25+ year old Misdemeanor and SRRV

Hello all,

As the topic briefly states, I had a misdemeanor for theft back in 1997. It was a stupid misunderstanding that I plead guilty to because I was afraid that since I had just arrived in the state,  they would consider me a flight risk and lock me up for months. My laptop modem got mixed up with theirs and they found one of theirs in my laptop. Totally a stupid mistake.

Anyway, that is the ONLY thing on my record.  Honorably discharged from the USN, held a concealed weapons permit in Oregon since 1993 (the misdemeanor never affected my permit even with renewal every 5 years and full background check each time). I'm a good man, I follow “the rules”, I was just working for the wrong jerk at the wrong time.

I have a passport and have traveled extensively since then.

Finally, my question is, would that stupid little misdemeanor prevent me from getting the SRRV ? Or is there another way around things?

thank you, I appreciate any and all help.

Doc

Where are you located?

My SRRV visa agent is the former head of PRA here in Cebu-City, so he would be best to answer your question.

@GoetzPhil

thanks for the reply. I'm currently still stateside. Looking to get an answer to this before I go wasting any time and money into this plan if this will stop me. It's not a heinous crime, or a crime of moral turpitude, so I would honestly be surprised if it did. I'm just the type guy that needs to know.

I have had a couple messages with the folks at JRC but they keep sidestepping my question and that concerns me that they just want my money.

Not paranoid, just careful

thanks again

DocTony said. . . .

It was a stupid misunderstanding that I plead guilty to . . . . . . . . . . . My laptop modem got mixed up with theirs and they found one of theirs in my laptop. Totally a stupid mistake. 

Hmm. . . . .Very Interesting.

(1) How did your laptop modem get mixed up with theirs?

(2) Who is "theirs"?

(3) So you didn't know the difference between your modem and theirs?

(4) Was this a plea bargain down to a misdemeanor from a more serious charge, if you plead guilty?

@DocTony

Welcome to the forum.

I'm in the process of obtaining a SRRV visa and I'm not required to have a background check or police report from my home country. I only need the NBI clearance which should ready for pickup today. I have been in the Philippines longer than 6 months so that may have something to do with it. Talk to a PRA agent.

@Enzyte Bob

“Hmmmmm……very interesting”

nothing that interesting Bob.

not sure why the details of the crime matter. I can't say I appreciate the feeling you are trying to make it something more than it was, or implying that I'm lying about the situation, especially since you don't know me from Adam.

I worked for a company as a contract IT guy. I won't name the company because it really is none of your business.

we used the same brand of modem cards. Mine was actually found in the company box of modems but the supervisor still wanted to press charges because his card was in my laptop. He was a narcissistic prick that didn't want to hire contractors because he wanted his father in law to have the job.

it was never anything more than a misdemeanor, there was no plea bargain, and if there had been, it's nobody's business, because it was handed down as a misdemeanor conviction.

thanks for making me feel like this isn't someplace I can come and get information. Instead I feel like anything I say will be over analyzed and people will be wanting more personal information than they need when it's none of their damn business beyond what I offered, which was fact.

DocTony said <big snip> "not. . . . . . . fact" <end of big snip>

(1) You accidentally used the supervisors modem card in your laptop thinking that it was yours.

(2) The supervisor also didn't like to hire contractors but you were hired.

(3) He wanted his father in law to have the job you were hired for.

(4) Then this supervisor pressed charges because his modem card was found in your laptop.

(4) Then the police took this this insignificant accident seriously?

(5) So you were arrested.

(6) You pleaded guilty in fear the police might lock you up thinking you might flee the country.

(7) Many people arrested over something more serious than an accidental use of a modem card get released on their own recognizance.

Sincerely yours,

Lt. Columbo

Welcome to the forum DocTony.

You have been given some good advice as well as cynicism, comes on all forums.

Have you been to the Philippines before and if so why the SRRV road? If you haven't been before or feeling your way why not do what MoonDog suggests, stay in country in a visitor visa for more than 6 months then get the local NBI clearance for the PRA requirements, no need to get clearance from your home country.

Good luck and enjoy when you get here.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

yes I have been to the Philippines, back when I was in the USN. Loved my time there and have always loved the people. The 6 month Visa route is sounding like a good foundation to build off of for the SRRV. Thanks for the response.

Doc

I would take the advise offered by Big Pearl and do like Moon Dog. I just looked at The Philippines Retirement Authority Website and it says if you go down the SRRV route straight away, you will need Police Clearance from your country of origin.

Hello everyone,

Again, some posts have been put aside from this thread (as well) due to some inappropriate and irrelevant postings.

Regards

Bhavna

DocTony said <big snip> "not. . . . . . . fact" <end of big snip>

(1) You accidentally used the supervisors modem card in your laptop thinking that it was yours.

(2) The supervisor also didn't like to hire contractors but you were hired.

(3) He wanted his father in law to have the job you were hired for.

(4) Then this supervisor pressed charges because his modem card was found in your laptop.

(4) Then the police took this this insignificant accident seriously?

(5) So you were arrested.

(6) You pleaded guilty in fear the police might lock you up thinking you might flee the country.

(7) Many people arrested over something more serious than an accidental use of a modem card get released on their own recognizance.

Sincerely yours,
Lt. Columbo
-@Enzyte Bob

Lieutenant Columbo & Jim Rockford - the dream team :)

Are you in the same state that the incident  occurred,  the only police clearance you need is from the state you currently  live in, it might not be on record get a copy of the police report in your state, it is crazy all they need is a police report from the state your in, it won't  list crimes from other states, you could be a convicted bank robber in California but won't  be listed on your Oklahoma  report, only a FBI report would do that

@DocTony have you asked a US attorney about getting the misdemeanor dismissed?

@DocTony https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expungeme … ted_States