Elective residence visa for Italy question

I am a US citizen currently living on my boat in Turkey and I return to the US usually once a year for several weeks. But I have not lived in the US for six years.. I currently have no plans for returning to the US in the near future. I am fully retired, and otherwise I meet all the requirements for.an elective visa.

Question:  Do I have to live in the US for three months or more before I can get an elective residence visa for Italy?

You are not required to live in the US for three months before applying.  However, you must apply for the elective residency visa at an Italian consulate within your US address region.     Search online for the closest consulate near your US home, and then check out their website for their application requirements.  Each consulate seems to have a few different requirements.  All, however, require a minimum passive income stream, plus either ownership of a home or an apartment lease, registered with the tax authority in Italy for a minimum of a year, and it cannot be an Airbnb.  Finally, know that you surrender your passport with the paperwork when you submit your application.  Therefore you can not travel internationally until they either approve or reject your application.  Check out [link moderated] for more information, and they have several options to guide you through the process.

@ItaloFox hey, can i go to india and come back with my expired permesso di soggiorno and ricevuta of postale without doing fingerprints??

@sandhaanmol17. Not sure why having to submit your fingerprints is an issue UNLESS you have something to hide. 

I am going thru the Elective residency visa process and have a question. I have gotten my visa stamp on my passport , I have submitted my paperwork at the the Italian post office on august 14, 2023. and received my appointment date for the Questura on April 9 2024. ( approx 8 months time frame). I would like to see if I can change my appt. with the Questura to a little later date, around May or june can someone tell me if this is possible and how would I make this happen.  Who do I contact? , can I email?