Travel / Emmigration with DUI

hello, i cannot seem to find clear information on google, so i will ask here, and keep it short

I have a misdemeanor non enhanced DUI conviction (no wrecks, injuries, etc) in the USA from 7 years ago. will this impede my ability to travel to or emigrate to phillipines

thanks

Your dui will not stop you because it is not a crime of moral turpitude.

"The term “crimes involving moral turpitude” refers to categories of crimes that involve either

dishonesty, or a base, vile, or depraved conduct that is shocking to a reasonable person.

Some examples of crimes that are commonly deemed to involve moral turpitude include:

murder,

embezzlement,

burglary,

robbery,

perjury, and

aggravated assault."

@amk22

I don't believe it will be a problem (in my opinion only).   When you travel as a tourist to the PI they don't do a background  check and when you request a retirement visa, you are only required to get a local police clearance not a comprehensive background check.    I would go to my county sheriffs office, request a background check and see if the misdemeanor offense even comes up. 

hello, thanks for the answers above.

when traveling for the first time i would like to do it the right way, will there be any required disclosure of it. i want to be above board so it doesnt become a problem later. based on the reply, it will seem like i will be fine however.

some countries are very strict with it (CAD MX require 10 years wait time) plus if i "lie by omission" im sure i would get the boot, so i would want to avoid that. id rather just be told "NO" up front than get in trouble later. but seems like its not the case

thanks

I don't believe there will be any questions regarding past misdemeanors.   In fact when I got my SRRV-Retirement (military) visa there were no significant or general questions asked.  they just wanted evidence (documentation) of my income, military service and sheriffs police clearance.  Now if you are just traveling as a tourist and extending your tourist Visa, you have even less to worry about.  I encourage you to just be a tourist for a while and see if you even have any interest in the Philippines.  Don't retire with a really small budget and make sure you always have an emergency fund.   

Are you prior military?

Robert

I don't believe there will be any questions regarding past misdemeanors.   In fact when I got my SRRV-Retirement (military) visa there were no significant or general questions asked.  they just wanted evidence (documentation) of my income, military service and sheriffs police clearance.  Now if you are just traveling as a tourist and extending your tourist Visa, you have even less to worry about.  I encourage you to just be a tourist for a while and see if you even have any interest in the Philippines.  Don't retire with a really small budget and make sure you always have an emergency fund.   
Are you prior military?

Robert

-@Robertcounselor

no not prior military. just doing some research now. looking to, how do i say this, FLEE the USA, i feel like an enemy here in my own country... a few friends of mine are filipino, stateside, considering leaving too and had been poking me about it for a few years, someone advised vietnam also, so id been thinking about it for a while. so yes this was going to start out as tourism to see if it would be a good longterm fit. was about 4 years ago the first time it was mentioned and didnt seem feasbile then, but it seems like a good move now.

im 37, work for a brokerage. id also have to check to see if i could keep my job at a US firm and service US customers/advisors while abroad. id wager most firms would say no just as a matter of policy (i do not think FINRA/SEC rules prevent it, i know theres limited exemptions for CAD advisors servicing CAD customers in say, FL), probably based on local law and less on US law, but id also wager theres probably folks servicing expats, so that would cover income if i could keep the job. if not i think id have to build up a bigger bag first, im convinced this whole operation would take about 5 years or so to fully complete if i were to do it. also have a reasonable current NW even for the states at this age with zero debt, so financially i think i would be straight.

more research needed there, id say however.

A DUI should earn you a medal in the Philippines.

Everything isn't roses in the Philippines.  Working as a nomad will have its challenges.  Steady electricity and/or internet is something to consider.   This being said, I find more positive than negatives and embrace the culture.

Robert

amk22 wrote. . . .  I'm 37, work for a brokerage. id also have to check to see if i could keep my job at a US firm and service US customers/advisors while abroad. id wager most firms would say no just as a matter of policy (i do not think FINRA/SEC rules prevent it, i know theres limited exemptions for CAD advisors servicing CAD customers in say, FL), probably based on local law and less on US law, but id also wager theres probably folks servicing expats, so that would cover income if i could keep the job. if not i think id have to build up a bigger bag first, im convinced this whole operation would take about 5 years or so to fully complete if i were to do it. also have a reasonable current NW even for the states at this age with zero debt, so financially i think i would be straight.

more research needed there, id say however.

You are 30 years shy of collecting SS, by then it could be longer as SS eligibility changes. Even if your employer allows you to keep the job if and when you move to the Philippines.

Nothing lasts forever including your job.