Wait Until I'm in the Phils to Apply for SRRV?

I'm posting to verify an understanding I got from an internet site somewhere.

I read that the best approach for pursuing an SRRV visa is to arrive in the Phils on a tourist visa, and to to apply for the SRRV once in-country.  The stated reasons included:  the waiting time, the bureaucracy involved, and according to one person, the possibility that he might have to appear at an immigration office in person to ensure that the application process was completed successfully.

Would appreciate any feedback on this point.

Hi

I waited until I was in the Philippines and I am very glad that I did.

The written information on SRRV application is very confusing and inaccurate. A walk in visit to the PRA answered all my questions. The actual process can be quite easy, if you have already done your homework. I didn't need to hire a marketeer and completed the groundwork in one day.

Good luck

Steve

voyager39 wrote:

I'm posting to verify an understanding I got from an internet site somewhere.

I read that the best approach for pursuing an SRRV visa is to arrive in the Phils on a tourist visa, and to to apply for the SRRV once in-country.  The stated reasons included:  the waiting time, the bureaucracy involved, and according to one person, the possibility that he might have to appear at an immigration office in person to ensure that the application process was completed successfully.

Would appreciate any feedback on this point.

Nonsense.

There are documents that need to be apostilled while still in the states. That CANNOT be done while in the Philippines unless you pay a stateside service a pretty hefty sum to have them apostilled for you and sent to the Philippines.

You also need to have a stateside bank account from which you will wire the time deposit to the account established by the PRA at the bank of your choice. They will provide you a list of banks in the RP to choose from. I used BDO as I already have accounts there.  This can ONLY be done via a wire transfer from a stateside account.  I did mine while in the RP using my online wire transfer service from my stateside bank.

I am not allowed by his site to post personal information such as email addresses, etc.  So please send me a private message and I will be happy to send you the names and email addresses of two very helpful and experienced ladies who can walk you through the process.
NO, they are NOT fixers. They are accredited PRA (Philippine Retirement Authority) representatives who, for no fee aside what the PRA charges you, will instruct you in exactly what needs to be done to begin the application for your SRRV. There will be NO request for money to answer your questions.

To send me a PM just click on my name and it will take you to a page where you will see "Send a Message".

Regards.

To this day I still  don't see the benefit of the SRRV.  With the deposit requirements and paperwork it is of questionable value considering that you can extend up to 36 months so easily. 

Yes agreed you do save the extension fees but You still need to get the ACR and it is at the cost of sinking $10k in a PRA account.   The only scenario I see is living in a location that makes renewal a real hassle.   

I'm getting the 13A visa which if you are married does make good sense....otherwise my 2 cents is just extend and save yourself the headache.

MinimalistJourneyman wrote:

To this day I still  don't see the benefit of the SRRV.  With the deposit requirements and paperwork it is of questionable value considering that you can extend up to 36 months so easily. 

Yes agreed you do save the extension fees but You still need to get the ACR and it is at the cost of sinking $10k in a PRA account.   The only scenario I see is living in a location that makes renewal a real hassle.   

I'm getting the 13A visa which if you are married does make good sense....otherwise my 2 cents is just extend and save yourself the headache.

I have an SRRV courtesy.  $1500 time deposit.  So for me it did make sense, though I will agree that I would have gone the 13a route if I would have had to deposit $10k or $20k to secure the SRRV.

My renewal fee is $10 per year, payable 3 years in advance. No ACR-I card and never a trip to the BI. 

The applicants I saw at the PRA offices in Makati were mostly Chinese and Korean, apparently people of means using the SRRV as a way to live in and do business in the RP.
I spoke with a businessman from California while I was there and he had to deposit $20k to secure his. In conversing with him, the amount was apparently insignificant and it allowed him to come and go in the RP as he pleased to continue with business in the U.S. and to expand his business in the RP.  Great idea if you've got the cash.

The SRRV courtesy and it's $1500 deposit and $10 a year renewal fee is available to honorably discharged military vets (short or long term service).

Thank you for clarifying .  I was unaware of the SRRV courtesy.  I'm sure for those who qualify that is indeed a good option.  I was also wrong about the ACR I thought that was required for everyone.

MinimalistJourneyman wrote:

It really depends on the individuals circumstances. If I was married I would certainly go with the 13A.
Single? Uncommitted to a person or country then the very generously offered tourist visa wins hands down, 36 months for a plethora of nationals to me is extremely generous and accommodating.

Partnered (perhaps de facto) and committed to the Philippines then there are other options like the SRRV or the SRIV and other lesser options I have read about from time to time though not pursued as not suitable for us.
The biggest positive I personally see with regards to our situation and an SRRV verses tourist visa is not rocking up for an extension every 59 days as we live here, only slightly lower cost apart from the 10 or 20K US security deposit, I will probably wait a few years until I decide to draw a pension and go the 10K US route. As we are in and out of the country 2 or 3 times a year I will also save on departure taxes under the SRRV option.
BTW our local IMMI office in SFC La Union cannot process a 6 month visa and even if they could only twice in a 36 month period, to avail the 6 month visa I need to travel 6 hours to Manila, find accommodation etc. From memory Baguio 2 hours away don't do this either, others could correct me.

Like a 13A an SRRV gives the holder a drivers licence, easier opening of bank accounts etc and not the hassles of sitting inline with IMMI, the fun that can be had when checking in to return to PH without an onward ticket as others have attested, as said really horses for courses. Research and do it well to suit your needs.

Cheers, Steve.

@BassMan_720 Hi, I'm responding to a post from five years ago about the SRRV. You mentioned that it was quite easy and straightforward to make your application for the visa while already in the Philippines. What I'm concerned about is whether you needed to have any documents apostilled or authenticated in your home country before going to the Philippines. I'd hate to have to return to Europe just to get documents authenticated, expensive, thanks, John

Yes you do need such documents from your home country

Depending on the process you may also need to extend your tourist visa to await the end of the process

I suggest either finding an authorized PRA agent or speak directly with PRA

The processes ,forms change regularly

Thanks for that. Much appreciated.

I'd recommend an apostile police clearance and birth certificate be brought.

I did not take the SRRV route, but i'm presuming that both will be required.

If you are focusing on an SRRV based on militaary service, proof of a release from the service and pension paid by it will be needed.

Check the PRA website for the categories and requirements.

@mprendiville

The only apostilled documents I was asked for were my proof of income and my DD214. In my case I did not have an apostilled copy of either document so I had to have a notarized sworn statement of truth from the US Embassy which works just as well.

I did not have to have a police clearance since I was past my 70th birthday and had been in the Philippines longer than 6 months.

The PRA website….https://pra.gov.ph/srrv……outlines the types of visas available along with a full list of documents and money involved. Best to go to the web site rather than depending on people logged in here.

@Moon Dog  Much appreciated. I will contact the PRA

@Skip Scott  Thanks, will do.