Visa strategies longer term questions

I keep seeing 3 yrs is the length of stay through visa renewals. But then today I saw mention of only two 6 month visas being allowed?

Technically I've only been here since March as we took a trip to Thailand. But I started my retirement with my gal here in November. Obviously we'll use the March arrival date from our trip abroad.

So I got 1 30 day extension in March, then a 2 month extension. Then I got a 6 month extension visa, expires in November.

What will I get in November? We live 2.5 hours from the BI office in Lapu Lapu. I don't mind going to the city. But at the same time, I don't want to be forced to have to go often. However, I do want to stay within the rules and regs.

Very valid questions Larry. It was probably me that mentioned the 6 month thingy recently.

My understanding from my readings and asking immi many moons ago was as follows: As a visitor you can stay for up to 36 months then have to leave, then you can return and start again.

During that 36 month period I was told and read that I was only allowed to apply for 2 x 6 month extensions through that 36 month period, all other extensions monthly or bi monthly. (perhaps that's to keep the staff busy?)

Only certain offices can issue 6 month extensions. My local office in San Fernando La Union can't so every 2 months it's a haircut, shopping and a restaurant, out for the day even though our local office is only 35/40 minutes away we fill the day in doing other stuff. 

Next time you extend your visa ask your immi staff the rules for visa extensions and times.

Cheers, Steve.

Thanks Steve. Well next time I go to Lapu Lapu immi (End of Oct) I'll ask for the details before deciding which to get.

BTW, Since I'm on my 1st year ARC, I understand that January is renewal time ?  What's involved in that? When I went to Robinsons Cebu new immi office to apply for mine I saw lots of expats with big envelopes of papers doing annual renewals. They made it appear more daunting than the original.

Hey Larry.

Are you on a visitor visa? I assume you are or you wouldn't be heading to the immi office frequently.

13a is different.

I'm on my 4th ACR1 card, once I did the initial paperwork it's easy after that. I rocked up in Manila the day they locked it down, 15th March and we fled back to our home in La Union and I retired, told Ben before i got back to stock up on plenty of food which he did, months and months worth.

Back on track when IMMI reopened 4 months later I renewed my visa and automatically the ACR1 card, been the same ever since so my next renewal is 16th of August for the 2 month extension as well as the ACR1, I always rock up 10 to 14 days earlier and never a problem.

Perhaps you are mixing up the annual reporting for 13a visa holders which is Jan/Feb every year aa against the mandatory ACR1 renewal that is based on your arrival date.

Cheers, Steve.

3 years is the maximum for normal visa but if married to a philipino get a 13a provisional visa ASAP and then, as the visa is valid for a year only, apply for a 13a perminant visa before the provisional runs out

Larry Fisher said. . . Well next time I go to Lapu Lapu immi (End of Oct) I'll ask for the details before deciding which to get. BTW, Since I'm on my 1st year ARC, I understand that January is renewal time ? What's involved in that?

The ACR-1 Temporary Card is good for one year, then it can turn into the 13A by filing the proper paperwork. The 13A is the one that requires a report each January, mainly by paying a small fee. My stepson did the reporting for me and now as I understand it, you can do it by email.

@bigpearl Yes I am on the visitors visa. We haven't gotten married yet. I'm waiting on some things in the states still.

I think you're probably correct, I'm confusing with 13a annual report.

I just looked at my ACR and it expires in Jan. One year from issuance, and does say Tourist.

Don't worry Larry they will have their hand out for your 50 US bucks as well as the proverbial express lane fee, still a cheap visa option.

Cheers, Steve.

@Larry Fisher if your over 63 and have been in the military. You can apply for retirement visa. Then you get a resident card and it's only 10 dollars a year with vist to immigration once every 2 or three years. Married or not. Much cheaper that way and less hassle. Also being able to buy property in your name only. With a few other papers drawn up by a lawyer. Watch the lawyer though, there the ones that will try too stick it to you. Good luck Be safe be happy. Works for me!!

Sorry to disagree but no matter the SRRV status or married with a 13a foreigners cannot own land here, a condo yes and bend over but not the land. The law simply states you need to be a Philippine national to purchase land here. As a simple visitor here I can buy a condo or as I did take out a 25 + 25 year lease. Own the buildings and improvements etc. etc. but never the land/title unless you are lucky enough to purchase a property with a title prior to 1935,,,, maybe 1939, ailing memory, but must be past down, hereditary.

Plenty of posts on owning property here rlmcar55. Not going to happen.

I also wonder where you found "over 63" on the PRA website, age has nothing to do with their requirements for that visa class.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve

Just out of interest, does anybody know why all the immigration offices cannot give the 6 month visa extension? Seems weird to me that this is not uniform throughout the country and I would have though, with the new bill being passed that they would have brought everything into line in that regard.

We are talking currently Cherry, We don't make the rules just abide by them. is it any different to bringing your last visa receipt? We are all on/in the system,,,,, doh I forgot the system in banks and immi are not reliable.

Ban can't even get 20 peso notes or coins from our bank even if he orders them 3 days earlier,,,,, we don't have sir,,,,,, come on your a frigging bank.

This is the Philippines Cherry and little here makes sense.

Cheers, Steve.

We are talking currently Cherry, We don't make the rules just abide by them. is it any different to bringing your last visa receipt? We are all on/in the system,,,,, doh I forgot the system in banks and immi are not reliable.
Ban can't even get 20 peso notes or coins from our bank even if he orders them 3 days earlier,,,,, we don't have sir,,,,,, come on your a frigging bank.
This is the Philippines Cherry and little here makes sense.

Cheers, Steve.
-@bigpearl

Seems that the Philippines is 40 years behind with no great desire to catch up to other more streamlined systems in other countries.

In many ways yes but we balance the bad cr@p with the positives, trade off but the benefits outweigh the negatives, we all make choices.

Cheers, Steve.

I went to Tacloban City today to pick up my NBI clearance and I also went to the Bureau of Immigration for a visa extension. I checked the "6 month" box on the form not knowing if it would be accepted since it would be my 3rd 6 month extension in a row. The guy questioned me and I told him I may only need 2 months since I was close to sending in my paperwork for the SRRV visa. He gave it a thought and agreed to give me 6 months so in my situation three 6 month extensions in row happened.

Yesterday I went to Naval, Biliran to finalize my physical. I was told it was a breeze in Makati but since I'm in the province I had to do it all. Urine, stool, blood and chest x-ray. The nurse gave me a container for the stool sample a couple days prior. I pooped in a bag then took it to my shop to transfer a small amount to the container. I then threw the bag in the incinerator and told the wife I would burn it later. She said "burn it now!" so I did. She then asked what I did with the white stool sample container. I told her it was in the frig and not to disturb it. She really lost it. Filipinos have some sort of poop phobia. She was going to throw away everything in the frig until I told her I was joking, it was double bagged and in the console of the Fortuner. She didn't like that much better.

@Larry Fisher You mentioned going to BOI in Lapu-Lapu, and now going to BOI at Robinsons Galleria. The Lapu-Lapu office can take care of everything in less than 30 minutes. I just came back from there on July 19th to pick up my 3rd time renewed ACR-I Card and renew my Tourist Visa for 6 months. Last time that I went to Robinsons early 2023, it took me FIVE Hours just to get a 2 month VISA extension - Never Again. Do note that there is an Updated Visa Renewal Form effective February 6, 2023 which is available on the BOI Website, and Lapu-Lapu wants the new one to be used. I always fill mine out before going, which seems to blow the minds of the entry Security Guards.

@talamban Last time I went to Robinsons was only to pick up my ARC card. Took 30 minutes just to pick it up. But that same day I went to Lapu-Lapu and got a 2 month extension and was in/out in 15 mins. After the two month I went to Lapu-Lapu for my 6 month and again was in/out in 15 mins. That's the only place to go in my opinion.