Border Run to Cambodia

Greetings,

For a border run to Cambodia, do I need a visa to enter, or can I just pop in and out?

Roger

Moderated by Bhavna 9 months ago
Reason : Not helpful
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Greetings,
For a border run to Cambodia, do I need a visa to enter, or can I just pop in and out?

Roger
-@RTLisSB

There was a thread on this topic not too long ago. See link below:

"not enter Cambodia and just turn around and reenter Vietnam?"

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1033009

The short answer is you need a visa to enter Cambodia, which, in my experience you can get at the border, but maybe you can also apply online these days???

I believe that it costs $30???

After entering Cambodia, you can just turn around and re-enter VN, or you used to be able to do so.

Greetings,

Roger
-@RTLisSB

There was a thread on this topic not too long ago. See link below:

"not enter Cambodia and just turn around and reenter Vietnam?"

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1033009

The short answer is you need a visa to enter Cambodia, which, in my experience you can get at the border, but maybe you can also apply online these days???
I believe that it costs $30???

After entering Cambodia, you can just turn around and re-enter VN, or you used to be able to do so.
-@jayrozzetti23

You can apply online, but not many people report doing so.

Visa on Arrival (at least at Mộc Bài) is a pretty simple process, especially early in the morning when lines are short.

GoodOlBoy has very recent experience, though he is making it very easy by using a trusted visa agent for transportation and processing assistance.

Greetings,

Roger
-@RTLisSB

Hi Roger. As jayrozzetti23 stated, yes, you'll need a visa. You can get a VOA at any VN/Cam border (Visa On Arrival) for $30USD.

With the VOA, you are supposed to stay 24 hours, so if you want to turn around and come straight back in to VN a small "donation" might be asked of you (100-200K VND).

The online eVisa to Cambodia can be used to enter from Vietnam/Cambodia land border only at Moc Bai (VN)/Bavet (Cam).

See here for eVisa valid checkpoints. Further eVisa info available here.

Hope this helps.

Greetings,

Roger
-@RTLisSB
Hi Roger. As jayrozzetti23 stated, yes, you'll need a visa. You can get a VOA at any VN/Cam border (Visa On Arrival) for $30USD.
With the VOA, you are supposed to stay 24 hours, so if you want to turn around and come straight back in to VN a small "donation" might be asked of you (100-200K VND).
The online eVisa to Cambodia can be used to enter from Vietnam/Cambodia land border only at Moc Bai (VN)/Bavet (Cam).
See here for eVisa valid checkpoints. Further eVisa info available here.

Hope this helps.
-@Aidan in HCMC

There are actually two different 30-day visas available on arrival at the border with Cambodia: the 30-day tourist visa and the 30-day "normal" Visa.

The "normal" Visa costs $5 more than the tourist visa.

I've actually had reason to use both for Visa runs in and out of Cambodia at Mộc Bài.

No one ever mentioned anything about a requirement to remain there 24 hours.

I have no doubt that a border official has said that to someone, and it makes sense that would be a ploy to gain extra coffee money.

I do remember hearing that the Cambodian staff at the Hà Tiên/Prek Chak crossing (nearest to you in Phú Quốc) have previously been very difficult people in their dealings with foreigners.

I'm hoping that your informed observation is simply a local scam and not something that all Cambodian border security personnel are running.

I'm hoping that your informed observation is simply a local scam and not something that all Cambodian border security personnel are running.
-@OceanBeach92107

A purely anecdotal observation

@jayrozzetti23 Thanks for the link!

I will say that doing a VISA run (actually spending a couple of days or weeks in the other country) has always been a much more rewarding and refreshing experience for me compared to doing a mere BORDER run and coming back immediately.

Greetings,

Roger
-@RTLisSB

Here's a recent thread on doing a border run to Cambodia (Link to Cambodia forum)

I will say that doing a VISA run (actually spending a couple of days or weeks in the other country) has always been a much more rewarding and refreshing experience for me compared to doing a mere BORDER run and coming back immediately.
-@jayrozzetti23

Exactly!

In the Hội An/Đà Nẵng area, many foreigners are opting for a flight to Thailand.

"IF" I still needed to do a "run for the border"* I would definitely opt for turning the time into a vacation or exploration.

Even when we were doing the Vũng Tàu to Mộc Bài run, we really enjoyed doing an overnight in Sài Gòn.

I was once accused of being insensitive to those living on the edge here; without enough money to afford anything but the cheapest possible option (and even then, truly needing to scrimp in order to accomplish what was a burdensome trip for them).

I do hope that the casual reader considering living here long term will only do so if they have the financial wherewithal to accomplish their trips without putting themselves in serious financial jeopardy.

*TB

Moderated by Bhavna 8 months ago
Reason : Incorrect
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

-@Nz0

That is TOTALLY incorrect.

-@Nz0

Not only is this incorrect but it's really irritating and irresponsible when people drop these 💩💩 without any justification or clarification.

This worst kind of troll post.

If you are going to be engaged in this forum, please act responsibly.

My last border run a couple of weeks ago was a round robin. I did spend about an hour relaxing though at the Coffee Joint just outside the inbound Cambodian immigration office. Decided I was going to relax and have a frappe. No coffee money anywhere. And in Moc Bai I found a nice place to stop for ca phe sua da va banh mi op la before continuing my sojourn back to Saigon. I got an e Visa from the Cambodian evisa site for 36 us.   Oh yeah I did it on motorbike. Drove the motorbike through the whole thing.

@OceanBeach92107 regarding the lunch money - 100k is lunch not coffee LOL.

I cant comment on the 24-hr rule .  However, a few times what ran into at the vn entry point was a long line that was clearly not moving.  There were 2 viet border zombies standing at elevated podiums.  Zombie #1 sat there staring at the great unknown.  zombie #2 had a line of 20-30 people just standing there like a scene of the condemed.  I approached Zombie #1 and showed him my passport which startled him into a fit of raging jazz hands. I then placed the aforementioned lunch money in in my paSport and handed it again to him. In less than 30 seconds it was stamped and I was on my way.

@mitsmaak.  My last few trips there I wasn't paying any coffee money to anybody.

My last border run a couple of weeks ago was a round robin. I did spend about an hour relaxing though at the Coffee Joint just outside the inbound Cambodian immigration office. Decided I was going to relax and have a frappe. No coffee money anywhere. And in Moc Bai I found a nice place to stop for ca phe sua da va banh mi op la before continuing my sojourn back to Saigon. I got an e Visa from the Cambodian evisa site for 36 us.   Oh yeah I did it on motorbike. Drove the motorbike through the whole thing.

-@def1412

You mean you pushed it through VN customs? 😂

Greetings,For a border run to Cambodia, do I need a visa to enter, or can I just pop in and out?Roger -@RTLisSBHi Roger. As jayrozzetti23 stated, yes, you'll need a visa. You can get a VOA at any VN/Cam border (Visa On Arrival) for $30USD.With the VOA, you are supposed to stay 24 hours, so if you want to turn around and come straight back in to VN a small "donation" might be asked of you (100-200K VND).The online eVisa to Cambodia can be used to enter from Vietnam/Cambodia land border only at Moc Bai (VN)/Bavet (Cam).See here for eVisa valid checkpoints. Further eVisa info available here.Hope this helps. -@Aidan in HCMCThere are actually two different 30-day visas available on arrival at the border with Cambodia: the 30-day tourist visa and the 30-day "normal" Visa.The "normal" Visa costs $5 more than the tourist visa.I've actually had reason to use both for Visa runs in and out of Cambodia at Mộc Bài. No one ever mentioned anything about a requirement to remain there 24 hours. I have no doubt that a border official has said that to someone, and it makes sense that would be a ploy to gain extra coffee money. I do remember hearing that the Cambodian staff at the Hà Tiên/Prek Chak crossing (nearest to you in Phú Quốc) have previously been very difficult people in their dealings with foreigners.I'm hoping that your informed observation is simply a local scam and not something that all Cambodian border security personnel are running.        -@OceanBeach92107

Prek Chak dudes can be bit difficult (coffee money), either you pay tourist  evisa 36 USD or 30 in person plus 5 USD in coffee money. I had motorbike not registered in my name so theoretically and practically he could bone me and distrupt my trip. We settled on 100K VND since they do not discriminate,  they have nothing against VND currency.

@narcrepellant2525

No I mean I drove it through to VN immigration, came out of that building and drove it to Thai immigration, came out of that building and drove it to the little coffee stand at Thai immigration.   Drank the frappe, ate some cake, drove around to outbound Thai immigration, did that.  Drove to Vietnamese inbound immigration. Did that drove back to Sai Gon.  Didn't walk the bike anywhere....it has this motor.......

No I mean I drove it through to VN immigration, came out of that building and drove it to Thai immigration, came out of that building and drove it to the little coffee stand at Thai immigration.   Drank the frappe, ate some cake, drove around to outbound Thai immigration, did that.  Drove to Vietnamese inbound immigration. Did that drove back to Sai Gon.  Didn't walk the bike anywhere....it has this motor.......
  -@def1412

From reports I've read/heard, you were privileged. Usually one has to walk their bike through the "no man's land" parcel separating each country's immigration office.

Hmm  between VN and Cambodia you can ride it as far as I remember (Ha Tien and Moc Bai) , but when you reach first barrier of VN border crossing better push it until you finish passport control and exit 2nd barrier)  or you will be warned to do that by the officer on duty .  After you exit VN towards Cambodia you can ride it slowly straight to passport control building, but watch also for officials on their  barrier and have eye contact with them. Ask them in any case  for permission if you can continue. Behave respectfully. Never loose your temper even when it is clearly that on Cambodia side some official wants coffee money. Be patient. You want whole thing to run smoothly. Ha Tien closes 6 PM.

@def1412 Cambodia has Thigh immigration? LOL!

It's just typo, relax man 😂

@narcrepellant2525

LIke I mentioned I ride all the way through.   Don't eye the officials, just go through like I belong there.  Not a problem.

In the saga of driving to Moc Bai, planning another trip to the border in a week or so.  This time I will push on to Svay Reing and then Phnom Penh for a couple of days and then return.  Thinking I will over night in SR and make the second day to PP.  I like Cambodia, but so many different denominations of currency...makes me crazy after VN.  LOL.

-@def1412

There's a Thai/VN border crossing?

He just mistyped it..it happens