13 A None Quota Immigrant Visa by Marriage (probationary)

Dear All ,

I've finally, after 2.5 years of staying here (part of that was a year balik bayan + visa extensions throughout) started my 13 A process!

From the checklist, it seems the most challenging part of applying for the 13A is the NBI clearance!  How long did it it take y'all?

I'm hearing anywhere from one afternoon all the way to 30 days + ! Please do let us know .

Also , if there's anything you would have done differently and/or more efficiently looking back, please let me know.

My current status is valid till July 25th , I hope I can get all the items checked off including the dreaded NBI clearance before that date !

Dear All ,
I've finally, after 2.5 years of staying here (part of that was a year balik bayan + visa extensions throughout) started my 13 A process!

From the checklist, it seems the most challenging part of applying for the 13A is the NBI clearance! How long did it it take y'all?
I'm hearing anywhere from one afternoon all the way to 30 days + ! Please do let us know .

Also , if there's anything you would have done differently and/or more efficiently looking back, please let me know.

My current status is valid till July 25th , I hope I can get all the items checked off including the dreaded NBI clearance before that date !

-@omarwebber111

If you are lucky it could be done in one day, the second day my stepson picked it up for me.

I needed an NBI clearance for my SRRV.  I went to a regional office in Cabanatuan, Central Luzon, rather than Manila.  (I so much prefer the rural life.)  When applying, they told me it might take a month to hear back ... "Maybe two..."  I said Fine and paid the extra charge of a few dollars for the shipping fee, instead of losing a full day of my life in Manila.

After two months I called.  Nada.  After three months I called.  Nada.  After four months I called and the lady said, "Oh!  I was just going to call you."  Drove into Cabanatuan that afternoon and picked it up.

I've heard that going to Manila (and maybe an office in Cebu?) can get you the clearance in one day.  But if you use a provincial office plan on months for a reply.

Admittedly, this was over the 'ber months' -- I applied in September and picked it up in January.  I was grateful to get it, however long it took, and grateful that I didn't have to deal with Manila to get it done.  Too much of my life spent on EDSA already!

Steve on the palayan (rice farm)

Good example of how things change so fast here...Pre-covid I was in and out in 20 minutes and picked Clearance next day, no idea why it's taking so long now...

I applied for NBI clearance in Tacloban City on June 2 and was told to pick up my clearance on July 5. It can not be mailed but I can email my brother in law an authorization letter and he can pick it up and save me a long drive. He will visit on July 12 which is soon enough.

Quick Follow-up .....

Once everything is completed, and I finally submit my paperwork/file at Intramuros Manila, how long do I have to wait before I get my actual 13A ?

What does that look like ? I mean is it a visa sticker placed in your passport? Or is it a piece of paper? Please note that it's only the 1 year probationary I will receive first .

The first card is ACR-1, After year it can be a permanent 13-A. The card is plastic like a credit card or drivers license.

@Enzyte Bob

Great Thanks , and the good folks at  Immigration Bureau Intramuros issue it the same day you submit everything?

@Enzyte Bob
Great Thanks , and the good folks at Immigration Bureau Intramuros issue it the same day you submit everything?
-@omarwebber111

For me it was not issued the same day. I understand, but not sure, you can check online to see it has been  issued.

It took me several trips just to get the application correct, then when the 13A time came up, Covid caused a lot of delays, It took me four months to have the card in hand.

I had several more trips, all-in-all between ACR-1 and 13A, I think I made six trips to BI. To put your mind at ease lot of Expats on this forum just breezed through without my complications.

I probably spent more on Grab fees than application fees. In hindsight with the problems I had, I should have hired an agency.

@omarwebber111 I received my 13a approval from the PH Embassy in Washington, DC, so my situation was different than yours. When I arrived in Manila, the immigration clerk at the airport noted '13a' on the entry stamp in my passport. I then needed to go to BI Intramuros, who sent me to the Bureau of Quarantine for a physical checkup. They put a clearance stamp in my passport, and then BI accepted my application for an ACR-I card. They said it would take 4 weeks (just before Covid) but I had it sent to Cagayan de Oro so it took much, much longer. Make sure your marriage is recorded with the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) - you will need a "Report of Marriage" from them. to process your application.

Applied on Friday afternoon for NBI clearance. Picked up Monday afternoon.

@omarwebber111 it use to be stamped in your passport, I still need to carry my old passport with the stamp in it , when I fly from USA the airline wants to see it if your flying one way