Studying in South Africa

Hello everyone,

Would you recommend studying abroad in South Africa?

Every year, 4 million young people from all over the world choose to study abroad for one semester or a full academic year. Would you encourage them to come and study in South Africa?

In your opinion, what are the most prestigious colleges and universities in the country/area? Are these free of charge? If not, are tuition fees expensive? Are there many foreign students enrolled in these schools/colleges/universities? What is the main language of instruction at the university?

Thank you in advance for sharing!
Priscilla

Sout africachave good quality universities education system is good  english is the language for study and speak

Yes South Africa has very good Universities and they do have international students. Google top SA universities and you will find all the information you need including admission requirements  for international students including closing dates for applications and the procedure, tuition fees for international students, accomodation and much more. Look at University of Cape Town UCT , University of Kwa Zulu Natal UKZN, Stellenbosch , WITS, UJ  and much much more.

I would most definitely recommend it. South Africa is a beautiful country with wonderful people, and the quality of its education is excellent. Even given the recent protests at many of its universities, I would still consider it a great educational opportunity to study there for a semester or year abroad.

Some of the bigger name universities are University of the Witwatersrand (Wits) in Johannesburg and University of Cape Town (UCT), both with English language instruction. Both have good reputations, though UCT might be more popular due to its beautiful setting. There are also the University of Stellenbosch and the University of Pretoria (Tuks or Tukkies), which offer both English and Afrikaans language instruction.

All these universities are comparatively cheap, given the high price in particular of most American universities of similar quality. I haven't looked up their prices, but from friends know that tuition is the equivalent of $350 per semester, or something of that magnitude. Definitely affordable. Housing is typically off-campus and you'd find it on your own, but there might be dorms set aside for foreign exchange students. 

Even if you weren't able to transfer all your credits to your university back home (which typically you can), I'd say it's worth going to South Africa, purely for the experience and the many sightseeing and travel options you'll have while there.

Good luck!

I'm international student from Indonesia, and doing my Postgraduate studies at North-West University in Potchefstroom (PUK/PUKKE). From my experience, South African University also have good quality, both in Academic and non-Academic. A lot of International students here, most of them came from African Countries, and Asian countries (India, China, Korea). And some from America and Europe. English and Afrikaan are language that we used usually in class. Interpretation service are available in the class which Afrikaans is the main language. PUKKE is one of the best univ in African continent. So, if you want to study here in SA, I say "you are welcome!"

Studying is the best option an individual can opt for in life.What I think is important is that a person should study where his/ her contents of studies are preserved.South Africa is one of such a nation if we are to compare it with many other African countries and even some European nations. The main luanguge of instruction is English,thus makes it neutral for many students coming from different nations,even abroad.The best university in my opinion is the University of Pretoria.This is because it is said experience is the best teacher and you can only find that experience in age. Wish to hear from others....