Hi all and help please!

Hi all, I am looking to move to Saudi soon from the UK, was just wanting to speak to some people who have made the move and more specifically, how the professional side of things are over there as I moved to Egypt last year and faced issues with salary payments etc.

I hope to speak to as many of you as possible, with thanks and best wishes, Nasiya x

Why would a female professional want to come here? I am guessing that whatever problem you face in Egypt will be ten-fold here. I hate to be negative, and I'm not a female but it's common for ANYONE regardless of gender, to have some employer issues with timeliness of pay and contract issues, etc here, and then add to that, the fact that women face a myriad of gender challenges here, that men don't have to deal with.  It's none of my business, but my advice would be to consider a place that's a little  more progressive in terms of all the above.  It's tough enough just being here, and I can only imagine how the expat ladies cope with it.  I know this isn't the advice you're looking for. Sorry.

Hiya Dave and thanks for that. The answer to your question is the package that I am being offered, I read on someone else's post on here somewhere that in most countries unless you have a medical degree, you wont get the packages you can in Saudi and thats true. I am only planning on staying a few years and understand it will be tough, Egypt was a nightmare but if you get a good offer and take it, its that aspect I am looking to research a little.

Appreciate your response and understand that it must be frustrating to some but would appreciate some advice from people currently living in Riyadh on the everyday essentials.

With thanks and best regards, N.

Sure no problem, and thanks for the clarification. I'm sure there's lots of Riyadh expats who'll respond with some helpful information. Female expats in Riyadh would be the best source, as I'm male and working in a remote town near the Yemeni border. Riyadh and Jeddah are just airports we pass through on our way to "the world" on occasional holidays.  Hopefully the big-city folk can assist you more.

Thanks Dave :-)

Hi Nasiya,

if you want to save money ull be able to do it here in saudi since there's not much of a choice...

though, they have crazy sale season every end of the year... there are nice restaurats here too but ofcourse its not fun ad safe to go alone.

there are some parties goin on too but its usually in the american or british compounds only.

i guess no expat would want to grow old here so ull be fine for a couple of years :)

TC and goodluck with your offer :)

Wow! Parties in the western compounds? woohoo! I'm jealous now, because I'm in a remote place in a poor province. NO compounds. My consolation is that I make more money at this remote location here, than if I relocated to the more cosmopolitan places in KSA.  My employer knows it's a "hardship post"  working here, so he pays us considerably more than our western counterparts in the big cities, as incentive. I guess it works; money talks. Still, sometimes I get jealous hearing such stories about "normal" western life in the compounds.

Hi Dave KSA

yeah i guess you should consider moving here in dammam or khobar. aside from being near in bahrain its also near aramco where everything is available if you have connections.

Riyadh is more strict but since you are a guy you'll e able to move freely except mingling with girls. :)

Riyadh (estraha) & khobar (azizia) are the area for private occassions.  i think khobar dammam is better than riyadh in terms of freedom and places to go to.

Good to hear u r compensated very well :)

I've been told Jeddah is the most tolerant and relaxed of all KSA cities, though it's STILL KSA. Anyway, life is full difficult choices...haha. The money or the lifestyle. I'll just go with the money and wait for occasional holidays. Just returned from Zambales, Philippines on holiday.

I've never had a problem getting paid on time nor have anyone I work with.

I'm also in Dammam / Khobar and am loving it.
..Went to an uncrowded LuLu supermarked this morning (LuLu is great, better than many supermarkets in the west) bought some great quality food then later had a sroll along the beach and got my feet wet in the warm sea. What a great start to a weekend!

Better than waking up to in a tiny apartment in London with a stinking hangover and empty wallet from the night before! :rolleyes:

David KSA,

jeddah is also nice but its far from riyadh nor bahrain... i still think khobar dammam is the best place in KSA :)  btw, u went to zambalez? do u have friends and family there? they have nice beaches though it is far from manila...

hamlay,

Lulu can be really crowded supermarket, your just lucky u wewnt there early. I just got home from there and its so crowded ...but they sure have nice stuff on sale :)

i guess the weather is getting better nowadays... i went out in our compound and walked today and i didnt sweat at all... its definitely better than last few days :) thank god its getting colder :)

Hi all, so sorry not been on in a while. Really appreciate all the responses and advice though.

Heres what I have been doing while I have been absent from here...

Finally secured an offer and we are just about to get visas done, think we are aiming for a mid September move so I am all excited and of course apprehensive.

I need some advice please on what essentials to bring, oh I forgot to mention that I will be in Riyadh.

Thing is, I visited Egypt loads of times before I moved and still did loads of research, months in fact whereas with this move, its all happening quickly and I have never been to Saudi so I am so unsure about tons of things for example, as you were talking about, supermarkets....can I go alone in Riyadh?

What are they like? As I have accommodation with gym and travel to and from work provided, how expensive is the rest? I just want an idea of expat life in Riyadh as I really have no clue.

Thanks all, you're a great bunch and I hope you have a fab day!

[moderated]

Gee I never knew. I'm quitting and moving to Dammam now!!!!!

but make good connections 1st:P

A lot depends on how trustworthy the company is. :|

It's hard to find a 5 star, 100% trustworthy company...

Hey Nisiya,

Hope you are fine,

first of all congratulations on your new job here, Hope you will enjoy your work here.

About Riyadh, its not safe for a women to go out for shopping alone but the best you can do is go for an accommodation in any of the western compounds where in almost all the compounds you will also have facility for Gym (I suggest for Seder) I have seen this compound this is pretty good for Expat other than they also have Bus facility which every morning start from compound till city center and you can go avail that service if you want to go for shopping. there are many things which I can not completely describe here in this you can check for more on their website.

Hope you will love this place. :)