three weeks, said they could not get them.

So I was very surprised when I saw a pile of John Grisham's novel just released in October, called The Exchange.  It was priced at 1,190 pesos, same price dollar wise as could be ordered from Barnes and Noble.  Got some help from a clerk and she also found a copy of the latest Jack Reacher novel also released in October called The Secret.  Price was  1,120 pesos, same price as B&N.  So for 2,310 pesos I got two books I never thought would be available.  Saw some other fiction I might be interested at a later date, but did not want to wear the store out my first visit.  Was eager to get home and start reading.

For John Grisham fans, The Exchange traces the lives of the lawyer and wife who escaped from The Firm, a 1991 novel made into a movie in 1993, the same year Grisham's Pelican Brief was made into a Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington movie.

Perhaps my bad but aren't all novels available online, I stopped reading years ago and donated 900 books to the local thrift store as no one wanted to buy but I did bring a couple of hundred novels (my favourite authors} to the Philippines and still boxed up, life is busy here.

Cheers, Steve. 

I always load up on books before coming to the Philippines. As stated by mugtech the bookstores here are a joke.

Most Filipinos have never read a novel in their lifetime. One wonders how they spent their free-time before smartphones came along.

I prefer a a book as opposed to an electronic device such as a Kindle but would use one if based here on a long term basis.

As most of you know I enjoy the Café culture (  writing this in a Starbucks in Rockwell Makati) In my go to coffee shop in Bath you will see  University/ college students reading tangible books.  Latest UK retail research figures show that sales of electronic readers have plateaued

Hardback & paperback sales are on the increase.

I do not have a kindle, prefer paperback books, easier to trade with other readers.  Only buy hardcover when given no choice.

I like Baguio for its weather and scenery.  I'd like to see the rice terraces too. Isn't it crowded now in the center of the city? I heard camp John Hay has some restaurants and golf. Is the 'slaughterhouse' worth a visit?

Regarding books. Was never a fan electronic readers, yep, I am still buying paperbacks, hardcover for titles I treasure. The most recent paperback I purchased was 'The Wealthy Barber Returns' by David Chilton.

The weather is a great relief from the lowlands.  It does feel crowded downtown, part of that because there are many narrow or nonexistant sidewalks.  Not a golfer, not a meat eater, cannot help you on the links or about any slaughterhouse.  They had a wedding this past Saturday at this end of the barangay, heard at least two pigs being killed, heard some goats, do not know if any of them died.  The music in our apartment was louder than our tv, heard River of Babylon twice,  some other reggae and plenty of Filipino folk music, went light on the line dancing.  Was quiet by 10 PM.

My partner and l have just move

over to Baguio from the lowlands,l find the climate  much to my liking as a Englishman .l have a Filipino friend who drives my car everywhere. I wouldn't  drive my self here to many steep winding roads. About books l found

a 2nd hand book store in a Agricultural festival. I bought 2 Jeffrey Archer and 1

Lesley  Tomas book l think there is a 2nd book store in the SM mall

@mugteck

heard River of Babylon twice,

You have staying power Mugtech. I remember that track from the 70,s. A massive hit in the UK reaching number 1 but only 30 on the US Billboard Hot 100. I guess that says alot about British pop culture at the time & Filipino pop culture today? A Capital radio (the BBC's nemesis at the time in the London area) DJ pithily stated that the Germans should stick to exporting cars instead of music( yes they were a German band)

That said the above track is preferable to having to endure the sound of Win Radio in a Manila taxi cab🙄

We took a 10 minute walk to BDO bank today arriving at 2:05 PM.  The wife immediately had to go on one of their computers and get her number to be served.  Since she is over 60 years old she qualifies as a priority, and after about 10 minutes of back and forth she got p1025, they were currently serving p1021.  All she was doing was depositing US bills into a dollars account which she had opened three years ago in Vigan.

We had been there 45 minutes when her number got called.  There were people there less than 60 years old who were waiting when we arrived, and 45 minutes later they were still waiting.  How long does it take to make a deposit of cash into a BDO account in a BDO bank?  It took 17 minutes.  Part of the holdup was my wife insisting that she did not have to pay a 200 peso service charge when she deposited or withdrew money at a BDO branch other than the branch where she opened the account.  This has been the case as long as I can remember dealing with BDO, for some reason she thought that changed.  So we walked out at 3:07PM, 62 minutes.  This is why I always take a book along on bank trips. It was a beautiful day, around 75F and sunny, we enjoyed our walk.  Had to remind the wife we are moving into a different apartment on Saturday, so anything she bought would have to be hauled home, then moved again on Saturday.  Said she understood, only bought herself ice cream on a stick, was consumed quickly.

mugtech - I take it that the banks in the Philippines do not have the machines to do it yourself. In the UK I simply feed the money into the machine after inserting my card and collect a receipt to show how much I have deposited into my account.

Cherryann01 said. . . . mugtech - I take it that the banks in the Philippines do not have the machines to do it yourself. In the UK I simply feed the money into the machine after inserting my card and collect a receipt to show how much I have deposited into my account.

That's pretty much how it was in the states before moving to the Philippines. Banks are moving forward with less tellers.

Side note: With the rise in theft at self checkouts at retailers some of them are considering other options. In the states I liked pumping and paying at the pump with my card for gas.

mugtech - I take it that the banks in the Philippines do not have the machines to do it yourself. In the UK I simply feed the money into the machine after inserting my card and collect a receipt to show how much I have deposited into my account.

-@Cherryann01

Wife had some bad experiences with that, now insists on the human touch.

Many of the BDO banks in my area now have a designated deposit only machine usually next to the atm, but we only used a couple times, and yeah anytime we walk up to a counter for anything at bdo they charge us p200 unless its our home bank.

I got tired of storing all my old books along with the searching, I for one think Kindle is great, I have all my books on my mobile at the touch,

wifi or not...So Easy to search, buy and download in minutes...

My BDO bank charge no fees for deposits or withdrawals, Told the manager many years ago if you try the 200 peso fee on these accounts again we will move to a more amenable non robbing bank, 4 years no fees.

Off topic, my bad.

Cheers, Steve.

I have learned to have patience when it comes to the total disregard of time here.  In 2019 we offered to take my brother in law to his doctor office visit.  He was scheduled for 10 AM and it was a 25 minute drive to north Vigan.  I told him we would leave at 9:30 AM in our van, he lived about 50 feet from where the van was parked.  He finally showed up at 10:10 AM, so we took off and made it at 10:35 for a 10:00 appointment.  The doctor never showed up until 11:30, then had a 5 minute meeting during which my bro was told he is still sick, refill these three scripts.  Went to his favorite drug store, gave them the scripts, and 20 minutes later we were told they could only fill one of the three.  Wound up going to 4 more drug stores to get the other two scripts filled.  Got home about 3 PM, 5 and a half hours to complete his day.

Then there was the local wedding, about a 7 minute walk from our house in Manueva.  Received a hand delivered invite on Thursday saying it was a 4PM wedding.  We showed up a few minutes early and were the only people there.  The wedding started promptly at 5:15 PM

But today's trip to the Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center got the grand prise for wasted time.  We took a 75 peso 15 minute cab ride and arrived at 2:20 PM.  My wife had been told that if she wanted to speak to a doctor it would have to be in the Emergency Room.  She had a bad cough 2 nights, spitting out crap, not being able to sleep unless sitting on the sofa.  There was a sign on the door that only patients, watchers and staff were allowed in.  Evidently I did not qualify as a watcher so I had to stay out.  I killed time as best I could, watching the line waiting to be served peaked at 26, my wife had been 8th in line, signed into a room at 2:40 PM.  By the time she came out to get her bill it was 6:30PM!  I was wearing prescription sunglasses, the world was dark.

But we were not finished yet, it had taken them almost 4 hours to get her some cough medicine.  Said she had a dry cough, had to drink more water, gave her a pill to help regulate her increased urinations  Had to pay the 500 peso bill one place, then go to another to pick up the scripts, then pay for the scripts at a different window.  But the hospital drug store did not have the one, so we were told to exit the hospital and go up the main road to a local pharmacy, bought the meds for 232 pesos, the bill for the Emergency Room including the one drug was 526 pesos.  So we were trying to flag down a cab, got one immediately at 6:55 and were home by 7 :15. 

It was cheap, but even my wife thought it took way too long, she said next time we're gonna go to the other hospital.  Can't wait

My wife & I have had bad hacking coughs several weeks in duration, hard to sleep when one of us is coughing our brains out.

Non prescription Butamirate Citrate (Sinecod Forte) worked fine for us.

For bigpearl: It's bad for me to cough my brains out because brain cells don't regenerate at my age.

Received a hand delivered invite on Thursday saying it was a 4PM wedding.  We showed up a few minutes early and were the only people there.  The wedding started promptly at 5:15 PM    -@mugteck

This is what they call Filipino time. I never liked this behavior.

We were invited to a party that starts at 4pm here. I told the wife the invite says 4pm, we'll show up at 4pm. I don't want to practice a behavior that will train me to be a slacker. We arrived on time, we're the first to arrive. The hosts are still in the shower. The other guests started arriving at 5pm. I had to entertain myself while I waited. 😉

Well, should I pick better friends or should I bend?

Made it back to Fully Booked, the store in the SM Mall, and was successful again.  This time I got the only two Brad Thor novels they had in paperback from 2021 and 2023.  I have read two of his previous novels about Scott Harvath, American hero all over the world, the books, Black Ice and Rising Tiger cost 569 and 615 pesos, a few dollars more than US prices.  One takes place above the Artic Circle and the other in India.  The one I am looking forward to is Dead Fall, taking place in modern day Ukraine.

While I was there I inquired about the latest David Baldacci novels, and the sales lady listed about 6 titles, but I did not remember the names of the two 2023 novels I have not read.  Looked it up when I got home, they are The Edge and Simply Lies.  In a few weeks I will go back again and see if any of these books are available.   Gives me something to do while my wife is shopping.  When we go to markets and other such small, independent businesses, she wants me to hide somewhere or not be there at all.  She claims she can bargain for better prices when her American husband is not with her.  I am glad to stay home or go elsewhere.       

Hear you mugteck with the hiding bit. As for literature and reading though we shipped a few hundred books here and donated 7/800 in Oz I have not read a novel for 6 or more years, busy/time gets away, other interests, building etc. but I know I have imported many books that I read 20/30 years ago that were sent here for rereading in my quieter times, books I love. Back to work now.

Cheers, Steve.

Just realized on the Fully Booked bag there is a list of locations of stores.  Would be good to know if anyone visited any of these stores and what the selections were like.

Bonifacio High Street

Alabang Town Center

The Power Plant Mall, Rockwell Center

Promenade, Green Hills

Greenbelt 5

Eastwood Mall, Easrwood City

SM Mega Fashion Mall

SM Mall of Asia

The Block, SM North Edsa

Century City Mall

Trinoma

Regis Center, Katipunan

2 Torre Lorenzo Building, Taft Ave

The Terraces, Ayala Center, Cebu City

Abreeza Mall, Davao City

Limketkai Center, Cagayan De Oro City

Please let us know if you know anything about these stores.

Just realized on the Fully Booked bag there is a list of locations of stores.  Would be good to know if anyone visited any of these stores and what the selections were like.Bonifacio High StreetAlabang Town CenterThe Power Plant Mall, Rockwell CenterPromenade, Green HillsGreenbelt 5Eastwood Mall, Easrwood CitySM Mega Fashion MallSM Mall of AsiaThe Block, SM North EdsaCentury City MallTrinomaRegis Center, Katipunan2 Torre Lorenzo Building, Taft AveThe Terraces, Ayala Center, Cebu CityAbreeza Mall, Davao CityLimketkai Center, Cagayan De Oro CityPlease let us know if you know anything about these stores.        -@mugteck

I am now back in the UK but was in Rockwell recently and the Power Plant Mall is one of my favourites in Manila. They have a good cross section of retail outlets and eateries. The best coffee in Manila can be savoured at the Illy Café on the first floor and is a great place to people watch.

I did visit the National Bookstore on the lower ground level but very few novels/thrillers to be found  (if you're a fan of David Baldacci Mugtech you will devour the Michael Connelly novels.) Essentially it's more of a stationery outlet. This surprised me as you get many professional people using this mall. Cannot resist the jazz pianist on the ground floor tinkling away on the keyboards playing some delightful jazz standards. Maybe I will have that 2nd cappuccino and perhaps a Blueberry Muffin..

Thanks for the info Lotus Eater.  I was in the SM Mall of Asia, but not looking for books, killing time before flying to Singapore.

Had our first Jeepney ride of the season.  Took a taxi out Neguilian Road into the suburbs, a 120 peso ride.  My wife hooked up with a local realtor who also works for the company from whom we are currently renting our apartment.  So we were out there checking out a house built in 2016 in a subdivision a bit off the main road with a great view of the valley.  It is a two floor house with an attic and a basement.  The second floor master bedroom has a private bath room, but no shower.  The main bathroom is on the first floor next to the kitchen.  There is extra room on the second floor for another bedroom, plus the attic and basement could each be bedrooms.  The only thing I would add is a water heater for the shower.

They are asking 3.5 million pesos, about $64,000.  They would want 150,000 pesos down, with the balance due by 4/30/24.  They will not allow us to move in until the house is paid in full.  We are heading back to the USA 3/30/24, so we woul be making the final payment from the USA.  We are scheduled to see our lawyer on Tuesday to get the agreement finalized.  Real Estate Taxes were 82 pesos this year.  We are very serious about this, and if it all works out we will be making more jeepney rides in the future.  We got off the jeepney across from our BDO branch, so it was 10 minutes walk back to our apartment.  The jeepney ride was 15 pesos per person

Of course if this goes through I get to pay for the townhouse while my wife gets to own the house.  She is already planning renting the house out for the 6 months we will be gone, planning to return next October.  Planning on having the family help us furnish the place.

When we went to Baguio General Hospital my wife was told to get blood tests the following Friday, 12/8 after fasting for at least 8 hours.  Not sure what blood sugar testing and cholesteral tests had to do with her cough, but who am I to question a professional?  She got priority service when we arrived at 9:30 AM, and 10 minutes later her tests were completed.  They told her she could pick up her results in three hours.  She requested to see a doctor at that time.  She was told that most doctors were not in that day because of the holiday  huh?  Turns out it was Immaculate Conception Day.  I had been in the Philippines three previous Decembers, never was aware of said holiday.  The closest I could remember was a celebration in and around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania this time of year known as the immaculate reception, not an official holiday, but do not tell that to a Steelers fan,  So we agreed to come back Monday, 12/11 to complete the transaction. The cost of the bllod tests was 1,100 pesos, about $20.  Would have been free with Medicare.

We returned yesterday to the lab to pick up the results, only took about 10 minutes to get the printouts.  Headed to the Emergency Room to see the d9ctor who ordered the tests.  Were informed that he was not in that day, would have to go to the first floor of the regular hospital.  After the wife exolained to the woman what we needed, we were sent to the third floor internal medicine.  The woman there said, oh no, you have to go to the second floor and sign in there.  There was a packed house on floor 2 and a long line just to sign in.  My wife decided to go back to the original doctor's office and make an appointment some time later this week.  She was informed that since it was a government sponsored hospital, one could not make an appointment, but had to sign in and get in line with everyone else and wait your turn.

At that point my wife decided to send the test results to her Filipina MD friend in the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania and get her take on the results.  She was no longer coughing.

We did get some good results in other areas on Monday.  On the hospital grounds there were three vendors, all selling veggie spring rolls.  Gotta love the capitalism here in the Philippines.  The rolls were not quite as big as the ones we get on Sunday, but they were selling for 15 pesos and were tastier.  Bought 6.

Then we stopped in at BDO to withdraw some money, wife had her ATM card, so she was lookong for a quick transaction, no fees.  One of the ATMs was down, so the wife got in line for the lone working ATM. She was 9th in line.  After 20 minutes and 2 people dropping out of line she had her turn.  She wanted to withdraw 50,000 pesos, but she was forced to make two 25,000 withdrawals.  Only took her 5 minutes, so total bank time was 25 minutes, our best time year to date!

My wife makes her Doctors appointment and several days before the appointment she goes for her blood work. My stepson downloads and prints out the lab report which my wife gives to her Doctor.

My experience when using a BDO Atm is a maximum withdrawal of P10,000 which can be repeated till you reach the daily limit of P50,000. When a BDO Atm is not working, it's out of money.

@mugteck

It would not surprise me if your wife's cough is pollution related. I found the air quality worse in Baguio than Manila. Higher altitude means less chance for the crap to escape.

My recent 1st week in Manila, and bang on time after a few days an irritating cough develops. After two days in Phnom Penh it went. I remember after my first visit to Manila in January 2001 I had a severe cold and came back to Blighty with a hacking cough which went on for three weeks.

I guess its all relative though; the most polluted city in the world, Delhi, has just entered its foul (cooler) air 'season' - now rated as 'severe' over the next 3 months. Apparently the average citizen loses 12 years of life to air pollution. I reckon I've lost the same dealing with Indian call centres :(

@mugteck
It would not surprise me if your wife's cough is pollution related. I found the air quality worse in Baguio than Manila. Higher altitude means less chance for the crap to escape

-@Lotus Eater

Yes. It would worse in a valley where the air would just go round and round in the bowl with little chance of escape. Mountaintop cities would likely fare better as the wind/breeze up there is constantly sweeping the air away.

@Lotus Eater I went to to Bath University BSEE, in the 70s! Great place indeed. I have the Kindle paperwhite, good as a book. I also have a large book collection being shipped. No trading because no one else reads books here. Went to Baguio a year ago, it was ok for short trip, and really enjoy the fruit and veggies there, its the best place in the Philippines for cold weather veggies. It's too hard to get to tho, up and down the mountain, so wouldn't want to live there, plus it's crowded and also many tourists.

Got to visit a new exhibit here in Baguio.  When I say new, I mean it was built in 2020 while we were leaving, this is our first trip back.  It is called Igorot Stone Kingdom, up on a mountain side.  As usual my wife used GPS and we still had to stop and ask directions.  I knew we were getting close when the no parking signs turned into paid parking signs.  Someone of Igorot  heritage took on the job to display the use of stones by the mountain people in their lives and in their fantasies.  Admission was 100 pesos, but my Pennsylvania Drivers license got me in for 80 pesos.  The parking was all day for 100 pesos.  The main attraction was a huge castle with all kinds of lookout spots and some huge statues of warriors and some white carabao.  For 50 pesos you could rent some traditional Igorot clothing and be royalty. A little more than an hour was enough for me.  Everything was stone.  Often a new place will remind me of song lyrics.  This time, even though it was not raining, I heard Rainy Day Women.  "But I would not feel so all alone, everybody must get stoned!". 

Some locals informed us that our van was not allowed in Baguio City between 7 AM and 7 PM.  Vehicles had to be owned by residents or licensed to do business in the city.  The family pulled in at 5 AM, driving from Ilocos Sur at midnight.  We had them in for breakfast at 6 AM, but then they took off to get out to our house closing by 7 AM.  So they just hung out, got some sleep before we showed up with the agent by cab at 9 AM.  All went well, one family member in the construction business looked over the structure and electrical system  and found no problems.  Got some more details, trash and garbage disposal is 30 pesos a week, and the dues for the homeowners association are 150 pesos a month for 24/7 security.  After the closing we headed for the Igorot Stone Kingdom, got lunch at a nearby inn, and headed out.  Since the van was not allowed into Baguio they dropped us at the city line and headed back down the mountain.  We grabbed a jeepney, crammed in the back, and passed 30 pesos up towards the driver.  A young guy gave my wife 5 pesos back and said "senior discount"  I had been told that senior jeepney fare was 12 pesos, but it did not seem worth it to me to pass around my driver's license to save myself 3 pesos.  The driver believed we were both over 60 years old, actually 69 and 74.

@mugteck

Another great visit is the Ben Cab museum, worth a look on his FB page to see if it's your cup of tea. Great garden and views as well as interesting works.

Cheers, Steve.

I relooked at some of my old pics when Ben and I visited 7/8 years ago and what is now online, seems the property has developed even further so worth another visit for us, his works and those displayed from other artists are amazing and we really enjoyed a meal looking out over the gardens and surrounding mountains.

Another bucket list and perhaps when my Sis and Bil visit next year.

Cheers, Steve.

Took my morning walk to SM Mall today and checked out the used book store on the upper level of the mall.  They had mostly kids books, but the used paperbacks were worth the effort.  A lot of James Patterson books, a few in his Alex Cross series which I had read previously.  Alex Cross were about the only Patterson books I had read a few years ago, this tine I got Max from 2010, Never Never from 2016 written with Candice Fox, and The 6th Target from 2007.  The 6th Target is the 6th novel from his Womens Club Murder Mysteries series.  The total price was 615 pesos, less than $12, plus a 100 peso cab ride home.  Amazing that I bought 7 books that I want to read in Baguio.

Got a clarification today on the local license laws.  It appears that license plates ending in 1 or 2 are banned Monday's from 7 AM to 7 PM, while plates ending in 3 or 4 are banned on Tuesdays.  Our van's plate ends in 4, so they will not be coming to visit us on Tuesdays in the future.  5and 6 are banned Wednesday's, 7 and 8 on Thursdays and 9 and 0 on Fridays.  No weekend restrictions.

Also found out today at the cinema on the upper mall level there are 6 theatres, admission price is 350 pesos.  There is the usual 20% discount for all seniors, so 280 pesos is the discounted price.  However, if one is registered with a senior card in Baguio and has the required booklet, then one movie can be viewed every day for free.  Something to look forward to.

@mugteck

I did the same with my wife.  I was in Mindanao with her for 4 months and a month in Manila. She demonstrated the difference by me waiting out of site until she bartered. Then she would come back with me and when they saw me they tell in English if they had known she had an American the price would have been double.

As a specific instance, the rent would have been double. I also saw it in small stores. She would use Tagalo and shame them for trying to take advantage. And they would take the local price.

I found Davao to be more fair as I understood how the culture had some preconceived notions of wealth/Television.. . I am not sure truthfully. With her explaining that the could not take advantage and I understood what was taking place, it began much easy for me to barter.

We made a few nice purchases with a goldsmith and pearls. Good food, fresh fruit and clean air outside traffic areas. She had a 2 bedroom house built her lot on the family farm. She owns 2 others in the Philippines, she is shrewd and manages money very well.

Set a new record today, walked to the side entrance of the SM Mall in 25 minutes, good workout.  When I got to Harrison Road it was 41 steps up to the walkway but only 21 steps down the other side.  As I was passing CU I was wondering for whom was this road named? Taft Aveune retained its name after Philippines independence while a lot of other streets got their names changed.  Dewey Blvd became Rojas Blvd, a lot of the Spanish names changed to Filipino names.  Some streets named after US states also got Filipino names.

Did not know of anyone named Harrison in Philippines history.  The two US presidents named Harrison, William Henry and Ben, never had anything to do with the Philippines.   Bill got sick at his inaugural and died shortly there after in 1841.  Ben Harrison was the guy who beat Grover Cleveland and then lost to him fouhna! The Philippines loves adventure, perhaps it was named after Harrison Ford.

Turns out it was named after the US Governor General from 1913 to 1921 under Woodrow Wilson.  He was a former rep in the US House from NY.  Lived until 1957, was the only American official given Philippine citizenship.

Discard

Set a new record today, walked to the side entrance of the SM Mall in 25 minutes, good workout.  When I got to Harrison Road it was 41 steps up to the walkway but only 21 steps down the other side.  As I was passing CU I was wondering for whom was this road named? Taft Aveune retained its name after Philippines independence while a lot of other streets got their names changed.  Dewey Blvd became Rojas Blvd, a lot of the Spanish names changed to Filipino names.  Some streets named after US states also got Filipino names.           Did not know of anyone named Harrison in Philippines history.  The two US presidents named Harrison, William Henry and Ben, never had anything to do with the Philippines.   Bill got sick at his inaugural and died shortly there after in 1841.  Ben Harrison was the guy who beat Grover Cleveland and then lost to him fouhna! The Philippines loves adventure, perhaps it was named after Harrison Ford.               Turns out it was named after the US Governor General from 1913 to 1921 under Woodrow Wilson.  He was a former rep in the US House from NY.  Lived until 1957, was the only American official given Philippine citizenship.        -@mugteck

If you never read it, an excellent book to read about the US colonization is "In Our Image" by Stanley Karnow which describes in detail and sometimes comically the American attempt to make the Philippines American. The story is generally negative to the US but balanced with some positive points. I picked up the book shortly after marrying my Filipina wife in 1988. Anyway the historical figures you are wondering about are covered at length in that book that covers the 'period after 450 years of Spanish colonization' to "50 years of Ronald Reagan". McKinley was president when the USA purchased the Philippines but he was not overjoyed with the prospect and all he would be responsible for. The US culture at the time was still largely anti colonial having been a British colony. According to the book, when told of the decision McKinley exclaimed "Where in hell is the Philippines?!" after which aides had to point him the location on a map. He was not interested and did not follow the acquisition. Some US politicians became popular with Filipinos such as Taft who saw legislation through that took the land (most Philippine Territory) away from the Vatican as the Spanish had granted it and back to the people. Many Americans were opposed to the US owning a colony and worked to end the Commonwealth colonial relationship. If you ever run across that book it is a great read if you haven't read it already.