Which SE Asian country is most suitable for a visa run?

I'm currently in Vietnam and my visa would be expiring in no distant time. A friend did a border run into Cambodia & the entire process was short, convenient and cheap ($150). She is from UK. However, when I wanted to use same agency, they told me my nationality is currently not allowed to do same (I'm Nigerian). Frustrating and disappointing as that may be, I'm currently considering other options.

I know I can do it through Malaysia but that will require paying for flight tickets to and fro, lodging in hotel and other miscellaneous expenses. So, I'm wondering if there are other options I can leverage, bearing in mind the factors i.e short duration, cost and convenience?

I need advise from experienced people about this please.

I'm currently in Vietnam and my visa would be expiring in no distant time. A friend did a border run into Cambodia & the entire process was short, convenient and cheap ($150). She is from UK. However, when I wanted to use same agency, they told me my nationality is currently not allowed to do same (I'm Nigerian). Frustrating and disappointing as that may be, I'm currently considering other options. I know I can do it through Malaysia but that will require paying for flight tickets to and fro, lodging in hotel and other miscellaneous expenses. So, I'm wondering if there are other options I can leverage, bearing in mind the factors i.e short duration, cost and convenience? I need advise from experienced people about this please.        -@godsontn

A couple of questions, godsontn, please.

Where in VN are you?

Do you already hold a new eVisa allowing your re-entry to VN?

Nigeria is showing as a country whose citizens do not qualify for a VOA (visa on arrival). Do you have sufficient time remaining to secure a Cambodia visa yourself, here? (Link)

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for your swift response.  I'm not far from HCMC,  actually in Tien Giang, Mekong Delta.

Yes, I have 90-day, multiple entry tourist eVisa. I'm actually a prospective ESL teacher.  However, I did some certifications upon arrival in Vietnam and have about a month plus left on my visa validity. I think that's not enough to process the WP and other logistics. So, I need to get a fresh 90-day visa upon expiration of the current one so it could afford me enough time to do all that.

The agent only said that my passport will not enable me to enter Cambodia on a visa run. She didn't elaborate further.

@Aidan in HCMCThanks for your swift response.  I'm not far from HCMC,  actually in Tien Giang, Mekong Delta.

You're welcome, of course.

Okay, good on Tien Giang. I'm not sure which crossing would be easier for you,

either Ha Tien, VN-Kampot,CAM, or, Moc Bai,VN-Bavet,CAM. Either crossing will work for a border run with a VN eVisa.

Yes, I have 90-day, multiple entry tourist eVisa. I'm actually a prospective ESL teacher.  However, I did some certifications upon arrival in Vietnam and have about a month plus left on my visa validity. I think that's not enough to process the WP and other logistics. So, I need to get a fresh 90-day visa upon expiration of the current one so it could afford me enough time to do all that.

Right you are. Apply now for your new VN eVisa, here. (Link) Feel free to ask any questions which might arise when completing that application. Applying today, you could expect a response from immigration by Wed Apr17th.

Once you've received your new VN eVisa, apply for your Cambodia eVisa, here. (Link) Upon approval from Cambodia, you're ready to do your border run.

The agent only said that my passport will not enable me to enter Cambodia on a visa run. She didn't elaborate further.         -@godsontn

The agent is wrong. Citizens of Nigeria are not eligible for a VOA (visa on arrival) at a Cambodia border crossing. Nigerians must secure their Cambodia visa prior to arrival. Once you have your Cambodia visa allowing entry, and you're holding your VN eVisa allowing re-entry, you're ready for your border run.

@Aidan in HCMC

Wow,  I'm so glad getting this detailed response from you.  You've saved me a lot of time & resources I would have spent trying to make a headway on this.

You mentioned a couple of border sections I can utilize, but I don't know which would be most suitable for me (from Tien Giang).

Thanks once again, I do appreciate your help.

@godsontn

Good stuff!

You'll have to check to see which of the two border crossings in VN are closer to you.

Either Ha Tien, VN, or, Moc Bai, VN. (Links to Google maps)

Please keep the forum up to date on how all this proceeds for you. The information you provide will be of benefit to current and future members of the forum, as well as casual readers alike. We'd very much appreciate it.

edit: now that I think of it, it would be a good idea to submit both your Vietnam and your Cambodia eVisa applications today. There have been reports from members of their applications being denied due to their already being in Vietnam, the denial stating (I'm paraphrasing), "Vietnam eVisa is for foreigners applying from outside Vietnam". Either way, you're bound by the dates stated on your existing VN eVisa, so you must exit VN on or before the expiry date. You're going to want that Cambodia visa in your hands

@Aidan in HCMCWow,  I'm so glad getting this detailed response from you.  You've saved me a lot of time & resources I would have spent trying to make a headway on this. You mentioned a couple of border sections I can utilize, but I don't know which would be most suitable for me (from Tien Giang). Thanks once again, I do appreciate your help.        -@godsontn

OOPS! Sorry godsontn!

Looks like Moc Bai VN - Bavet, CAM will be your only option, as Ha Tien, VN - Kampot, CAM will not allow crossing with a Cambodia eVisa. In fact, Bavet appears to be the only land crossing where a Cambodia eVisa can be used, crossing from Vietnam.

See here for a list of the ports in Cambodia where the eVisa can be used.

Again, sorry about that.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thank you for the update.

@Aidan in HCMC

Okay, based on the update; should I apply for the Cambodia visa now, exit Vietnam before my visa expires, and then reapply from Cambodia?

Seems that's the only viable option, as per the update?

@godsontn

Apply for both now.

If the VN eVisa application is denied due to your being in country, they will send you a notice stating that it is denied because of that, and will ask that it be amended. Wait until you have exited VN, and resubmit it as "amended". The reviewing immigration officer will then see that you have exited VN (your passport will have been scanned when you exit VN).

@Aidan in HCMC

Sure, I will recount my experience here afterwards.

Update!

• I think going through Cambodia is no longer an option for me. For whatever weird reason, I couldn't find my country on the drop-down list, in the box you fill your nationality.  It's really a pity because I really wanted to visit the Angkor watt in Siem Reap.

So, as it stands I have to consider other options.

So, I have the following countries to select from;  Laos,  Thailand,  Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia.

I don't know if Laos allows for border run via land. As for other countries, I don't know which one will offer the best value for money, in terms of flight tickets, hotel accommodation and fun.

Update!I think going through Cambodia is no longer an option for me. For whatever weird reason, I couldn't find my country on the drop-down list, in the box you fill your nationality.  It's really a pity because I really wanted to visit the Angkor watt in Siem Reap.            So, as it stands I have to consider other options.        -@godsontn

Huh?

That's very odd (Link)

Looks like you can choose Nigeria as your "Country/Region of Birth", but not as your "Country of Nationality".

WTH?!

nigeria.png

click here for full size

Before giving up on your VN-CAM border run, I suggest you contact Cambodia's immigration offices (Link). This is truly strange and might possibly be an oversight.

You've still got more than a month on your existing VN eVisa, correct?

I took the liberty of reaching out on your behalf to our members on the Cambodia forum, here.

Watch this post for replies.

godsontn, try dropping these guys a line (Link) and ask them what your options are.

What a rigmarole to go through. Very stressful for you.

I phoned a friend of my GF here on Phu Quoc Island who is a travel agent.

After discussing with her your predicament, her advice was for you to contact the Cambodia embassy, or the Cambodia consulate to submit your visa application. She mentioned something about Nigerians requiring a "Tourist visa", and that neither a "VOA" nor an "eVisa" are options for you, in spite of what the official Cambodia gov't eVisa site states. She also mentioned that the response time from either the consulate or the embassy was "quick"(?).

This is quite a steep learning curve, godsontn, and I thank you for it.

It provides valuable information for any of your compatriots who might find

themselves contemplating a VN - CAM border run.

Go to Cambodian Visa and Work permit group on Facebook. Highly knowledgeable guys there.

Upfront kit is known that citizens of African countries have to get their visa from an embassy.

This seems normal as not all countries are valid for all purpose.

@Aidan in HCMC

Thanks for your help. Yes, it's ridiculous but all the same, I will try some other options like reaching out directly to their embassy/consulate. Do they have one in HCMC?

Nevertheless,  I'm beginning to seriously consider Malaysia as a good alternative. Flight ticket (round trip) between HCMC and Kuala Lumpur appears unbelievably cheap,  same with accommodation. So, I might still do the visa run via Malaysia without spending so much.

So, if Cambodia doesn't work out for me,  Malaysia will come handy.

@godsontn

Yes, there is the Cambodian Consulate in HCMC. A notice on their FB page says they are closed from the 13th -16th Apr for Khmer New Year.

Cambodian Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City

Address:   No. 41, Phung Khac Khoan Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam

Phone:       (+84) 28 829 2751

Email:        camcg.hcm@mfaic.gov.kh / cambocg@hcm.vnn.vn

Alternatively, there is the Cambodian Embassy in Hanoi. I believe both the embassy and the consulate office deal with visa applications.

Cambodian Embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam

Address:   No. 71A, Tran Hung Dao Street, Hanoi

Tel:             (+84) 24 942 4789   (+84) 24 942 4788

Email:        camemb.vnm@mfaic.gov.kh

I do hope that this gets resolved by your applying for the visa directly to one of the Cambodian offices (as suggested by the agent/friend here in Phu Quoc and by expat.com's Cambodia expert, JoeKhmer).

Please do keep us updated.

That time of the month again, off to Moc Bai tomorrow morning on me bike first thing.

First time in many many years I am doing it DIY without my agent Ms Anna holding my hand.

Thanks to OB for contact in Da Nang to get my new 90 days Vietnam tourist e visa while still here in Vietnam & actually excelled myself (wonders never cease) by filling in & getting my Cambodia e visa on line without any problems, it was surprisingly easy actually.

That time of the month again, off to Moc Bai tomorrow morning on me bike first thing.
First time in many many years I am doing it DIY without my agent Ms Anna holding my hand.
Thanks to OB for contact in Da Nang to get my new 90 days Vietnam tourist e visa while still here in Vietnam & actually excelled myself (wonders never cease) by filling in & getting my Cambodia e visa on line without any problems, it was surprisingly easy actually.

-@goodolboy

Well it must be an age thing as I am usually well ahead of the game planning wise etc but just remembered its a holiday tomorrow 18th for the old kings birthday. Hope Moc Bai is open for business tomorrow. Been checking on flights out if I have to take a late flight out to BKK & OMG you want to see the prices. Vietjet used to do a return at about 120usd but changed days I suppose best I can see is about 350usd

@goodolboy

Moc Bai border crossing will be open, though I suspect it will be manned by junior officers who've been scheduled to work the holidays :)  They might look a tad sombre.

What bike will you be using?

Got an estimate in mind on how long you think it will take you, from home to the border?

Then to back home, total time?

Would be nice to compare your estimate(s) to the actual time it takes.

That time of the month again, off to Moc Bai tomorrow morning on me bike first thing. First time in many many years I am doing it DIY without my agent Ms Anna holding my hand. Thanks to OB for contact in Da Nang to get my new 90 days Vietnam tourist e visa while still here in Vietnam & actually excelled myself (wonders never cease) by filling in & getting my Cambodia e visa on line without any problems, it was surprisingly easy actually.        -@goodolboy

Well it must be an age thing as I am usually well ahead of the game planning wise etc but just remembered its a holiday tomorrow 18th for the old kings birthday. Hope Moc Bai is open for business tomorrow. Been checking on flights out if I have to take a late flight out to BKK & OMG you want to see the prices. Vietjet used to do a return at about 120usd but changed days I suppose best I can see is about 350usd

-@goodolboy

immigration offices don't work on the holidays but you already have your visa.

I've never heard of the border crossings being closed on holidays.

That time of the month again, off to Moc Bai tomorrow morning on me bike first thing. First time in many many years I am doing it DIY without my agent Ms Anna holding my hand. Thanks to OB for contact in Da Nang to get my new 90 days Vietnam tourist e visa while still here in Vietnam & actually excelled myself (wonders never cease) by filling in & getting my Cambodia e visa on line without any problems, it was surprisingly easy actually.        -@goodolboyWell it must be an age thing as I am usually well ahead of the game planning wise etc but just remembered its a holiday tomorrow 18th for the old kings birthday. Hope Moc Bai is open for business tomorrow. Been checking on flights out if I have to take a late flight out to BKK & OMG you want to see the prices. Vietjet used to do a return at about 120usd but changed days I suppose best I can see is about 350usd        -@goodolboy

immigration offices don't work on the holidays but you already have your visa.

I've never heard of the border crossings being closed on holidays.

-@OceanBeach92107

Yea got a message from agent & all ok. Had a senior moment!!

@goodolboy
Moc Bai border crossing will be open, though I suspect it will be manned by junior officers who've been scheduled to work the holidays smile.png  They might look a tad sombre.
What bike will you be using?
Got an estimate in mind on how long you think it will take you, from home to the border?
Then to back home, total time?

Would be nice to compare your estimate(s) to the actual time it takes.

-@Aidan in HCMC

Bike is Suzuki Intruder

From Tan Phu to the border will take about 3 hours max including 2 stops for coffee or water. I lived for 8+ years at Trang Bang which is about 15 km from the border so I know the road well.

Coming back I will visit some old haunts, see how my old house is these days & see how the "LOVE HOTEL" I had built is doing & drop in past some friends, see if anyone recognises me after all these years. So coming back will take longer.

Quiz for today......what happened at Trang Bang that a very famous photo was taken of?

June 8, 1972  A picture was taken of a young girl running from a napalm attack.  Nick Ut, the photographer, set down his camera and his subsequent actions saved the girl's (Kim Phuc) life.  i would suggest reading Kim's book, ”Fire Road” for the details 

This event has a special meaning to me as both Nick and Kim are personal friends of mine.

June 8, 1972  A picture was taken of a young girl running from a napalm attack.  Nick Ut, the photographer, set down his camera and his subsequent actions saved the girl's (Kim Phuc) life.  i would suggest reading Kim's book, ”Fire Road” for the details 
This event has a special meaning to me as both Nick and Kim are personal friends of mine.

-@garycounihan

yup you got it..........her family still live in the Trang Bang area & have a small food shop there. I have eaten there many times. My first house was about 3 km up the road ..

@goodolboy

I had the pleasure of meeting her at a Vietnamese wedding in Toronto, many years ago. A humble, well spoken lady.

@godsontn

Were you able to resolve your issue?

@aremuabisoye

No, I wasn't able to use the earlier options, I kept stumbling on obstacles along the way. I applied for Malaysia e-visa twice and it was rejected.

I eventually opted for India visa and physically went to their consulate in Ho Chi Minh city. What I ended up spending just to do a visa run is crazy.

There seem to be a biased blanket treatment on some passport holders and so unfair.

Pls, is it mandatory to pay for insurance when applying for Vietnam e-visa? If yes, can anyone recommend the cheapest?

Also,  I paid for a return ticket from Ho chi minh city to New Delhi and back. Would the immigration request for another ticket out of Vietnam when I return?

Pls, is it mandatory to pay for insurance when applying for Vietnam e-visa? If yes, can anyone recommend the cheapest?

No sir, not mandatory.

Also,  I paid for a return ticket from Ho chi minh city to New Delhi and back. Would the immigration request for another ticket out of Vietnam when I return?
        -@godsontn

VN immigration does not require proof of onward travel. That said, the airline you fly with may. Best to check with the airline prior to your departure date.

@godsontn

Thanks alot for this thread.

I am Nigerian willing, A software engineer and Robot teacher willing to move to VN with my wife who is American.

My only issue with the moving is the Visa run.

I went to Cambodia last year September and i was sent back from by the custom for been Nigerian even though i had enough cash on me that could last me for a year there.

I hope you are able to figure out a solution to this and is this your first visa run?

I paid for a return ticket from Ho chi minh city to New Delhi and back. Would the immigration request for another ticket out of Vietnam when I return?
    -@godsontn

This is essentially the same situation you previously outlined in this thread when you were first planning to enter Vietnam.

(You already acknowledged my lengthy answer there)

Entry requirements on a tourist visa are always the same.

@godsontn

I spoke with another Nigerian in VN who said he used Malaysia last month.

Not sure what has changed, i'd be happy to connect you with him so he explained how he did it.

Sorry it seems that the Nigerian world famous scammers are having some effect on how ordinary Nigerian backpackers / travellers are being treated.