So many empty plots of land

When having a look around the Silver Coast, but also in many other locations in Portugal, I find large amounts of "developments" with  empty plots of land that already have roads, utility connections and side walks, but nobody ever built on there. I am not only talking about places like Bom Successo or Royal Obidos near Obidos, but also many smaller "developments". Does anybody know why this happened? It seems like a huge waste of resources to do all these preparations and then let is deteriorate.

Albufeira is full of half built then abandoned developments of dozens or even hundreds of apartments.

Many right in main old town.

Bizarre.

A local once told me there were often legal challenges that last a decade or more.

I agree. What a waste.

Regarding problems of " abandoned " tourist projects: this has to do with the bankruptcy of construction companies, particularly Timesharing flats, and also the banking crisis that affected the BPN, BPP and BES banks in the 2008 and 2011 crises. These cases have taken years and years to get through the Portuguese justice system, which is slow and accumulates unacceptable efficiency errors. I know a case of timesharing bankruptcy in the Algarve, with hundreds of creditors. The construction company went into insolvency in 1992, and only in 2022 (!), was the process concluded, with the "massa falida" (bankrupt estate) giving rise to compensation for the creditors - among them, a few hundred clients who invested their money in the 90s, to have a week's holiday every year..... unbelievable.

The Portuguese State itself, with incompetent politicians, who unfortunately cannot be sent away from their seats of power (for various reasons that I cannot talk about here), leave their public assets abandoned... and expect the housing crisis to be solved by private individuals. These private individuals who, in addition, still live with unaffordable taxes and fees set by the government itself...

There are also the international real estate funds full of money, which speculate prices, buying entire buildings cheaply, increasing gentrification, especially in major cities, and that neither the increased taxes on property, encourages them to rehabilitate, waiting for prices to rise more and more, and postponing the placement of these properties on the market ...

And finally, some town halls that promote some businesses of doubtful usefulness, or that anticipate the construction works, given the expected real estate demand in their municipality. And what is behind all this? Personal interests, politics, companies that corrupt politicians, and so on....

The Portuguese people have great virtues... but also a huge defect, which is the fear of change and risk. The reason for this has to do with over 50 years of dictatorship and a political class which promotes dependence on the state and little on private initiative. Hopefully, the generational change will solve this and the new generations who no longer lived under the dictatorship (1925-1974) or in the turbulent years (1974-1985) after the revolution, and drunk on some kind of ideologies which I can't say here which ones... that lead nowhere ... will be able to change this paradigm...1f610.svg

The Portuguese people have great virtues... but also a huge defect, which is passivity and fear of change. The reason for this has to do with over 50 years of dictatorship and a political class which promotes dependence on the state and little on private initiative. Hopefully, the generational change will solve this and the new generations who no longer lived under the dictatorship (1925-1974) or in the turbulent years (1974-1985) after the revolution, and drunk on some kind of ideologies which I can't say here which ones... that lead nowhere ... will be able to change this paradigm...1f610.svg
-@JohnnyPT

Ahhh ............... I wondered if anyone else had read some history and come to similar conclusions though I take it as the majority general population were in fear of  the Salazar regime as they lacked power or influence so avoided as much contact with "authority" as possible but were compliant to try and avoid confrontations. Almost like two separate populations in one country which almost continues today though (hopefully) more diluted than previously.

Next lesson will be on the Islamic state of "Portugal" and don't forget to hand in your homework before you go home.

Next lesson will be on the Islamic state of "Portugal" and don't forget to hand in your homework before you go home.
-@Strontium

What do you mean by that?...

Maybe this would contrast with the clockwork efficiency and punctilious regard for order one would experience in nearby Mediterranean countries - Italy, France, Spain for example.

Ironically, by some accounts, the sentiments that led to the end of the Estado Novo in the Carnation Revolution, came out of a younger population who didn't remember the instability of the preceding First Republic.

On a positive note I recently noticed that the works on Royal Obidos, another community built around a golf course is slowly progressing with several houses under construction. Royal Obidos has been in "hibernation" for a long time.

Thanks again to JohnnyPT for his explanation. Unfortunately, most EU countries seem to have similarly incompetent politicians at all levels.

Regarding empty plots: not everything can be interests and corruption between businesses and town halls. It could be a planning for future construction and already approved by the municipal councils. Normally they build accesses and place boxes for electricity and water connections, for future projects, which may already be in pre-approval by the municipalities and may take up to 1 or 2 years to start construction.

Thanks to the public scrutiny that nowadays is made by the media to public bodies (government, deputies and town halls) is increasingly difficult to escape through the eye of the needle ... Sooner or later, everything comes to light... If you watch & understand in portuguese the news on all the 4 news channels, it happens every day...

Ironically, by some accounts, the sentiments that led to the end of the Estado Novo in the Carnation Revolution, came out of a younger population who didn't remember the instability of the preceding First Republic.
-@donn25

Usually revolutions are started by young people and not by elderly people. But this 1974 revolution is peculiar because there was hardly a drop of blood. The Estado Novo was already rotten. The soldiers' weapons were used to put carnations offered by a florist instead of needing to be used. Only in Portugal does a revolution of this kind take place... :)

E depois do adeus

https://youtu.be/pJrtNwD_r_0

@JohnnyPT Actually a bit like in Tunisia in 2011. I was there during this time and despite lots of external intervention the whole mood was very peaceful. Unfortunately the poor Tunisians went out of the frying pan and into the fire. However, compared to the poor Libyans they are very lucky.

@JohnnyPT perfectly put.. yes.. it could be a small paradise.. but unfortunately due to widely spread corruption  ( dog eat dog world), the place is getting darker and darker... and as far as land is concerned - agricultural and rustic is apparently different as I painfully found out last week.. clarification on "main difference " and how applicable it is to future possible PDM ... oh well.. the answer always turns out  to be .. "mmm.. yes... definite perhaps".

A visitor we once had stay with us, after seeing all the half finished developments, innocently remarked that "the Algarve will be a lovely place once it's finished"1f923.svg