Property Issues

See Todays news on Ekathemarini about thousands of properties on sale which actually have serious illegal irregularities on building regs and probably the owners know it and want to get rid of it hoping it wont be picked up on,but a new law was passed recently regarding such things,the owners must put all illegalities right so BEWARE and ensure your mechanics,symvolio and lawyer are searching very well any purchase you make.Things like saying the apotheki basement is part of the home and being on the license as such when it will only ever be a store room.

This is so true - if anyone buys a property or land in Greece without expert advice from their notary, solicitor, civil engineer (in case of construction issues) they are not just crazy they are wasting their time - money and sanity (from someone who “has been there and done it”

I have been trying to contact law firms in Corfu for the past several months but there has been no response from any I have emailed. If anyone has recommendations and referrals that they have personally had experience with it would be kindly appreciated. 

Having a primary and second opinion to crosscheck would be ideal.   

This is actually very much in line with our experience in Canada building my home as it was also very confusing and involved so much government and legal interaction along the way.  Nothing surprises me but absolutely a lawyer or two is always required.

@PhilIpZ20201 Well Philip.I hope it turned out alright in the end for you,you were a very brave person,it nearly killed us,my husband had the land and we built a 3 floor house,well the bottom was an apotheki supposedly,we put a bathroom,the mechanic OKd it but when we came to sell all hell was let loose because a new mechanic took over when ours died at 42 halfway through building,a new license was made for another 3 thousand and she didnt add the bathroom,so the agent we used to sell was a mechanic as well and he knew people in high places who could somehow add the bathroom on to the second license which came at a cost but was legal in the end,me in my panic told him...oh just tell the buyer theres no bathroom downstairs,its too late he wants it for guests.He was a rich Russian person with a big Russian family visiting,loads of loos needed.One has to pay all the masteraas pension stamps even if you do the work yourself,you still pay,they gave us about 8 years to come up with the money,bit by bit we paid,the roof was done twice,it looked like a ten year old had done it,I was ready to move into a yurt forever after that,I still am.A horrible neighbor marked out on our veranda where she wanted part of it cut off,too close to my house she said and she went to the planning department to inspect our plans for illegalities and it wasnt until we told her that our mechanic had clearly seen irregularities on her house,illegal, that closed down her mouth never to be heard again for fear of penalties.The day we completed on that was like we had been let out of prison.so take heed readers,it can be done BUT research well,build only very very small,a semi basement is worth having but the special membrane for damp must go around before the soil is put back.never try to say..oh lets make this into part of the house,its not unless your license says so and it cant say so if you have used your metres upstairs and anyway they dont let you,its a storage room,you can have water and electric,thats all.We did sleep in the summer because its cool and soooo warm in the winter, so really I wish i had just built into the ground,just a semi basement with a fab garden and sunken veg garden,nothing more,and oh so much less maintenance,remember older age brings less desire for house jobs,repairs etc.. other wise one begins to curse the house thats seems to be taking your life.

@concertina

Hello, it is absolutely right about illegal houses and plots as well. You must take a reliable lawyer who can check registration of the property in the Forest Office, city hall and verify that the property in question has a TOPO from the last two months. It won't be valid otherwise.

@concertina Also about property here in Ellatha,people must not think that any naughty things they have done outside of the said license wont matter because I will never sell it,my children will inherit...heres the problem...when someone or ones inherit here the inheritors must bring a mechanic and put the original outline plan in his/her hand and that mechanic will inspect everything to see if the now property,building,apartment house is exactly the same as the original plan,they may say,wheres the veranda here shown on the plan,you seem to have turned it into a bedroom,ooops,and ooops I see a building on the land AND your kitchen shows larger metres than the plan does,you made your kitchen bigger????ooops haaa,so the inheritor will not inherit anything until this large problem is sorted which may mean penalties(money)and pulling down the extra bits,this applies also if one wishes to sell ones property,you place that original outline plan in the palm of your mechanic for their very careful inspection and you will pay a fee for this,its not so big but scary for those who have issues shall we say,its a new law so maybe some folks bought property in times when it was not picked up on and they get a shock,a mechanic can never be bribed either for fear of their license.