Driving side to change in the North

Driving in the north will switch to the right hand side of the road as part of an effort to bring it in line with Turkey and put an end to remnants of British colonial rule, an advisor to the transport ‘minister' in the north said on Monday.

According to reports from Turkish Cypriot press, Alptekin Evmez confirmed that driving will change from the left side to the right side. He did not specify when the change would come to effect.

Özgür Gazete newspaper quoted Evmez as saying “in my ‘country' both the British three-pin plug as well as the driving on the left have to stop.” This was going to happen “despite the traitors among us,” he said.

“Put an end to pseudo-British colonialism,” he added.

Halkin Sesi carried statements from electronics engineer and lecturer Yusuf Avcıoğlu, saying that Turkey produces the electric vehicle TOGG, while the north produces GÜNSEL. The latter has the steering wheel on the right side but TOGG always produces cars with the steering wheel on the left.

“Why? Are you the enemy of local production? While all car brands can produce a steering wheel on either the left or right depending on the country they will sell it, can TOGG not do so?”

Head of the chamber of mechanical engineers in the north (MMO) Ayer Yarkiner was quoted in Avrupa as saying the idea of importing TOGG vehicles produced in Turkey with the steering wheel on the left was unacceptable.

The transport ‘minister' made a statement in Turkish newspaper Hürriyet announcing the development, while Yarkiner said a ‘minister' should not be making such statements.

“Nationalism and love for Turkey is measured as a promise of submission to Turkey's current government, no matter what.”

Özgür Gazete newspaper quoted Evmez as saying “in my ‘country' both the British three-pin plug as well as the driving on the left have to stop.” This was going to happen “despite the traitors among us,” he said.

“Nationalism and love for Turkey is measured as a promise of submission to Turkey's current government, no matter what.”
-@Toon

Nothing wrong with a bit of 'be the best so we can be the best' nationalism, but dumping the safest and best plug type in the world in a hissy fit of stupidity because you don't like colonialism a lot of years after it ended is bloody daft.

What's the silly sod want? a plug type that isn't even as close as safe, and a reduction in power capability because the British were nasty in the past - Phew, what a loony!

Nationalism is about improving your country, not making it worse for idiotic political reasons and headlines about how great you are.

I wonder how many Brits will if it happens decide to leave as a result of these decisions.. I know many expats relocate and adapt to driving on the right.... But I have to say having tried it I wasn't comfortable with it.. that's just me and am not saying it isn't safe..it's  just a mindset....

As for plugs I agree safest plug in the world

I wonder how many Brits will if it happens decide to leave as a result of these decisions..
-@Toon

Probably none, but some might decide the political situation is not so good, especially if they are Brits and feel as if they are being targeted.

A few daft words won't upset too many, unless words turn into actions.

Xenophobia can turn nasty.

True enough

'...the British were nasty, in the past...' The Turks have little to be proud of regarding their history.

@Toon

Just seeing this now as I am not always online.

Think this would be very difficult to implement if tried.

Not sure if this would mean 95% of the population would have to purchase left-hand drive vehicles, or if some kind of exchange program would occur.

Who would owners and galleries all sell their current right-hand drive vehicles to?

How would companies with staff that drive company cars handle this? How would rental car companies handle this?

Every single signage would have to be changed, this could literally take years.

What impact would this have on road rules and regulations if one were to continue using their right-hand drive vehicles?

What impact would this have on vehicle insurance for every single car owner?

Would the elderly driving population be able to cope with such a change?

That's something TRNC would have to answer ... I have no answers but take your points....not easy by any stretch of the imagination