Adapting to the pace of life in the Philippines

Hello everyone,

When you move to the Philippines, you may find that the pace of life is different from what you're used to. Shop opening times, working hours, sleep cycles and variations in sunlight can all have an effect on your life in the Philippines as an expat and require time to adapt. This transition can be a source of surprises, adjustments and sometimes even frustration for those trying to find their balance in this new environment.

Here are a few questions to help you better understand how you manage your days in the Philippines :

How have you managed to harmonise your own pace of life with the pace of life in the Philippines?

Have you felt a change in your biological rhythm (diet, sleep, energy, etc.)? How can you minimise the effects on your well-being and adapt to changes in your circadian rhythm?

How have you adjusted your sleeping habits to optimise your energy and concentration in a different environment?

Shopping, meal and activity times can differ from one culture to another. How do you manage to reconcile your personal habits with those of life in the Philippines? What are the benefits and challenges of these adjustments?

How do different working hours affect your productivity and quality of life? What have you done to maintain a work-life balance despite these changes?

Please feel free to share your experiences and advice on this topic.
Thank you for your contribution.

Cheryl
Expat.com Team

Hi, Cheryl. Good questions. For me, the time change hasn't been much of a challenge since I did A LOT of international traveling in my career. Our biggest concern was the climate change, but we lived in Florida for the 5 years prior to moving to the Philippines, and that made a huge positive impact on our ability to adapt here. During my visits through the years I noticed that there is a distinct household rhythm that goes on throughout the day: cook, eat, clean, repeat. But I go on my own schedule, usually eating breakfast late and dinner early.

@Cheryl

Hi Cheryl after one year I still struggle with the pace, and behaviour of people. Just a few points without making it too long, driving and the behaviour of drivers, sometimes shocking as they overtake in the most dangerous places. I still cannot handle the tricycles drivig at 20 -25 kph and not giving way to cars, as if they own the road, also in town the way they behave simply in my world not acceptable but I need to find a way to accept.

Talking about roads, streets and behaviour, what really gets me going is litter, everyone just throws it on the street, out the car window etc and mostly plastic, super disgusting.

Everyting revolves around eating, when you visit you eat does not matter the time of day, when we prepare meals always be ready for family to stop by and they will eat.  The diet that is followed is also challenging, salty, sweet, overcooked, too much soy sauce, oyster sauce, the food has not great taste, but that is my perspective.

Another thing is maintenance, nobody believes in maintenance, their places just gets run down, rust, broken concrete, algae, paint pealing etc, as if nobody cares. When I ask people they say that is how it is then at some point we will break it down and built again, dont get the logic.

Fresh meat at the market, not the most attractive meat market with the hygiene but have not had a bad experience with meat. Just the way they cut it is not great or what I am used to I must add. Wheteher it is pork chops, pork ribs, pork fillet etc, never the beef ot get a nice steak or fillet, forget it. chicken is chicken not much to say about that.

Sleeping patterns, sometimes a challenge as some group of people are doing karaoke untill the morning and the bad part is having drunk people (men and women) trying to sing as loud as they can 1f615.svg

Otherwise beng retired thought i will have a lot of spare time but the house and surroundings keeps me very busy, and I must add I am enjoying it, having good excercise, planting some veggies, flowers etc.

Overall people are very friendly and polite, have no trouble at all, equally is to extend the same politeness and respect to them.

To close I understand coming from the first world that here it is not the same, tricycles are an essential part of life, people live day to day, no planning for the month or week, due to various reasons. People got into a bad habit of the so called Filipino time, any event on the invite mentions a start time that is one hour earlier than the real starting time, that is frustrating as i am never late for an appointment and to sit around for one hour is not fun.

Anyway Mabuhay Philippines, we can always complain, maybe we should or rather I should start influencing change however small it might be, instead of seeing the negative or frustrating parts..

It's really interesting how I've adapted to the change in climate from Los Angeles. In LA, when it got above 72° in my home office, I turned on the AC. Here, I'm comfortable at 81°-83°, wearing shorts and no shirt. I feel chilly when it gets below around 75°. Yes, I use AC, and I crank it down to 76° to sleep (under a blanket). But when I go to a place where the AC is turned up, I have to wear long pants and a sweatshirt to be comfortable. I sweat easily, like at the gym, but it only starts to bother me when I have to be outside in the 90°+ heat for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

As far as the pace of life here, I understand that waiting is often necessary, so I bring a book. I'm actually amazed at how patient I am, given the "unreasonable" delays and incompetence.

Driving is a lot of fun for me here. I'm an aggressive driver, so I blend in naturally. Being very competitive, I get my adrenaline rush from driving, but I am very conscious of safety. I'm in a car, so I don't have the maneuverability of those mosquitos on motorcycles always buzzing around me, and I'm willing to be polite and let the occasional driver (and most pedestrians--CA habit) have right of way.

I have business relationships in the US, and communicate with friends there, so the time difference is a problem. That's probably the worst aspect of my relocation, so I'm pretty happy overall.

I have found when we take a bus for long distance travel on Luzon I must wear a jacket and long pants.  The air con is turned way up, and the bus people tell me they cannot change the setting, company policy.  I also get a lot of reading done on most shopping trips we take locally, lot of waiting involved.  Can also remember when we were in Bagiou and it was 70F and I was feeling good in shorts and a t-shirt, while family members from the lowlands were wearing jackets, wondering what was wrong with me.

I have found when we take a bus for long distance travel on Luzon I must wear a jacket and long pants. The air con is turned way up, and the bus people tell me they cannot change the setting, company policy. I also get a lot of reading done on most shopping trips we take locally, lot of waiting involved. Can also remember when we were in Bagiou and it was 70F and I was feeling good in shorts and a t-shirt, while family members from the lowlands were wearing jackets, wondering what was wrong with me.
-@mugteck

Is it easy to get hold of good books over there in English. I like the crime thrillers. David Baldacci is my current read.

I have found when we take a bus for long distance travel on Luzon I must wear a jacket and long pants. The air con is turned way up, and the bus people tell me they cannot change the setting, company policy. I also get a lot of reading done on most shopping trips we take locally, lot of waiting involved. Can also remember when we were in Bagiou and it was 70F and I was feeling good in shorts and a t-shirt, while family members from the lowlands were wearing jackets, wondering what was wrong with me.
-@mugteck
Is it easy to get hold of good books over there in English. I like the crime thrillers. David Baldacci is my current read.
-@Cherryann01

Not easy, I bring my own.  Just got the latest Memory Man book in the mail yesterday, Long Shadows, will be bringing it with me in October when we return for 6 months.  The bookstores around Vigan only have a few current books, very difficult to back order any books.  Never got a Baldacci book in the Philippines. I never tried to have any books shipped to the Philippines  from Barnes and Noble, I usually load up a Balikbayan box a few months before we go and have the books waiting for me.  I already have 12 John Grisham paperbacks waiting for me.