Where to live in Geneva - car advice?

Hello

I am moving to Geneva in a couple of months and am trying to work out where to live.
Ideally I want to get a car, not to commute or for Geneva itself but to be able to explore the country and neighbouring countries in the weekends and also to drive back home ( holland) ones in a while.
Do I need to get a flat with a parking space, are there parking spaces available to rent elsewhere, should I move away from the city a bit? Should i import a car or is it best to buy one in GNV?  I would not mind commuting by bike (weather permitting) or public transport and am an absolute water fanatic so somewhere near the lake would be great. Currently live in London and am used to commuting 1hr.

Would appreciate your advice.

Angela

Hello Angela and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will advise you soon.

Harmonie.

Housing in Geneva is expansive , for a flat with 3 rooms , count about 1500 swiss francs/month minimun..

It is cheaper if you stay for instance in Nyon, not far from Geneva, the train is quick and on time, but its travelling frequencies in the week end are less
You will have more space there in Nyon, but you probably miss the cultural activities and het nacht leven..als jij van dat houdt.., and in Geneva Central Station you pick the bus to your work.

Also parking in Gneva you will need a sort of licence , called here "macaron" with wich you can park in your own district with Geneva

I am also trying to buy een 2d hands auto..I will put a budget of about 5000 to 7000 FR

prijzen van auto..kan hier vinden = autoscout24.ch

Thanks for your advice - will definitely look into Nyon
let me know how you get on with buying a car - so far it seems best to buy one in Germany

Hi Angela, in case of an official move to CH, you're allowed to bring with you all your belongings without having to pay any duties (incl. your car). Knowing that almost everything is more expensive in CH, you might consider buying a car, new furniture, TV and other electrical appliances whilst still leaving in the NL!
Regarding living in GE, it is expensive and available flats are very sparse (less than 0.2% of total rental parc!) and as already mentioned, you'll eventually end up looking for housing outside of the city (Nyon has been mentioned) or even accross the border in France.
Re. your car, there is also a very cool way to rent a car whenever you'll need one. It's called Mobility and you'd check it out under mobility.ch/en/pub/index.cfm
Best, apolony

We were scared by others that it is very hard to find a suitable flat and car place in Geneva. We were lucky and found the flat we like very soon. For 1 room and 1 kitchen we will pay 1200, what is not so bad. I don't think you will find a three bedroom flat for 1500, all I saw was much more expensive. :)