International student studying in SA

Hi!

I wanted to apply to a PgDip in South Africa as UK student.

I've looked at a few different unis and they have stated that I need a NFQ level 7 degree to apply, which is a Post graduate equivalent in the UK.

I was wondering if anyone had experience of applying to Post grad courses in SA and what it was like and how easy it is as an international student?

Thanks!

Hii Lizzyje,

What you need to do in the first instant is to make your application to which ever university that you would like to join.  Once they admit you, they will require you to send your certificates to SAQA which is the qualification authority that verifies you certificates and also determines if your prior qualification meets the SA requirements for that course, however depending which university you got your first degree they might exempt you from the SAQA process.  My first degree was from London School of Economic so I was exempted from the SAQA process both at Masters and PHD level so the UK qualifications from well known universities tend to be exempted but I think it also depend on the course and the institution you are targeting.  Have been a student both in the UK and SA , I think student life is just student life everywhere.  So its just what you as an individual will want to make of it.  However , Cape Town is a nicer student city than Johannesburg or Pretoria but its also all about personal preference and sometimes the course you are targeting might only be in one University and not the other.  Good Luck.  All the best

Akinyi