Can a Dominican with a US 10 year visitors visa go to Chile ?

While searching on line, i see that the answer to the question seems to be yes.  A 10 year US visitor's visa is sufficient for a Dominican citizen to fly to Chile and visit Chile.   

However, when speaking to the Chilean embassy in NY City, they said it was not good enough.

The Chilean Embassy in the DR said it was good enough. 

Both embassies are terrible about answering their phones.  Nobody wants to work any more.

Has anyone actually done this? 

Pardon my ignorance, but what does a US visitors visa have to do with going to Chile?

That's what I was thinking? I'm missing the connection?

That's what I was thinking? I'm missing the connection?        -@colmcb

1) There are a great number of countries that a Dominican cannot visit without applying for a visa for that specific country. 

2) There are a number of countries where a Dominican does not need to get a visa specifically for that country if they already have a US visitors visa (or a Schengen visa). Chile is likely to be one of those countries.

3) Conflicting information has been provided by the Internet and the Chilean embassies in the USA and the DR. 

The Internet and Chilean embassy in the DR have said that a US visitor's visa is sufficient for a Dominican citizen to visit Chile. One of the Chilean embassies said no, it is not sufficient.  That is why I asked if any Dominican has actually used their US visitors visa to visit Chile. 

Is my question and the reason for it clear now?

Some further explanation: It is hard for Dominicans to get many visitors' visas because they tend to stay in that country and not ever return home.

Once a Dominican has a "Gold or Platinum" level visitor's visa , like on for the USA or EU, then some countries allow Dominicans to visit just using that visa.  Chile is probably one of those countries.

Yes, makes sense now. :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ … c_citizens

For example with respect to Dominicans:

Chile    Visa required   

Visa not required for max. stay of 90 days for holders of a valid visa issued by USA.

Got it! I assumed there was a reason that I just wasn't aware of. Thanks for the explanation.