Existing MEU3 holders and biometric cards

Received this today ... from immigration dept

As I have explained on my previous email , you have the right to obtain the new document for the Beneficiaries of the withdrawal agreement MUKW3 valid for 10 years  . Although is not mandatory to obtain it , it  is for your own benefit to have it issued ,  as there are new processes ongoing  at the entry exit borders after 2025, which will make it more difficult the entry if you don't have a valid residence permit  .

Thanks in advance

Elena Hadjigeorgiou

Administrative Officer

Civil Registry and Migration Department

90 Arch. Makariou III aven. , 1077 Nicosia

So the question now is .. is it CyGov intention to render existing MEU3 residency permits (yellow slips) invalid by 2025/2026..

Or simply make things awkward for those who have in their possession  the correct paperwork but have not taken the plastic biometric cards....

Further from immigration dept .... in response to my question as to whether the existing paper MEU3 yellow slip could be rendered invalid 2025/2026

"The MEU3 can be issued in Cyprus as means of proof of your right to stay . This document cannot be used to travel in the Schengen area"

Which then begs a further question (as the answer seems to suggest the biometric residency permit could be used for travel) ...is the biometric card sufficient for travel in Schengen...... . I doubt it as it's simply a residency document same as the old MEU3.... and cannot be used for travelling entry and exit so passport still required ..where as a National ID card can be used for travel in Schengen without a passport....  these are not ID cards

Further that it is imo highly unlikely that Cyprus will ever enter Schengen until such time as CyProb is resolved