Retirement - Hobbies / Work

Hi All, again another topic just for interest's sake, as I guess most of us are retired here in PH, some rent, some own houses etc. What will be nice is to hear what people do every day with their free time.

In my case we are the only house at the entrance of the subdivision, so I personally maintain the surroundings, cut the grass, treat the weed, trim the trees, paint the wall and the gates, I even installed solar lights. for the gate.

Additional I love reading we have about 300 unread books in the house, I love sketching and try to do painting, I learning to play the electronic piano.

Then of course spent as much time as possible with my 2,5-year-old daughter, outside and inside, her to ride a bicycle, taking het to horse riding I know she is still small, but she loves being on a horse. We also try to keep a balance between TV and playing old fashioned games, or let her paint, play with water etc.

I am an old Harley biker, but here trying to keep low profiler just have an ordinary 150 cc bike, I take my daughter on some rides into the country, she loves it. We go as a family on the bike to the market etc.

Pretty much my life, we have no real fancy pub or night club to go to, there are some but difficult with the little one.

I have read so many cases where an expat comes here to retire, spent his life in a pub and spent on girls frequently, after a short period he is either dead or struggling because of the lifestyle. The key is to be content with the choice we made, and I am sure what we thought before how it is living here being here on some visits to be here permanently is quite different.

I still struggle with the tricycles on the road, not giving way, the way some people drive, so reckless and dangerous, the litter and garbage.

I have read so many cases where an expat comes here to retire, spent his life in a pub and spent on girls frequently, after a short period he is either dead or struggling because of the lifestyle.
    -@aklokow

Yes or they spend their days siting at veranda/balcony drinking alcohol. What a boooooring life...

I have so many hobbies so even before internet I counted even if 24/7 I wouldnt have time to do all as much as I wanted. (Some reduced now by I cant sport as before because of injury. Otherwice I believe I would play basketball still 70yo  :)  and sure tennis and table tennis. (I STARTED playing these at club level when I were close to 40. Didnt have time earlier, when I compeeted in e g football, handball, sailing, tracking field, canoe...)

Since before too e g play music instruments, read and write books, nature, movies, look at sports, genealogy, billiard...

So I tell people, who complain they dont have hobbies, I can give them some of mine:)

There are work with new businesses,

And I hope my injury recover enough to manage move enough to be basketball coach again. (Much easier if can show by moving.) But I suppouse no chance I can become a PLAYING coach again  huhu  :)

I have had no luck finding books I want to read out here in the provinces.  The bookstores are more like  school supply stores, with no current best selling fiction at all.  The history books available are things like TRUE PHILIPPINES GHOST STORIES. Glad I shipped 15 John Grisham paperbacks balikbayan last year from the states.  The furnished apartment we are staying in for 25,000 pesos a month in Baguio City includes wifi and big screen tv, but the available channels are not cable or satelite dish, but rather u tube and netflix  and such.  No live sports available.  In Santa for a thousand pesos a month I got two NBA games live every morning plus NFL live games every Tuesday, Friday and Monday morning. Nice cool mornings here in the mountains, would rather have live sports.

@mugteck

Got told some years ago about a second hand bookstore in Cebu city having books in English, but I dont remember where.

There are a lot of digital books. Some can be red at a common laptops just by open files. 10+ years ago I bought a package with MANY old classics.

I suppouse known some need special reading equipment as e g Kindle.  Swedish LIBRARIES have rather much for FREE. I have no idea if other countries have.

All my life I worked, no hobbies but didn't need. Here after retirement 4 years ago we walk down to the beach and throw a line in the water, sit there and simply chat while having a beer, reflection time? Never caught a thing but good for the soul, both of us. We shipped some 3/400 books from Oz and still boxed up, still seems a little like too busy or my priorities are wrong?

Bonus for me is after 30 years of brush cutting on the farm Ben does it all now and both of us are happy for a smaller lot instead of 50 acres. I do spend a lot of time monitoring and managing investments as well as on this and another site and always interesting to hear different opinions. Never too old to learn.

Would like to take up the keyboard again but can't justify, seem to be always busy, another waste of money. We stay busy with the workers but? 2/3 months when they are gone? Ah back to Europe.

Cheers, Steve.

@mugteck

I also enjoy NFL games on Mon, Tue & Fri mornings. I suspect you have "Premier Sports" channel. If so, they replay most of the games at 6 pm those days without the commercial breaks. Normally run about 2 hrs 15 mins.

Further, if you desire more games, check out https://nfl-video.com for all pro games, USFL, XFL and college. They also show the football "wrap up" shows. Enjoy!

Skip

Skip Scott said to mugteck. . . . I also enjoy NFL games on Mon, Tue & Fri mornings. I suspect you have "Premier Sports" channel. If so, they replay most of the games at 6 pm those days without the commercial breaks. Normally run about 2 hrs 15 mins.
Further, if you desire more games, check out https://nfl-video.com for all pro games, USFL, XFL and college. They also show the football "wrap up" shows. Enjoy!

I watch my favorite team (Pittsburgh Steelers) on youtube (TV), it's not live at game time, but within a few hours after the game. It's a synopsis of the game, it runs 10-12 minutes.

I watch other games in the division and some of the interesting match-ups outside the division. One nice thing about seeing it on youtube (TV) you can rewind plays of interest.

On some games after the first quarter I leap ahead till the end to see the score.

I want to watch the entire game, I get summaries and highlights, not the same.  Feels like reading Cliff Notes.

@bigpearl and Coach 53

I know the feeling of being busy 24/7 and no time for all the hobbies. But the good thing is as we are still healthy and fit now, we do the more physical things and slowly progress to the less physical, in my opinion, reason for me to have the electronic keyboard, painting, sketching, chess, Netflix etc.

As for sport, I have the same struggle as I love rugby and cricket which probably Steve can relate more. I am not really into NFL and baseball but that is just the upbringing and not exposed to those sports.

For me was a challenge during the rugby world cup which ended in October and South Africa won the world cup for a 4th time not being able to watch live and wait for it on YouTube like Bob is saying, probably some compromise but not the real feeling of watching live.

Arent there any live sport satelite chanel reachable from Phils too?

But nowadays satelite solution is less needed by more are available through internet if have fast enough such. E g

https://www.dazn.com/en-SE/l/nfl-game-pass/

All my life I worked, no hobbies
         -    @bigpearl

@bigpearl and Coach 53
I know the feeling of being busy 24/7 and no time for all the hobbies.

I have allways found ballance with hobbies very important back when I worked as hardest too.

(Much volontary work as sport leader, was mainly as hobby too. But I had other hobbies than sports back then too.)

But the good thing is as we are still healthy and fit now, we do the more physical things and slowly progress to the less physical, in my opinion, reason for me to have the electronic keyboard, painting, sketching, chess, Netflix etc.
As for sport, I have the same struggle as I love rugby and cricket which probably Steve can relate more. I am not really into NFL and baseball but that is just the upbringing and not exposed to those sports.
    -@aklokow

By you like chess, I suppouse you would like NFL if you make so you understand main rules, because its as

chess but with alive pieces, who dont allways do as told  :)

@aklokow

I do the cooking in our Household, which with walking to the Market, takes up almost half the Day.

To compliment the cooking I cure and smoke my own Ham. Make Jam, and Chutneys, Sour Cream. etc.

The rest of the time i spend reading, watching You Tube videos.

I try to go Snorkeling at least Twice a Week.

I enjoy Gardening, but struggle with the Heat.

I used to produce my own Coffee, which was very time consuming but a Typhoon has destroyed almost all my Bushes. The ones that were left I had to cut back drastically and they are not producing fruit yet.

@coach53 Kindle is my saviour. Many books at low price too eg Sherlock Holmes entire collection for cheap

Like most I went from 24/7 work to nothing at retirement, then moved to PH. Now I have social events, swimming every day (mostly), badminton, long walks, books, online gaming, and soon will have gardening, playing music, and probably relearning golf. In fact I created a bucket list of hobbies, most I wont get to but will find the ones I like

I am new... just retired 2 weeks ago... I love the scuba but that is only for a few days a month.  I am looking forward to having my own place, gardening and cooking what I can grow and get at the market.  I hope I will be lucky to have some board game players in my area then i will ship my collection over.

Learning the language is also a task i need to put more energy into.

Donald