Is milangas safe?

Is milangas safe?

need info... please?

Is milangas safe?
need info... please?
-@The Cold War Kid

Is that something you eat?

If it is and you don't post in the future, I guess it's not safe to eat.

Is milangas safe?
need info... please?
-@The Cold War Kid

So you mean "malunggay", which is a very healthy superfood that grows everywhere here?

Is milangas safe?
need info... please?
-@The Cold War Kid

What / Where / Who is milangas?

Here's a guess: The area between Milagros (municipality in Masbate) and Batangas (capital city of Batangas): Milangas. Is it safe? Maybe.

Looks like an Argentine version of chicken fried steak. As long as it doesn't smell like fish it is probably safe to eat.

Looks like an Argentine version of chicken fried steak. As long as it doesn't smell like fish it is probably safe to eat.
-@Moon Dog

Yeh that was what I thought, an Argentinian schnitzel.

It's odd that the OP is asking about an Argentine dish in a Phiippine forum. Some Filipino dishes and food do have Spanish sounding names, like caldereta, tamales and chicharon. But I haven't heard of "milangas" other than from this forum.

@FilAmericanMom I still think he might mean malunggay, a healthy leaf that grows on trees in the visayas.

It's odd that the OP is asking about an Argentine dish in a Phiippine forum. Some Filipino dishes and food do have Spanish sounding names, like caldereta, tamales and chicharon. But I haven't heard of "milangas" other than from this forum.
-@FilAmericanMom

We are probably wrong about Milangas being a food, I really cannot see somebody asking if it is safe to eat a meat coated in bread. There most be another meaning.

-@FilAmericanMom

There are cultural connections. Argentina is roughly 50% Spanish & 50% Italian which is probably why they are talented soccer players. Buenos Aires ( very much in the news lol) is a fascinating city that I have visited twice. The cuisine I found somewhat disappointing given the rich gastronomic heritage of the country. Argentines don't excel with vegetables and I can't remember seeing 'Milangas' on a restaurant menu.

Appears the OP lost the cold war.

@The Cold War Kid

1. If this is what you are referring too, it is definitely safe to eat.

2. If this NOT what you are referring to, all expats should know about this Philippine superfood anyway, that grows everywhere and is free for the taking. It is awesome and almost too good to be true but I think most Westerners are not aware of it. The nutient levels far exceed other green vegetables, it can cause nursing mothers to produce milk and the seeds can also be used to purify water.

https://www.pinoyrecipe.net/top-10-heal … y-moringa/

Dan writes, "all expats should know about this Philippine superfood anyway, (malunggay / moringa) that grows everywhere and is free for the taking. It is awesome and almost too good to be true but I think most Westerners are not aware of it. The nutient levels far exceed other green vegetables .. -@danfinn

`

Yes, Dan ..

Malunggay has been named as the national vegetable of the Philippines by the House of Representatives

Some years ago, House Bill 2071 designated November as, “National Malunggay Month” in the Philippines.

The “miracle vegetable,” as some scientists called it, has been promoted by no less than the World Health Organization (WHO) as a low-cost health enhancer in poor countries around the globe.

Malunggay is so rich in nutrients and vitamins that its image is used for the official government logo of the Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI) of the Philippine Government Department of Science and Technology.

Nutritionists note that just 100 grams of malunggay leaves yield the following: 75 calories of energy (higher than ampalaya, squash, tomatoes or carrots), 5.9 grams protein (higher than cauliflower, lettuce or mustard), 12.8 grams carbohydrate (higher than okra, papaya or watermelon), 353 milligrams calcium (higher than gabi leaves, mung beans, squash and camote tops), 3.7 milligrams niacin (higher than all other vegetables analyzed). And for thiamin, phosphorus and ascorbic acid, malunggay is at the top of the list.

In addition, nutritionists affirm that 200 grams of malunggay leaves would give a nutritive value roughly equivalent to four eggs and two glasses of milk. Its iron compound prevents deficiency of red blood cells known as anemia. And being a very rich source of calcium, it greatly aids in maintaining healthy bones and teeth.

Malunggay is also rich in vitamin A (higher than red and green mung beans, radish or eggplant), thus helping prevent xerophthalmia, a disease of the eye. Adults are urged to eat malunggay leaves as its vitamin C content is higher than those of ampalaya leaves.

Filipino women consider malunggay as ally in nurturing babies. In fact, they dubbed malunggay as their “best friend.” For lactating women, malunggay aids in the production of vitamin-rich milk for the newly-born baby. The calcium content of malunggay, nutritionists claim, is four times those found in milk.

Because malunggay is a most nutritious plant, the Philippines Department of Agriculture identifies the farming development of malunggay as a priority project."

Ref: https://businessmirror.com.ph/2018/10/04/malunggay-the-countrys-vegetable-icon/

--

Moringa Tree . . .

I wife has several Moringa Trees growing in flower pots on our balcony. Originally it was just a stick from another tree. She stuck this stick in the flower pot and it grew with branches and leaves.

She plucks the leaves and using them in cooking.

@Enzyte Bob

Interesting. My neighbour has a large Bay Leaf tree which often hangs over our adjoining garden wall. Once a year I cut off a few branches , hang them in the garage to dry, and then break off the dried leaves into a spice jar. Great for casseroles etc. Would be interested to know if they have Bay trees in the Philippines. Can't remember seeing any so it might be a climate thing.